Sign in to follow this  
gerrywalsh

Water disappearing

Hi all,

I installed a few textures + the water configuration tool after googling fsx texture mods.

The net result is water disappears as i get close to it.  I don't see any improvement in the game either.

Would i need to completely reinstall to resolve? I have no backup.

Cheers in advance!

Welcome aboard! :happy:  Can you just uninstall those textures and water configuration tool?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Nah, it was a direct paste into the directory. I did the reinstall last night from the 13 year old games disks. took forever

Back and working normal now.

Is there a quick guide on here to making the game looklike it does on those magnificent Youtube videos

It depends upon which magnificent videos (of FSX) you are looking at. The scenery might well be payware, it will probably have an updated and more detailed terrain mesh (payware specific, or freeware), the landclass would probably not be stock either, or the textures might be photoreal, thus making any underlying landclass for that area irrelevant.

Which parts of the world did you have in mind?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Photoreal? Is that payware?

In terms of desirable locations. I live in Ireland so any part of my own country would be great.

Other than that,  Alaska, the alps, monument valley. I could list off 100 places maybe.

If you mean routes, around Europe would be cool

Some photoreal is payware. Photoreal works great when draped over a decent, high resolution terrain mesh, and best when flown over at about 2000 feet plus. Some photoreal sceneries come with such a mesh supplied: VFR Real 3D for England, Scotland & Wales for example.

I believe a photoreal texture of Ireland (& NI too) is available from Megascenery Earth, but I don't know if it comes with a decent terrain mesh or not.

https://www.megasceneryearth.com/DL-MSE-IE.html

However, a good freeware mesh is available for most of the planet - Freemesh X

http://ninetwopro.com/

ORBX does some great payware scenery, but I've not got any experience with their products, having gone the route of default scenery/Freemesh X/ photoreal or custom landclass to at least make large regional areas more accurate - forests, deserts, towns & cities.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 1/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, HighBypass said:

ORBX does some great payware scenery, but I've not got any experience with their products, having gone the route of default scenery/Freemesh X/ photoreal or custom landclass to at least make large regional areas more accurate - forests, deserts, towns & cities.

Just to add to what Mark has said, I have all the Orbx regional scenery for Ireland and the U.K. and I have to say it looks amazing (and may well have been the background scenery in whatever videos you were looking at) but, if you want to see everything as it exists in real life then the only option is photoreal scenery. Don’t get me wrong - the towns, villages, roads, railways, rivers etc are all there and in the right places in the Orbx scenery and the landscape of the countryside is just as you would expect in Britain and Ireland but you are not going to be able to identify your own home or other specific buildings for example. Another advantage of the Orbx scenery is that it looks great even at low level unlike photoreal scenery which, as Mark says, looks good above about 2000ft. 

If you are going to go down the photoreal pathway, Megascenery Ireland is only $11.47 (half price) over at the PC Aviator store so if you want to try it, you won’t lose too much if you decide you don’t like it! However to make it look better you could also get the 3D Environment Real World scenery for Ireland which would add autogen to Megascenery and perhaps make it look a bit better when flying at low level as well as some terrain mesh if necessary as Mark suggested. Have a look at the screenshots of all of these before you buy though. I should add that I personally don’t have any experience of any of these as I use Orbx and am happy with that.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Like 1

Cool beans fellas. I'll make a start with orbx and see where i go from there. Thanks for the detailed responses guys👍

• Like 1