Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

EP5 Soundscape

Well, Episode 5 certainly delivered the goods.  Not just delivered them but smashed them out of the atmosphere.  My Lord this was my favorite episode yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/10/2020 at 5:58 AM, vin747 said:

most of the posts in this thread are missing the main point.. most important aspect of soundscapes is how the aircraft sounds at various positions, i.e. cockpit, passenger cabin, etc.. in XP11, you have FMOD which gives amazing immersion of the soundscape.. you can take a tour from the cockpit where you hear the avionics humming and then walk along the cabin where you hear the packs and the tone of engine sound changes, and finally the rear where the APU sound gets louder.. this is a BIG deal and any decent aircraft in XP11 is expected to have FMOD.. this may not reverberate much with the P3D crowd as the commercial aircraft in P3D typically don't have cabins.. but some devs like PMDG do a fantastic job of simulating the sounds at different places in the airframe.. i love the PMDG 777 GE90 sounds behind the wing and even though it doesnt have a cabin, the soundscape more than makes up for it.. 

Well? They told you off. Lol

• Like 1

Pretty much disapointed by this episode.

Some features and technologies demonstrated in this episode 5 will certainly enjoy me for 1.5 sec. It's cool to have the birds sound but this is not what I'm expected from a flight simulator.

I want that the sound technology puts me in the seat of the (co)pilot. Where is the headset's impact on how a pilot perceives the sound environnement. Even A2A simulates sounds with and without headset in FSx/P3D. Where is the Active Noise Reducation that lot of GA pilots have ? Where is the difference with passive headset and ANR.

Where are the sound capabilities of FS2020 inside a small GA cockpit where sounds in perceived by the pilot are first of all the mixed of engine sound variation, some cockpit sounds and structural noises but mostly the ATC and copilot/passagers communication ?

Asobo demontrates here a bunch of great technologies, knowledge and skills which don't seems applied to pilot immersion. Asobo, you missed the target of some simmers there.

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

1 hour ago, vbazillio said:

Some features and technologies demonstrated in this episode 5 will certainly enjoy me for 1.5 sec. It's cool to have the birds sound but this is not what I'm expected from a flight simulator.

I want that the sound technology puts me in the seat of the (co)pilot. Where is the headset's impact on how a pilot perceives the sound environnement. Even A2A simulates sounds with and without headset in FSx/P3D. Where is the Active Noise Reducation that lot of GA pilots have ? Where is the difference with passive headset and ANR.

Where are the sound capabilities of FS2020 inside a small GA cockpit where sounds in perceived by the pilot are first of all the mixed of engine sound variation, some cockpit sounds and structural noises but mostly the ATC and copilot/passagers communication ?

Asobo demontrates here a bunch of great technologies, knowledge and skills which don't seems applied to pilot immersion. Asobo, you missed the target of some simmers there.

Is this satire?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, vbazillio said:

Are you serious?  I'm not sure I honestly understand what your criticisms are, could you elaborate a bit more?

2 hours ago, vbazillio said:

that's kind of the point of their demonstration. They have produced or recorded sounds, which are rendered according to real physical parameters. 

Like light and weather, everything is connected to real physical parameters. 

So the attenuation of headset's is not difficult to reproduce. But the purpose of the video was to make people who are not sound engineers understand this.

But if you don't trust them, turn the sound up to 7.1 and put on real headset's . That will do the trick.

Edited by azulkb

10 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Are you serious?  I'm not sure I honestly understand what your criticisms are, could you elaborate a bit more?

Elaborate more than what I wrote already ? Ok, let do it another way.

I can understand some simmers want to hear the sound of birds. Fair enough. I'm ok with that. But as a pilot, I would like that my the sound features demonstrated in the episode 5 video gets more focus on simulated the pilot experience seated in the plane, talking to ATC (mixing engine noise with ATC and interco sounds) and wearing a headset. As far as I saw the video, the great sound skills and knowledge of Asobo isn't enough targeted to the pilot experience seated in the plane.

Vincent B.

5 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Elaborate more than what I wrote already ? Ok, let do it another way.

I can understand some simmers want to hear the sound of birds. Fair enough. I'm ok with that. But as a pilot, I would like that my the sound features demonstrated in the episode 5 video gets more focus on simulated the pilot experience seated in the plane, talking to ATC (mixing engine noise with ATC and interco sounds) and wearing a headset. As far as I saw the video, the great sound skills and knowledge of Asobo isn't enough targeted to the pilot experience seated in the plane.

Did you miss the parts where they were recording single switches, the part where they were recording cockpit sounds with several different microphones,the part where they were using a device that analyzes the way the cockpit shapes and contents influence the way sound bounces around? Muffling sound from a headset and literally just playing two tracks at the same time for atc and engine sound is something a 13 year old could do with a couple youtube tutorials.

5 minutes ago, nikita said:

Muffling sound from a headset and literally just playing two tracks at the same time for atc and engine sound is something a 13 year old could do with a couple youtube tutorials

I would love they just demontrate these. Not much. Not less. From a pilot perspective. Not from a camera turning all around the plane hearing the wind blow, just to take an example seen in the video.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

2 hours ago, vbazillio said:

Only because it wasn't in the video doesn't mean it won't be in the sim. I don't see how you can jump to such a conclusion based on the video.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Simple, go out and buy a David Clark headset, go out and buy the pc adapter, put it on when flying, and boom, you got your headset muffle...

11 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Only because it wasn't in the video doesn't mean it won't be in the sim. I don't see how you can jump to such a conclusion based on the video.

I'm not writing/saying/claming that I concluded it won't be in the final game. You don't see how I jump... Because I didn't jump 😉

I didn't say that FS2020 won't have this or this. Re read my post. I just writed that THE EPISODE 5 doesn't focus enough on the sound capabilities of Asobo developpers to be in the pilot seat. Again : their skills and knowledge is great. No doubt so far.

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

2 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

I'm not writing/saying/claming that I conclude it won't be in the video. I didn't say that FS2020 won't have this or this. Re read my post. I just writed that THE EPISODE 5 doesn't focus enough on the sound capabilities of Asobo developpers to be in the pilot seat. Again : their skills and knowledge is great. No doubt so far.

In that case I misread your post. I apologize.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

26 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

But as a pilot, I would like that my the sound features demonstrated in the episode 5 video gets more focus on simulated the pilot experience seated in the plane, talking to ATC (mixing engine noise with ATC and interco sounds) and wearing a headset. 

They were just showing the foundation of the sound engine and how it works to show us the possibilities of it, the video doesn't mean it's showing us all they can or will do with that engine.  What you are asking for could easily to accomplished given the sound engine they demonstrated, and if MS doesn't put that in then it will be a cakewalk for someone else to mod that in given the engine's detail.

Given what you want and what we saw yesterday, shouldn't you be more excited than ever for getting what you want?

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying Vincent. I also would have liked to have seen sounds like a fouled plug, a reluctant engine start, or a bad mixture setting demonstrated. This is a flight simulator after all. Once the engine is started you will not hear any of these ambient sounds except for rain on the fuselage or thunder. The difference between night and day sounds is interesting but I have only noticed that in real life when camping in the wilderness. The only difference in everyday life is the reduction in traffic noise. I am just as excited as most about this new simulator but I would like them to focus a little more on the aviation side in their demonstrations.

I feel the same about the weather feature discovery episode. Did anyone notice that there were not any clips of entering or breaking out of overcast in that presentation? Fog and overcast has been an issue with the MSFS series from the beginning. Perhaps they are saving this for the next IFR episode.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4