Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

AIRAC cycles

I know that IFR presentation is still ahead of us, but I remember that SID/STAR functionality was mentioned in one of the videos and I was wondering if Asobo is going to use such file format for AIRACs that will be handled by e.g. Navigraph... What do you think?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

functionality

i might be wrong but from what i read MFS2020 is not going to be "big' on "functionality" ..... just pretty's.

for now, cheers

john martin

15 minutes ago, vadriver said:

i might be wrong but from what i read MFS2020 is not going to be "big' on "functionality" ..... just pretty's.

I think you didn’t read enough then... read more.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

As long as the AIRAC can be kept up to date it won't really matter which source it comes from, Microsoft or Navigraph. Currently the latter uses a subscription model which makes sense. If Microsoft take it upon themselves to keep the AIRAC updated it will be interesting to see if they will charge or not.

The one problem with the simulation of flight, is its constant evolution, tomorrow a whole host of changes could be implemented, airway closures, new waypoints etc... makes it pretty crazy to keep up with it all.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

3 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

The one problem with the simulation of flight, is its constant evolution, tomorrow a whole host of changes could be implemented, airway closures, new waypoints etc... makes it pretty crazy to keep up with it all.

Which is precisely why I don't bother to try. The skills one may wish to practice are not truly dependent on the relative currency of the AIRAC cycle. Far more important to me is that the "physical scenery" match the existing database of the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, vadriver said:

i might be wrong  

You are. New weather engine, new air dynamics, new flight modeling architecture. Go and watch the videos on their youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqONzeACDBaF6FfKjh7ndAQ

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

While, I do like the constant upkeep of navdata in the sim, I also hate it because with every update more is taken away from us who enjoy flying VOR-VOR or with NDBs.  Flying will never be the same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vadriver said:

Clearly you haven’t been following the sim.

1 hour ago, ual763 said:

While, I do like the constant upkeep of navdata in the sim, I also hate it because with every update more is taken away from us who enjoy flying VOR-VOR or with NDBs.  Flying will never be the same.

I’m sure A/N ranges and sextants were fun too, but time marches on 😉

• Like 1

I'm sure there's a topic somewhere regarding historic sceneries and flying over then with older avionic fits..

Time does indeed march on, but I guess that we all like to indulge in our hobby in different ways. Then again, when the world goes wrong and all the GPS gets switched off then certain navigation skills might be useful.. :wink:

A bit hypocritical of me because I don't practice much radio navigation, but it kind of makes me sad, much like when I hear of yet another airfield being closed down :blush:

OK I'm being weird now, and digressing..

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

9 hours ago, ual763 said:

Adding missing VORs and NDBs  to X-Plane or FSX/Prepar3D is not hard to do, and I hope that MSFSXX isn't too different in that aspect since I also love to fly IFR without GPS/FMC from time to time.

15 hours ago, n4gix said:

Which is precisely why I don't bother to try. The skills one may wish to practice are not truly dependent on the relative currency of the AIRAC cycle. Far more important to me is that the "physical scenery" match the existing database of the sim.

I fundamentally agree with you with two nuances :

- the growing discrepancies between the present charts we find here and there and the FSX/P3D maps of navaids and waypoints

- and the constant addition of RNAV approaches for small airports

call for a regular maintenance in the sim. But having the last cycle is, to say the least, not my obsession ! 

12 hours ago, ual763 said:

we lose some, we gain some, the RNAV

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I never agreed with what happened here. This market was created due to 3rd party, not out of need. Fsx, xplane, p3d would work fine with the data they had. Now comes along pilot2atc, word not allowed it has it's own database,  shoot, this carenado GPS has its own database.  So on..... nothing matches, instead of addons using the existing data which would,  I assume, be the correct way. So update it once to get all these systems and applications talking the same. And let it go, for what this is.. . A simulator to practice skills. No need to update on a monthly basis, or in my case , never, as I don't use addons that require me to dink with all this nonsense, and keep me from flying.

• Like 1

The name of the game is, you change with the time or you get left behind.  I can remember when I was working on my commercial instrument rating going thought VOR and NDB stuff back then, you can have it, I will take a GPS any day over them! :laugh: