Sign in to follow this  
jaytee73

Flight 1 GTN 750/650 Integration

I have a number of Albeo and Carenado A/C that use the term as per title - all later models.

(Actually - they do not mention 650 - but Flight1 website now states that both are offered for the one price

and are not separated).

I  assume that many on here are using this addon -- and I've seen a few videos for GTN750 -and it looks useful 

but is it worth  nearly $A100 .

Most of the videos are American in use and other parts of the world are not seen - EG Oceana - Europe - or SE Asia

all of which are base scenery in P3D boosted by Orbx global and LCs. I would love to see the flight planning in these areas

especially since they say the whole world and its airports are mapped and IFR detailed etc

What problems - if any - have surfaced during installation  - particularly in P3D since they make a big thing 

about being for 4.51  hotfix

Only problem I find is that the Garmin databases only have greater than 4000 ft airfields so they are not much use for GA flying.

Harry Woodrow

I have been using the Flight 1 GTN750 for years and, when I upgraded it a few years ago, I also got the GTN650 which was included in the package. Basically they both do the same thing although the interface on the 650 is slightly more cumbersome to use because of its smaller size and where possible I prefer to use the 750 for this reason. Quite honestly, I wouldn't be without the GTN750 now and use it for almost every flight (other than when using airliners equipped with properly functioning FMCs).

Although the Flight 1 GTN series comes with the full gamut of interactive charts (arrival, departure, approach and airfield) for US airports it still is very useful for both VFR and IFR flying in other parts of the world and has a lot of functionality including plenty of SIDs, STARs and approaches to choose in its flight planner. I do a lot of my simulator flying outside of the United States particularly in Europe and I still find the GTN extremely useful. I am not sure what Harry is referring to in his post above, but the Flight 1 GTN includes a vast number of small airfields with runways a lot less than 4000ft long in its database including tiny airfields with grass runways and so it is a great utility to have available even when flying GA VFR flights.

I can't recollect any big problems installing it but, as I use it in FSX I will leave it to others to comment on any installation issues in P3D.

In answer to your question is it worth the money, I would have to say, without hesitation, yes! For me, much like a good weather addon, the GTN it is an essential part of my set up.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fully agree with Bill. Used the 750 for years now with no problems whatsoever. I have the 650 too but rarely ever have use for it.

My experience has been much like Bill's, but I recently changed from Flight1 to RXP for my GTN's.  I have had some problems with the Flight1 units... since last winter (P3Dv4.4 update) I could not get the Flight1 GTN's to hold an affinity setting I input into the Configurator.  Worked with the developer to solve the problem but had no success.  Both developers use the same Garmin database in their products (I believe RXP updates theirs more often).  RXP has their forums right here at Avsim, and support from the developer and community is much better with the RXP products.

No matter which product your choose, flying with the GTN is a real joy.  It truly is a game changer; from flight planning to execution to enhanced situational awareness... everything is better with the GTN!  And yes, like Bill, my GTN's are as important to my flight sim experience as Active Sky! 👍

Greg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scianoir said:

the Flight 1 GTN includes a vast number of small airfields with runways a lot less than 4000ft long

The simulator gauges are based on the Garmin GTN trainer. There are a number of databases in circulation. My understanding from about two years ago is that the worldwide database, with all the additions especially in North America of an explosion in the number of new RNAV/GPS approaches, just grew too large.  So I believe Garmin "dumbed down" the largest database by whittling it down to approaches at airports with a minimum runway length.  4,000 ft or equivalent?  Do not know if that length is fact or hearsay.  But size management came into play.  At the same time it is my understanding that Garmin began to create and distribute additional but separate regional databases that were not whittled down that way.  So believe that runway size restriction can be circumvented with the right database.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere