Sign in to follow this  
beatle

AOPA Membership - worth it?

I am considering joining AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association). I read that they offer quite a few tools for navigation, some tutorials and more in-sight into real-world aviation. I used to be a member years and years ago during my student pilot year, but I haven't been in quite some time.What do you think?

Guest beana51

YES!!!! You won't regret it. A great instution.Dedecated to Pilots,Aircraft owners,and Aviation.They do a lot of our work to keep Flying a right for all. VIN AOPA# 00702299

The Flight Training Magazine alone is worth the membership:Not to mention:A FREE AOPA airport guide,FREE Cap,A Resourceful website,and a great AOPA Commander for FS 2004 free to all members.AOPA IS A GREAT ORGANIZATION!Jose OteroCFI, CFII

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

You just get Flight Training? I get Pilot too. I also use the IAPs you can print off which as far as everyone in the flight school has found, are actually legal to use for real-world flight (where as the ones on AIRNAV are not).----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest davidvoogd

If you are into General Aviation - Yes... yes... and yes :(I have an international AOPA subscription through the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (IAOPA affiliate). It is worth every penny - the website has an insane amount of great reading on it, the monthly Pilot magazine is fantastic (the best IMO), and if you are a member you help promote General Aviation in the US and the world as well.If you enjoy general aviation you'll greatly benefit from it, if you're only into the jets I'm not sure if it would be the same though.

Also, you'll be able to get Real Time Flight Planner, awesome tool, works good for FS or real world.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

For what it is worth, I would say yes. I don't know much about the organization, but I do hear they do great bake sales and the little sticky thinga ma doobie that you can stick on your car's rear window is very kewl too and will attract the chicks, I am sure. :)Note sig below. :)

Guest beana51

Control yourself man!!:-boom Maby we Simmers should have a cute "LIL" sticker to put on our rear window. "I am a Simmer,:-shy it could proclaim",to which the Chickie's may reply,"Forget it,We want the REAL DEAL!! Don't do Sim stuff".Ya got the picture?:-grr As a member yourself,we know,AOPA, will have a super "BAKE SALE in TAMPA" soon. With 500 aviation exhibits,and seminar's. The "Booby" prize will be the Commander 112.Beats a fortune cookie.But seriously,it is a great organization.They do a lot of lobbying in DC, to preserve Aviation for all. For if others had their way,Simming could become they only way to fly.Its a tough ,constant,battle.For what its worth,As a member, I sent a note to the editor of the AOPA/Pilot magazine,thanking them for the article they published Re:the Simming story. I,for one hope they continue to have articles like that.I believe Simming is the first step for many to purse a career in aviation. Now if some think that I work for their new enrollment dept,well, I would not mind the job.I hear they let you use the company plane.NOT!! CHEERS TO YA!! :-beerchug VIN AOPA#00702299

Guest DreamFleet

I'm flying down to Tampa tomorrow for the annual AOPA Expo. I'll be wearing my 30-year pin. Heck, they noticed it was 30 years since I joined, and sent me a nice winged pin to commemorate it with!Joining AOPA is a no-brainer, and I just donated $100 yesterday to the AOPA Air Safety Foundation, as I do every year. I'm proud that for the last few years that we have promoted AOPA membership at the DreamFleet web site, and will continue to do so.Worth it? That's a question that need not be asked! ;-)I just want to get down there and shake Phil Boyer's hand, as I already sat behind his desk during the AOPA Open House a couple years ago. I could not find the photo of me behind Phil's desk, but I did find this one of my dear friend and pilot, Bruno, sitting behind Phil's desk.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131784.jpgRegards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest DNelson

>the little sticky thinga ma doobie that you can stick on>your car's rear window is very kewl too and will attract the>chicks, I am sure. :)>Hmmm, hasn't worked for me.

Guest beana51

WORKS FOR ME!!,:-cool , then again looks and charm count! Keep trying! VIN ;-)

Actually, it is a Combination of several things that attract the chickies.1) AOPA Sticker....2) I'd rather be rock climbing License plate holder....3) Football Coach hat and shirt on game day (Chicks don't care if your 3-5 right now, they just dig the coach thing)....Then the chicks always hit on you...Be right back, wife is calling. ;-)What....Honey... Yes of course I'm writing about you......Umm ok, only my wife of 17 years hits on me in those instances, but a man can dream can't he?In regards to the AOPA membership. I get a hat, a sticker, another yellow 6 inch ruler, Pilot Magazine, and I spring for the Flight Training Magazine as well. You also get to fly a sim commander as part of your membership dues.Sim Commander for AOPA Members Onlyhttp://www.aopa.org/sweeps/fly/Now, I'll be sitting by the phone awaiting my call this weekend that I just won N112WN, and will go on the Tour to the Bahamas as well next year.http://www.aopa.org/sweeps/There are quite a few benefits for pilots and sim-pilots alike.I hear they also have forums where we can talk politics, too. ;-)Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest beana51

Hi Joe, I kid you not,down here in the Bone yard,the OLE Ducks,are everywhere.Many times a conversation starts by them "Quacking" "Do you fly"?? I reply usually,"Sure wanna see my plane?" That of course is my first mistake.Because ,invariably they do, I cannot believe it.Of course I gotta a wife too.But after married for 51yrs,she figures Hey,no big deal.She forgets,however, I still fly. But I gotta tell ya,That "LIL OLE" sticker is just a"Goodie, Goodie,conversation maker.Almost as good as my flying helmet, white scarf,and pilot glasses.That works every time,especially in the Super market checkout line. For those working on their "Mile High CLUB" pin,I suggest ya join the AOPA, "share the magic!!" In the meantime, I gotta get out of this sun!:-sun1 "DON'T WORRY,BE HAPPY, FOR THE BEST IS YET TO COME!" VIN AOPA#00702299