Sign in to follow this  
DaWu

Try to convince me of VR

19 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Er, that's because they're not. :smile: Tend to agree with the rest of it though. DCS is not really a tourist sim because you're a bit busy doing other stuff. Beautifully smooth, which allows formation flying that P3D can't compete with.

Having said that, I've not flown multiplayer in P3D unless it's in JoinFS. Maybe the built in MP is better. I'll have to try it.

I get butter smooth formation flying in FSXSE....just gotta lock frames at 31FPS. Smooth as butter also.

DCS does just look much more fluid and free though, but nothing feels more immersive to me than taking off and flying in formation trips to real places in real world scaled distance.

Knowing that there is constantly a living breathing world below no matter where I land

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

My only concern is the fact you lose sight of your physical controls and I sometimes feel around like a fool or a bump something.

For those things like the Halo Lens... that is where I'd think this would work best. At least you keep your spatial awareness, however, that takes away from the immersion you get from a full VR helmet. For me, the IR tracking will be enough unless my VR helmet can track my throttles and yoke so that I can confidently reach out and grab them.

I'm always up for trying it out with my current setup when available.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:29 AM, tjc_172 said:

My only concern is the fact you lose sight of your physical controls and I sometimes feel around like a fool or a bump something.

For those things like the Halo Lens... that is where I'd think this would work best. At least you keep your spatial awareness, however, that takes away from the immersion you get from a full VR helmet. For me, the IR tracking will be enough unless my VR helmet can track my throttles and yoke so that I can confidently reach out and grab them.

I'm always up for trying it out with my current setup when available.

This my concern as well.  I have a yoke, throttles, switch panel and a map on a second monitor.  How does one deal with this in VR?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

18 hours ago, ricka47 said:

This my concern as well.  I have a yoke, throttles, switch panel and a map on a second monitor.  How does one deal with this in VR?

Most of us have yokes, pedals and throttles and that´s not a problem, it becomes very intuitive after a few flights. Switch panels, maps and other monitors is a bit complicated to find them good use in VR since there´s no sense in using external switches when you use the "real "ones in the life-size cockpit. And about maps can´t really tell if there´s a tool to use them on VR (I think there is one for X-Plane that lets you have Windows where you can put maps, or pdfs for charts in the flight deck) but I fly with flight1´s GTN750 and programming it before taking off, inside the silent cockpit, is a ritual for me.

And believe me, doing the external pre-flight check in VR (with a life-size plane beside you) is an extraordinary experience.

After watching the new graphics and atmosphere in airports and landscapes I can´t wait to try VR in the new MFS2020. 

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I tried it with the HP Reverb. It was really amazing (in DCS), but unfortunately I had to return it, as I couldn't get used to it. I suffered to much from motion sickness... 😞

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, chass32 said:

Most of us have yokes, pedals and throttles and that´s not a problem, it becomes very intuitive after a few flights. Switch panels, maps and other monitors is a bit complicated to find them good use in VR since there´s no sense in using external switches when you use the "real "ones in the life-size cockpit. And about maps can´t really tell if there´s a tool to use them on VR (I think there is one for X-Plane that lets you have Windows where you can put maps, or pdfs for charts in the flight deck) but I fly with flight1´s GTN750 and programming it before taking off, inside the silent cockpit, is a ritual for me.

And believe me, doing the external pre-flight check in VR (with a life-size plane beside you) is an extraordinary experience.

After watching the new graphics and atmosphere in airports and landscapes I can´t wait to try VR in the new MFS2020. 

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks - I may have to give it a shot!

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

1 hour ago, anden145 said:

I tried it with the HP Reverb. It was really amazing (in DCS), but unfortunately I had to return it, as I couldn't get used to it. I suffered to much from motion sickness... 😞

Too bad 😞 Actually I can´t play racing sims cause if there are too many bends on the track I die, but no problem at all with flight sims. Maybe is the low pace or whatever, but flying is perfect for me. I use Il-2 Sturmovik quite often, and there you do a lot of dog fighting and maybe is the thrilling of combat or watching a stuka in flames next to you but no motion sickness at all.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

8 hours ago, chass32 said:

maps and other monitors is a bit complicated

Anybody using IFR plates in VR ? How can you mange this if its difficult to have others windows and maps in VR cockpit ?

• Upvote 1

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

On 5/27/2020 at 6:41 PM, kama2004 said:

Anybody using IFR plates in VR ? How can you mange this if its difficult to have others windows and maps in VR cockpit ?

You can show the desktop in VR and the apps that are running, so if you need to look at a plate you can switch to desktop (or overlay a desktop view over the sim, depending on what VR software the headset uses). There is also FlyInside for example which can be used for VR and it includes the feature to have different windows in the sim that you can drag around and interact with, much like 2D windows like ATC for example.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

How can I show any pro's to someone who probably still codes in Java Enterprise and runs monolithic applications on their own hardware 😉 

All joking aside, I saw this pop up on Reddit so decided to take a visit back to Avsim where I lurked for years. When I put someone in VR for the first time they instantly pick it up, its natural, it feels real, no matter the infancy in it. When I can put my 8 year old daughter or 71 year old father into it, its something special. I have a $22k simulator in my office, and VR at a hardware cost of $500 or so... Guess which is used more by not only myself but family? If I can bring friends and family into aviation without leaving my home, and that makes the experience that much more I am all for it. Regardless of what you want or don't want, there is a reason hundreds of millions are going into VR/AR, its new, its scary, I get it. 

As someone who has spent so much on a hardware sim, sure its money spent. That is what "us" (us being leaders) in technology deal with, should I buy this really good CPU now or wait for a really good one in 6 months, so the cycle continues. 

This is directed at any and all VR naysayers, I get it. But you are the loud minority, the majority is forking out cash (including myself), and it will only continue. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When I took a few real Instrument training flights in a Piper Cherokee (circa 1971) we would wear something looking like a duck's bill upside down calling the imposed blind situation "under the hood" . That is exactly the feeling I get flying in VR, except I can cheat  and look outside...but scarier , really.... when you bump the side of your head on the window in a real plane, you don't end up outside the airplane, that can be freaky, and the onset of fright is sudden and the panic is disturbing, never got that in a real plane....The sense of of altitude is amazing, keeping me steady in my seat, if I move too fast I am actually afraid of disrupting the airplane's center of gravity, a sensation amplified by the shaky syncing of your cockpit view to your bouncing head movements.

I am hooked on VR for XP11 and P3DV4, but v5 seems to suffer performance wise.

I will fly MSFS20 on a 4K monitor with VR something to look forward to, its ok I am used to it at least, and having studied electronics and aviation before  the predominance of chips and onboard flight computers like today's, my game is centered on the admiration of new technology  to mimic reality. We did not even have FS 1 in 1971, we had little rubber airplane forms  gotten as free toys from a box of Cracker Jacks.

Edited by peppy197

have you ever seen that video on YT of a person that had built a cessna homecockpit using 3 screens and hardware interior etc. He then tells about regretting this or at least having second thoughts when he tried out VR after that because even with his hardware cockpit the outside world did not interact. That is what makes all the difference.

Edited by avhpilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I have waited almost two decades to have a flight sim that looks as realistic as MSFS looks to be. I have invested in a 4K ultrawide to be able to view all of it in its full glory. I will not besmirch this sim by turning down graphics and viewing it through the blurry lens of VR headsets with visual artifacts and frame drops/lag. Not for me yet.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

This sim is going to be a showcase for VR, particularly with the higher resolution glasses like HP Reverb G2 that are starting to come out (and in this case Microsoft has invested in). I'm guessing that they may be now aiming to try to get VR implemented for MFS to be close to availability of the HP Reverb G2 in early fall and to further push its sales. Bush flying in this sim even in 2d is going to be pretty great, but in VR its going to be amazing. I'm so dependent and almost fixated on instruments when landing when looking at the 2d monitor even under good VFR conditions whereas in VR in most GA planes, I only need to scan instruments occasionally because of the height perception you gain in VR. And when good helicopters become available for this sim, combined with the scenery and weather, it's going to be flying nirvana for me. Helicopters are so much more natural and easy to control in VR.

• Like 2