Sign in to follow this  
Travel

Thinking about getting fsx... Need help

Hey, so im currently thinking about getting fsx and i have a few questions.

Is it still worth buying?

Will it run good on my machine? Gtx 1060 3gb Vram i7 and 8gb of RAM.

And last, is it any good with either a ps4 controller mouse or keyboard? I do not own a joystick at the moment..

Thanks in advice :=)

For the moment, FSX is still going strong, but keep in mind that a totally new sim is being released sometime this year.

I would highly recommend investing in a joystick.  That's would be best for any sim you try.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I would say FSX is still definitely worth buying, it's a great low cost way of getting into flight simulation and it should run absolutely fine on your rig. And as Charliearon says definitely invest in a joystick.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I concur with all the above posters.  If you multitask a lot or plan to run add-ons with external applications (for example, Active Sky, Navigraph Charts, and so on), see if you can bump up your RAM to at least 16 GB so you will maximize the 4 GB of VAS (virtual address space) memory that the 32-bit FSX:SE program can utilize.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I agree with what has been said.  One thing, you did not mention is which Intel Core I7 processor is in your computer.  FSX needs speed from the processor, 4GHz or more seems to be the sweet spot.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

26 minutes ago, stans said:

I agree with what has been said.  One thing, you did not mention is which Intel Core I7 processor is in your computer.  FSX needs speed from the processor, 4GHz or more seems to be the sweet spot.

I got 3.60ghz... So does that mean i cant run FSX or am i wrong?

And unfortunately i get a joystick at the moment, 

Edited by Travel

You're probably thinking or looking to something simple like FSX to run in your system, but sincerely I don't see any reason, except limitations of your PC, for not trying P3D, far superior (countless reasons) than FSX. If you want to know more about the main improvements/advantages of P3D over FSX do a search in these forums and try to find a recent post about this.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I cant afford getting p3d at the moment sadly.

thats why im looking into this rather cheaper.

Edited by Travel

Here's the thing.

FSX will run just fine on your machine, I run it with just about full settings with a less powerful laptop. Don't worry about SE or any addons, You will need two service packs. You can google them. I don't know if the ps4 controller will work, but a mouse and keyboard arrows work. It's not a war game. You fly from one place to another. Airport controllers guide you by radio, sort of like the real thing. Or you can go it alone.

People have made a very expensive science out flying FSX. Or you can just use it pretty much right out of the box.

Have fun.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

20 hours ago, Travel said:

No 3.6 GHz should be fine.  The other poster meant 4.0 GHz is optimal, but you do not need maximum settings for the maximum experience.  You can fly with a keyboard and mouse yoke in the meantime.

19 hours ago, edpatino said:

You're probably thinking or looking to something simple like FSX to run in your system, but sincerely I don't see any reason, except limitations of your PC, for not trying P3D, far superior (countless reasons) than FSX. If you want to know more about the main improvements/advantages of P3D over FSX do a search in these forums and try to find a recent post about this.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Hi BF Bullpup (sorry, but you did not sign by your name), you're probably right in saying that this was posted in a FSX forum, but sometimes you made a comment like mine with no intention to hurt anybody, and to call the attention to some users who don't necessarily know about other simulators. I had received good feedback from users that didn't know much about simulators different than FSX just because they left the hobby at some point and had came back after some time to discover the simulator world has evolved or has simply changed. That's all.

Rules have to be applied with some common sense, just my opinion.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

On 1/9/2020 at 6:11 AM, Travel said:

That will work, just do not try full graphics and scenery settings.  There is actually a very good guide to setting up FSX here at Avsim.  I highly recommend following the guide, which can be found at the following link.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hello agian, I am having problem with my ps4 controller, my pc does not regonize it... 

I installed ds4 and everything but my computer does not detect it. I looked in my controll panel if it did and it doesnt, Could use a bit of help, thank you