Sign in to follow this  
topcat_1952

Honeycomb Alpha Yoke Magneto Switch

The Honeycomb Alpha Yoke system looks great but I am wondering how anyone else "out there" handles the magneto switch that comes with the unit. It's fine if flying a single piston but what about a twin engine. Is there a way to program the mag control on the yoke to handle starting two engines? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Denny Knepper

Newville, PA USA

With the help of commands in the lua script you can easily do what you want.

I think you’ll need some software such as FSUIPC or LINDA. LINDA specifically would be my though, as you can program “shift states”. In state one it can control engine 1, then you press a button to move to a second state and it can run the second engine. 

Eric Szczesniak

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid programming but I'll look into it. Where do I find LINDA (no puns please 😊) ?

3 hours ago, topcat_1952 said:

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid programming but I'll look into it. Where do I find LINDA (no puns please 😊) ?

You are taking all of the fun, outta the job!   😉

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

you dont actually need to code anything if you don't want to. What I've done is to simply create an engine 1 and engine 2 buttons profile within xplane, and assigned a key that will bring up the profiles menu on-the-fly in the sim. Start engine 1, switch to the engine 2 profile (via your hotkey) and strat engine 2. It's all done within the x-plane menus...no programming needed.

The only time you really need to code for something like this is when you have a plane which uses custom commands (datarefs) assigned to it's panel switches instead of default xplane commands.

• Like 1

@topcat_1952 I'm wondering if you figured out an elegant solution for this.  I'd like to avoid going into the menus if possible, and assign a hotkey using a lua script (if possible) to toggle between engine 1 and engine 2.  

Hope you got it sorted out!

Did not even try. I was too scared. The Honeycomb is actually back in the closet. I am using my desk for the computer and it was too much trouble to remove the middle drawer, then attach the yoke every time I wanted to fly, so I revered back to my X-56 setup. Perhaps someday I'll be able to have a separate table to set up my flight sim. The rudder pedals are also in the closet since my chair has wheels and every time I used them, I pushed myself away from the desk. 🙁

Hi I am using P3D v5 And was hoping someone can give me a walk through on how to set up my Honeycomb Yoke starter switch for twin engines ie first one engine then the other, preferably using P3D menu but I am open to learn any other way bearing in mind I am a newbie Many thanks Paul

I have found my answer. I know this is off topic and relates to Prepar 3d. But in Options / Key Assignments is an item called "Engine (Select)" which by default is mapped to keyboard E. If you press E then 1 the left engine only will start with the Magneto switch, and E then 2 is the right engine. Pressing E again brings you back to normal. Hope this helps

On 6/8/2020 at 4:00 PM, Paulcoy said:

I have found my answer. I know this is off topic and relates to Prepar 3d. But in Options / Key Assignments is an item called "Engine (Select)" which by default is mapped to keyboard E. If you press E then 1 the left engine only will start with the Magneto switch, and E then 2 is the right engine. Pressing E again brings you back to normal. Hope this helps

Great tip.  Worked like a champ.  Thank you.  👍

Bill  N7IBG