Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

CES 2020 proved VR and AR are thriving

I kind of think of Vr naysayers as cousins to those who said stuff like if mans was meant to fly..... etc.

Who needs these "phone" things.

Electric light is just a pipe dream....

Fast forwards a few decades......

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Actually the real big thing at CES was 8K OLED TVs designed for gaming.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, HiFlyer said:

I kind of think of Vr naysayers as cousins to those who said stuff like if mans was meant to fly..... etc.

Hell, people even laughed at having to buy an dedicated graphics card... We all know how that went...

On 1/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, HiFlyer said:

It's difficult to predict what will be useful/accepted in the future. Anyone who owns a 3D TV?

3 hours ago, FDEdev said:

It's difficult to predict what will be useful/accepted in the future. Anyone who owns a 3D TV?

That's true, but use a 3D TV for a month, and a VR headset for a month, and see which one you think has greater potential. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, stratosfeerick said:

That's true, but use a 3D TV for a month, and a VR headset for a month, and see which one you think has greater potential. 

Beyond that, VR/AR has now spread to so many different types of applications that for me at least, it's pretty hard to imagine a world that's not practically swimming in it, eventually.

There is even early work (and some actual patents and demos) toward VR contact lenses, which is either promising or scary depending on where it probably takes us.....

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, stratosfeerick said:

That's not the point. The point is that when 3D TV and VR were brand new, it was in both cases impossible to predict if either would work in the long run.

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

That's not the point. The point is that when 3D TV and VR were brand new, it was in both cases impossible to predict if either would work in the long run.

May be hindsight bias on my part in the case of 3D TV, but I don't agree with that assessment. The lesson from the internet or electricity, both of whose utility was vastly underestimated, or even denied at the time of their invention, is that you cannot tell ahead of time which inventions will turn out to be useless. I believe that you can, however, tell which inventions will be useful. It seems to me that as with the steam engine or radar, VR seems poised to be one of those technologies which we can tell from the outset will be useful.  

I loved 3D TV, but since my 3D TV died, I continue to watch my 3D movies...in VR (on Valve Index these days).  Thus, I don't really see 3D as having died (you can still buy 3D Blurays aplenty), but rather as just having moved to a different platform, and gaining what they lacked on TVs.  Watch, for example, Tron 2.0 where in a VR app like Bigscreen, you can watch as the aspect ratio switches from 2D widescreen 2.4:1 to a towering 3D IMAX view on life-sized virtual screens.  Can't do that on a TV and that's why 3D on TV has passed.  I still think 3D TVs are cool, but 3D movies in VR is much, much cooler.

As for flight sims, I play X-Plane exclusively in VR now and wouldn't go back.  Consequently, my interest in whether VR will be supported in FS2020.  If not, I'll pass.  If so, I'll be very, very interested.

If you like to watch 3D movies, or 2D movies, or play flight simulations, I'd recommend Pimax 8K+ which is already on sale. 8KX is even better, but more expensive and not on sale yet. I have a Valve Index which is very good overall VR headset, but the added FOV and clarity is cruxial for moves and flight simulations. When you go for the IMAX mode, the screen can become so big that it exceeds the the smaller FOV. 

Yeah, choosing an HMD is really a matter of choosing the best compromise.  Pimax for FOV, HP Reverb for pixel density, Index for all-round gaming, Oculus for simplicity, etc.  In either case, the bottom line is that VR isn't going anywhere and keeps getting better.  Whether for 3D TV or for simming, it's just really amazing.