Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

New NV driver has max framerate setting

Hello,

I've set frame limit to 40. It works ok: after loading any aircraft (A320, 737Ngxu) I have 40 frames.

But when I undock pop-up panel, I have only 20 frames (40/2). When I undock two pop-up panels, fps drops to 13 (40/3).

Does smb know why?

With multi monitor it helped me to turn off vsync 

Edited by rob0203

The reason we see VSync and limits set at higher fps 30+ is because it ignores early frames. Ignoring early frames causes the little judder or micro stutter. So when we check out the Frame lock slider control down at 20fps and try VSync On and Off, it's smoother off because the frame time is longer. The Locked fps slider setting is better for lower fps it produces a very accurate frame to frame period, vsync does not.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, MichalP said:

Hello,

I've set frame limit to 40. It works ok: after loading any aircraft (A320, 737Ngxu) I have 40 frames.

But when I undock pop-up panel, I have only 20 frames (40/2). When I undock two pop-up panels, fps drops to 13 (40/3).

Does smb know why?

I can replicate this exactly.

It looks like the Nvidia frame rate limiter is seeing each window as a new screen and sharing the frame rate between the two and then three.

This would seem to be a very good reason to either not undock P3D windows or if you wish to undock windows, to not use the Nvidia frame rate limiter at all.

Edited by Reader

I currently use either 40 FPS locked internally when running my monitor at 120 Hz or 43 FPS at 144 FPS.  Usually can maintain at least 25-28 FPS in the heaviest scenarios with a majority of the time 35+.  Vsync and TB off internally, Gsync forced on in full screen and windowed mode via NCP globally and P3D.

Will have to give this 40 FPS max a try.

Running in windowed mode with a Gsync monitor, recently, my biggest issue seems to be either seems to be stutters starting in consistently when minimizing the window, popping up a 2D panel, or interacting with the menu bar.  It’s odd.  I can have a very smooth experience but if stutters start occurring, I either need to hide (or show) the menu bar, minimize the window, or go into “pseudo” full screen and back to return to smooth panning and flying.  Almost seems like Gsync is fighting with something or simply turning off.

I stopped limiting frames externally because of the infamous DXGI error.  Anyone see those with this new method?

Edited by CaptKornDog

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

I currently use either 40 FPS locked internally when running my monitor at 120 Hz or 43 FPS at 144 FPS.  Usually can maintain at least 25-28 FPS in the heaviest scenarios with a majority of the time 35+.  Vsync and TB off internally, Gsync forced on in full screen and windowed mode via NCP globally and P3D.

Will have to give this 40 FPS max a try.

Running in windowed mode with a Gsync monitor, recently, my biggest issue seems to be either seems to be stutters starting in consistently when minimizing the window, popping up a 2D panel, or interacting with the menu bar.  It’s odd.  I can have a very smooth experience but if stutters start occurring, I either need to hide (or show) the menu bar, minimize the window, or go into “pseudo” full screen and back to return to smooth panning and flying.  Almost seems like Gsync is fighting with something or simply turning off.

I stopped limiting frames externally because of the infamous DXGI error.  Anyone see those with this new method?

Are you not getting the G-Sync flicker? I tried the latest driver but the G-Sync flicker is still there for me so I turned it back off.

Daniel

Define “flicker” I suppose.  Literally a screen flickering on and off?

If that’s what you mean, no I’m not seeing that.

8 hours ago, deltaalpha said:

Are you not getting the G-Sync flicker? I tried the latest driver but the G-Sync flicker is still there for me so I turned it back off.

Flicker happens with FreeSync compatible monitors. I had nasty flickering in XP11, when I've set FreeSync range to 38-76hz (instead of default 48-76). P3D seems to ignore FreeSync, maybe my monitor is not fully compatible with GSYNC. Although one user with the exact same AOC monitor said FreeSync works fine in P3D even with 38-76hz range. Confused.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

15 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Define “flicker” I suppose.  Literally a screen flickering on and off?

If that’s what you mean, no I’m not seeing that.

What mine does is goes brighter than back to the normal color real quick.  It doesn't affect the whole screen.  You can kind of see what I'm talking about here starting around the 2:55 mark.

11 hours ago, Pe11e said:

Flicker happens with FreeSync compatible monitors. I had nasty flickering in XP11, when I've set FreeSync range to 38-76hz (instead of default 48-76). P3D seems to ignore FreeSync, maybe my monitor is not fully compatible with GSYNC. Although one user with the exact same AOC monitor said FreeSync works fine in P3D even with 38-76hz range. Confused.

I've never been able to get P3D to work with GSYNC, it's always flickered for me so I've always disabled it.  A Couple people in this post don't seem to have that problem with the latest driver but it's still there for me.  Unfortunately the only option for my monitor is 60hz, mine has no other options.

Daniel

With 445.87 I appear to have a slight flicker now (still 4.5 HF3).  So I guess back to the drawing board.  I'm able to run comfortably at an average of 32-46+ FPS with my latest settings, in nearly every scenario (including weather and night).  And I get bursts of "smoothness", like GSync is fighting something...typically minimizing my window and reopening it temporarily resolves it but I'm no longer able to successfully hone in on which FPS limiter, GSync, or other display settings will keep GSync running the whole time to keep a smooth scene.

Edited by CaptKornDog

G-sync flicker is because your backlight isn’t fast enough to keep up with the rapidly changing refresh rate, which is tied to the FPS. (And this affects the colours, as the colours behave differently and the colours change with lower hertz.)  The only way to eliminate it is by getting a better monitor. I recently purchased an LG ultra gear 38GL950G and from 30-160 hertz there is zero flickering. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

PS, a proper G-sync monitor (and not a compatible one with vrr range) is hardware based, and will be smooth all the way from 20fps Ish to the monitors max refresh range.