Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

737-800 down; 176 killed

All 176 passengers and nine crew members on board the Boeing 737-800 aircraft were killed. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-among-176-killed-in-passenger-plane-crash-in-iran-1.4757783

This is sad all around for families, loved ones... and Boeing.

I heard an aviation expert today say that the debris field was indicative of the aircraft braking up in the air, I know we shouldn't speculate about what happened but I know what my gut feeling is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Avidean said:

I know what my gut feeling is.

Same here

I saw some pictures that appeared to show a multitude of punctures over parts of the tail, fuselage and wing.  I know what my gut is telling me about that.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Being an old aircraft engine maintainer & investigator, initial appearance of field, have to agree with above. But speculation is never good, we may never know for sure about this one. Sad!!!

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

These holes through the wing have the shape of turbine blades and should that be the case its conceivable a catastrophic failure caused a massive fuel leak and fire , can be caused by ingesting a rock or other debris on takeoff .  The shrapnel marks seen from a missile are typically more numerous and smaller .

My condolences to the families and people involved , a curiously large number of Canadian engineers were on board .

Best CJ

shrapnel.jpg

• Upvote 1

I heard Iran is not going to turn the black boxes over to Boeing so they can try to determine the cause of the crash.  I know what my gut is telling me about that.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

55 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I heard Iran is not going to turn the black boxes over to Boeing so they can try to determine the cause of the crash.  

That's quite normal, e.g. also in the case of the Ethiopian 737Max crash the Black Boxes have been investigated in France initially, and have not been given to Boeing either. For good reason apparently. 

Edited by mikealpha
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to a video of the plane on-fire as it falls from the sky and then explodes as it hits the ground. What a terrifying 34 seconds!

From the direction of flight and occlusion from the fuselage, it would appear the starboard engine was on fire.

https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/1214756252749877250

Just now on the news a "credible source" stated that a spy satellite shows evidence that the aircraft was mistakenly targeted by a missile. Personally I find it somewhat suspicious that anyone just happened to capture this on his cellphone camera at the very instant the aircraft was on fire and crashing. It is also suspicious that this occurred at the same time as Iran fired missiles at the two airbases in Iraq.

I won't bother translating what the cameraman was saying in Farsi, as it was mostly variations on "word not allowed" anyway...

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very sad to see this is looking like it was deliberate, a lot of Persian-Canadians on board that flight and Canada has a very large Persian population. To be honest you can't live in a city in Canada and not have a Persian friend, I had quite a few when I used to live there and shared an office with a very cool guy from Iran, as well as an ex-girlfriend from my younger days. 

The turbulent relations with Iran has been going on since 1979 and this is just another chapter in that book. Very sad

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

31 minutes ago, cepact said:

Entirely rules out 'mechanical issue' and even a 'catastrophic failure', if this video is indeed genuine.

These reports (again, if true), would also suggest cover-up:
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1215335543464235008

What a waste of life.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter