Sign in to follow this  
meuhey

Open cockpits?

Hello this is my first post, I like slow and light airplanes like those a hundred years ago, does anybody know if  MFS will feature open cockpits technology in their sim and do you guys think there will be a market for vintage airplanes???

• Like 4

At this point no one outside the developer knows what aircraft will be provided on release. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

There will definitely be a market for old planes as there is in both FSX and P3D, and others. I'm a big fan of old planes.

• Like 4

Mike Beckwith

My guess is that we will see lots of addon planes emerge, just like we saw for FSX and P3D.

If you want an early flavor... JustFlight has a nice and well priced Robin DR400 ready to go for those of us who just cannot wait.. just like the one that is featured in the FS2020 videos. 

:cool:

• Like 1

Bert

As a vintage airplane fan i hope for something like this: De Havilland D.H.82, Boeing Stearman PT-17 or Polikarpow Po-2 CSS-11

it would fit so nice in the FS2020 world! 😋

• Like 3

I remember in one of the older MS flightsims there was a collection of old airplanes, and I must admit I NEVER flew one single flight in them, so for me it will only be filling up the hangar.SO there'll always be different opinions on what kind of planes we wish it will include.

But there will no doubt be third parties that will develop / convert some for MSFS.

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

22 minutes ago, jlund said:

I remember in one of the older MS flightsims there was a collection of old airplanes, and I must admit I NEVER flew one single flight in them, so for me it will only be filling up the hangar.SO there'll always be different opinions on what kind of planes we wish it will include.

But there will no doubt be third parties that will develop / convert some for MSFS.

I've never been a great fan of Golden Age aircraft like biplanes until now because the simulation core doesn't do justice to their lightness and frailty. My belief is that the new air dynamics over relief, the weather and the 1000 reference points will be game changers for this class of aircraft. As many, looking forward to a good Stearman. And if the terrain rendition is as good as expected even a slow Vimy or the like. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

18 minutes ago, domkle said:

I've never been a great fan of Golden Age aircraft like biplanes until now..

well one of the first simulated biplanes i flew was around 1982, and this was the Map showing the whole terrain 😅

xX5eQP0.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

well one of the first simulated biplanes i flew was around 1982, and this was the Map showing the whole terrain 😅

I've the A2-FS1 Flight Simulator for the Apple II manual (with the "British Ace" 3D Aerial Battle Game) at about 50 cm from my keyboard right now, as a memento.

PS and yes the Camel could also be an interesting choice for the new sim 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

An open cockpit biplane (such as the Stearman) would be the ultimate test and experience of the new sound system.  So many different variables that affect sound in an open-biplane.  The Stearman has some very interesting quirks that affect sound too.  For example, there is a small RPM range that you cannot stay in.  If you were to stay in it, it causes some very odd vibrations/sounds.  Even when passing through that range, you can hear the vibrations quickly.  Simply the greatest aircraft I have ever flown.  Sounds, Smell, & Feel were all superb.  If only MSFS could find a way to blow the scent of Stearman exhaust out my computer!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ual763 said:

For example, there is a small RPM range that you cannot stay in.  If you were to stay in it, it causes some very odd vibrations/sounds.  Even when passing through that range, you can hear the vibrations quickly.   

Interesting tidbit, thanks ! 

• Like 1

Dominique

With the graphics and realism of the world in MFS an open cockpit plane would really be exciting.

I'm hoping an trike ultralight becomes available at some point, just for scenic sightseeing flying!

• Like 1

I would like to see a gyro copter. That would be fun. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 1/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, 188AHC said:

would like to see a gyro copter. That would be fun. 

Yes that would be great. Also I wonder why we have seen nothing of sail planes. With all the great wind effects I would think that would be an easy and fun addition.