Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Wheel Falls Off Plane As It Takes Off, Captured On Video

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I've seen that last week in Canadian Media, if I was a passenger that would not have scared me, it is engineered with redundancy and did what it was supposed to. Media is annoying 🤣 

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

I've seen that last week in Canadian Media, if I was a passenger that would not have scared me, it is engineered with redundancy and did what it was supposed to. Media is annoying 🤣 

Hm, if they would have changed both mainwheels, they would have most likely lost both wheels, not a comfortable thought. Such errors fortunately happen only very seldom.

Btw, the second wheel is not there for redundancy!

Edited by FDEdev

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Btw, the second wheel is not there for redundancy!

But when you are aware of that situation you can make it work

Matthew Kane

What is it with the Dash 8 and landing gear issues? Seems to happen quite often. 

8 hours ago, james42 said:

What is it with the Dash 8 and landing gear issues? Seems to happen quite often. 

They had three incidents back in 2007 but were related to the locking mechanism due to corrosion. The issue was sorted and re certified. No injuries or fatalities related to it, considering this is a now 36 year old aircraft that is an exemplary safety record, but the media likes to bash aircraft. Always look at the statistic and ignore the media when it comes to aviation.

This one obviously has nothing to do with the locking mechanism and looks to be a mechanical failure. 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

2 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

They had three incidents back in 2007 but were related to the locking mechanism due to corrosion. The issue was sorted and re certified. No injuries or fatalities related to it, considering this is a now 36 year old aircraft that is an exemplary safety record, but the media likes to bash aircraft. Always look at the statistic and ignore the media when it comes to aviation.

This one obviously has nothing to do with the locking mechanism and looks to be a mechanical failure.

I agree, the Dash 8 is a solid aircraft. But landing gear issues are very common with the type. I just had a click through all the Dash 8 occurrences in the Aircraft Safety Networks database and a huge majority do seem to be landing gear related. Both nose gear and main gear failures. 

Also, i did a quick search for Dash 8 wheel looses and found 4 more incidences:        

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6177401.stm

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/ea/Midair-scare-kenyan-plane-silverstone-emergency-landing/4552908-5327926-5x0cfyz/index.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f672e5274a1317000619/DHC-8-402_Dash_8__G-JEDR_11-11.pdf

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/05/15/new.york.tire.plane/index.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

but the media likes to bash aircraft...

Speaking of media representation, at least the aircraft losing a wheel in the video was a Cessna and not a Jumbo Jet.. :laugh::dry::happy:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Speaking of media representation, at least the aircraft losing a wheel in the video was a Cessna and not a Jumbo Jet.. :laugh::dry::happy:

A Cessna?  Does Textron/Cessna also own the De Havilland Canada brand now?   The Dash8 is closer to a jumbo jet than any Cessna aircraft (?) that I can think of.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 hours ago, james42 said:

I agree, the Dash 8 is a solid aircraft. But landing gear issues are very common with the type. I just had a click through all the Dash 8 occurrences in the Aircraft Safety Networks database and a huge majority do seem to be landing gear related. Both nose gear and main gear failures. 

Also, i did a quick search for Dash 8 wheel looses and found 4 more incidences:        

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6177401.stm

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/ea/Midair-scare-kenyan-plane-silverstone-emergency-landing/4552908-5327926-5x0cfyz/index.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5422f672e5274a1317000619/DHC-8-402_Dash_8__G-JEDR_11-11.pdf

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/05/15/new.york.tire.plane/index.html

The four you found also have nothing to do with the grounding and re certification of the locking mechanism. But like I said look at the statistics and clearly you are not doing that because you are still looking at the media for examples 😫

Reason why the Dash 8 has the 'Stork Style' landing gear under the wings compared to the ATR having a much lower landing gear that retracts into the hull is to certify the Dash 8 for arctic operations. Remember that the Dash 8 is coming from a long line of predecessors designed for bush operations, the Beaver to the Otter to the Twin Otter to the Dash Series and now the 'Q' series. The long gear allows it to land on gravel runways which you cannot do with the ATR because gravel will damage the landing gear on an ATR. This aircraft is still manufactured in the same factory that the Beavers and Otters were produced so that company always designed aircraft for Canada's extreme northern conditions. Yes it has some drawbacks with the length of the gear but over 34 years you only came up with a very small number of incidents, none involving any injuries or fatalities, if you want to claim this aircraft has major issues by all means but here is a true statistic:
"By 2017, the Q400 aircraft had logged 7 million flight hours with 60 operators and transported over 400 million passengers with a dispatch reliability over 99.5%."

You can see in this picture the difference in landing gear style, the ATR cannot land on gravel is it would spit up into the undercarriage and it's nose gear doors are larger, the Dash 8 was designed to land on gravel with longer struts and smaller front nose gear doors to keep gravel out, this is why it has a different design.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

6 hours ago, Mace said:

A Cessna?  Does Textron/Cessna also own the De Havilland Canada brand now?   The Dash8 is closer to a jumbo jet than any Cessna aircraft (?) that I can think of.

Nope Bombardier sold it to Viking Air which is a Canadian Company, they are dedicated to the Dash 8's as well as newer Otter series and re-manufacturing Beaver's. Those aircraft are now in the best hands being Canadian once again.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Air

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

11 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

This aircraft is still manufactured in the same factory that the Beavers and Otters were produced so that company always designed aircraft for Canada's extreme northern conditions. 

I disagree with design for extrem northern conditions. I always thought that the Dash7 and 8  were built exlusively for the Caribbean area since they had the worst cockpit heating imaginable. The Dash7 even had electric cockpit heaters but that didn't help much.

In winter we had to fly with skiing underwear to keep from freezing to death in the cockpit! 

11 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

I disagree with design for extrem northern conditions. I always thought that the Dash7 and 8  were built exlusively for the Caribbean area since they had the worst cockpit heating imaginable. The Dash7 even had electric cockpit heaters but that didn't help much.

In winter we had to fly with skiing underwear to keep from freezing to death in the cockpit! 

Air Canada (Jazz Air) has been it's largest operator and Canada as a nation are flying more of them than any other country by far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bombardier_Dash_8_operators

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

1 minute ago, FDEdev said:

And where's the connection to the cockpit heating?

Perhaps your operator removed it or didn't order it. They do have heating on them. I've been on Dash 8's in temperatures way below minus 40 degrees in Canada many times and they were well heated.
Also the first Dash 8 Customer was NorOntair which is a Canadian operator not a Caribbean one 

Matthew Kane