Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Does Nvidia driver download 441.87 include NCP?

My Usual driver update procedure is to to go into my P3D directory and run "Delete Generated Files".

Then reboot in safe mode and run DDU.

Then reboot and do a clean install of the new driver.

After doing this 441.87 I discovered that although the driver

installed, Nvidia Control Panel is missing. In fact I got a popup

on reboot that said Nvidia Control Panel is missing and a suggestion

to download it from Microsoft Store.

After googling this I found 3 solution including the one above.

Once was to find in the Nvidia corporation file

and the other was to find it in the control panel and

add it to desktop context menu.

Its just not there!

I did a system restore and back to the old driver and NCP was back

along with the old driver. Then just for heck of it I did a clean install

of 441.87 without removing the old driver and NCP was there.

Makes me think that the Control panel is simply not included

in the 441.87 driver download?

Nvidia has recently begun trying to drive its customers to the Microsoft Store for driver downloads. They do this by giving the end user their DCH drivers rather than the GRD ( Game Ready Drivers) we are use to downloading. The DCH drivers do not include the Control Panel; the GRDs do. Best solution is to not download Nvidia drivers from their page. Go to TechPowerup or Techspot to download the drivers. As I recall (not at my computer now) the 441.87 GRDs are about 575 MB... the DCH are about 525 MB.

Greg

• Like 1

I download mine straight from the GeForce Experience app

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The F*&^*&%^*&%^*&%^$%$&(^%()(*&(*%%$#%$ing B)(&*&^&%^*%^&($%&^%&*^d's

EDIT: Yeah that's what it is alright. I see DCH in the download name even though I selected the game

ready driver for Download. The DCH is 529MB.

That's a few hours of trying to get to the bottom of a problem thinking there was something wrong with my system.

Way to go Nvidia. I won't forget that when it comes to my next GPU upgrade. I'll definitely be looking more closely

at AMD.

Yeap, the GRD is 575MB

Oh and just call me Sherlock! 🤣

Edited by Avidean
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Nvidia has recently begun trying to drive its customers to the Microsoft Store for driver downloads. They do this by giving the end user their DCH drivers rather than the GRD ( Game Ready Drivers) we are use to downloading. The DCH drivers do not include the Control Panel; the GRDs do. Best solution is to not download Nvidia drivers from their page. Go to TechPowerup or Techspot to download the drivers. As I recall (not at my computer now) the 441.87 GRDs are about 575 MB... the DCH are about 525 MB.

Greg

Cant thank you enough. 😁

Problem solved!

Edited by Avidean
  • Upvote 1

Just so you know one of the questions put to AMD at CES by Gamers Nexus was when are you going to sort out the GPU drivers that keep dropping out. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Glad to help.  I suffered the same experience the other night right after I learned of the release of the 441.87's (was interested in their frame rate lock).  I had heard of Nvidia's DCH driver fiasco with MS, so luckily I knew what the problem was right away.  But I had to scrub the DCH's (like you I had made sure to select the GRD's at Nvidia's download page... but now they're just forcing the DCH's on us anyway), and then install the GRD's.  Obviously, both Nvidia and Microsoft couldn't care less about wasting their customer's time.

If you want to make your life even easier, before installing a new driver run the driver package thru NVSlimmer to remove the tons of bloatware Nvidia includes with their drivers.  Just package the stuff you need... very cool!  For instance, I don't game so all I need is the "Core display driver", "Install Core", and the "USB Type-C Port" driver.  Done... easy peasy... install only what you want/need!

In the end, these drivers seem just fine once we get past jumping thru their hoops.  I even think the Alpha textures look a bit better with this set.  YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Greg

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Best solution is to not download Nvidia drivers from their page

As far as I know, you can download Game Ready Drivers directly from Nvidia website:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/156282

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

27 minutes ago, edpatino said:

As far as I know, you can download Game Ready Drivers directly from Nvidia website:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/156282

Cheers, Ed

Seems it should be that way, Ed.  The page you linked to claims, "GeForce Game Ready Driver", but the file size reveals to me that this package is the DCH drivers (without the Control Panel).  Your linked package is what I originally downloaded... and got no CP.  It's really low what Nvidia and MS are doing here, but the solution is easy.  Download your Nvidia drivers from a trusted source... not Nvidia.

Sad, really!

Greg

• Like 1

I downloaded from this page yesterday, Game Ready and with NCP, no issues at all:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

15 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Seems it should be that way, Ed.  The page you linked to claims, "GeForce Game Ready Driver", but the file size reveals to me that this package is the DCH drivers (without the Control Panel).  Your linked package is what I originally downloaded... and got no CP.  It's really low what Nvidia and MS are doing here, but the solution is easy.  Download your Nvidia drivers from a trusted source... not Nvidia.

Sad, really!

Greg

Something's wrong, but I do have the CP installed on my computer with the latest driver I've installed from their site, v441.41. I think it gave me the option to install or not.

Will check anyway when I do the update to a newer version, something that I don't do very often anyway.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 minutes ago, gsand said:

I downloaded from this page yesterday, Game Ready and with NCP, no issues at all:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Nope that's the DCH driver too.

Did you guys remove the old driver with DDU before installing the new one?

You might be using the NCP that came with the previous driver install

Edited by Avidean

Just now, Avidean said:

Did you guys remove the old driver with DDU before installing the new one?

The Nvidia installer gives the option to do a "clean installation", that way you can remove any remains from previous drivers and have a safe installation. I always tick that option, no need to run DDU at each driver update, in my opinion.

I use DDU let's say after every three or four drivers updates, so maybe once per year.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

12 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Nope that's the DCH driver too.

Says it's Game Ready and NCP is definitely there, just updated yesterday:

HuJSVCG.png

Edited by gsand
  • Like 1

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5