Sign in to follow this  
Gonsey

Stay with fsx or move to p3d for multi monitors

I am currently building a home cockpit with 5 monitors running FSX steam edition.

I have replaced our 27inch main monitor with a 34 inch ultrawide that works great and have also removed and put up for sale our vr insight cdu2 that was causing problems due to the amount of screens .

The current spec is as follows

PC i7 7700k 

GTX 1070TI 8GB

GTX 970 4GB

FSX Steam edition

1x Samsung ultrawide 34 inch 1440p display port main monitor on 1070ti 

2 x Acer 19 inch PFD/ND landscape with dual head 2 go on 970 landscape

1x 10 inch Upper EICAS VGA to hdmi converter on 970  portrait

1 19 inch widescreen monitor Lower EiCAS and FMC's vga to display port converter on 970 landscape

PMDG 737 and PMDG 777

I can now run all monitors on each card successfully but occasionally when i change aircraft views fsx freezes and crashes to desktop.

Would it be better and more stable to move to P3D V4.5 for this set up.

Or perhaps wait until MicroSoft Flightsim is released and see what that has to offer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I use P3D with PMDG 737 for my cockpit built and it is stable without any issues. Using a total of 7 monitors. 

www.flightsim4fun.com 

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

I have had no problems with P3D and I have used up to 4 monitors. They may still offer the 1 month $10 option you could try it out for yourself. But lets face it, once you do you wont be going back to FSX.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 1/12/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gonsey said:

I am currently building a home cockpit with 5 monitors running FSX steam edition.

I have replaced our 27inch main monitor with a 34 inch ultrawide that works great and have also removed and put up for sale our vr insight cdu2 that was causing problems due to the amount of screens .

The current spec is as follows

PC i7 7700k 

GTX 1070TI 8GB

GTX 970 4GB

FSX Steam edition

1x Samsung ultrawide 34 inch 1440p display port main monitor on 1070ti 

2 x Acer 19 inch PFD/ND landscape with dual head 2 go on 970 landscape

1x 10 inch Upper EICAS VGA to hdmi converter on 970  portrait

1 19 inch widescreen monitor Lower EiCAS and FMC's vga to display port converter on 970 landscape

PMDG 737 and PMDG 777

I can now run all monitors on each card successfully but occasionally when i change aircraft views fsx freezes and crashes to desktop.

Would it be better and more stable to move to P3D V4.5 for this set up.

Hi. Is not recommended to use a higher graphic card both another lower than it. Because the higher only works like the lower. My english is not so good but I I think you understand me. It is better use two similar cards in crossfire or sli. 

I have 970 gtx 4gb with 3 outputs to 3 monitors 32'', the forth output to matrox 3headgo(3 monitors for ND, PFD,engines) and I have another external output USB graphic card for touch screen 27'' and not problem with all this configuration. 

737 800 pmdg. Fsx.

3 hours ago, sudqui said:

Hi. Is not recommended to use a higher graphic card both another lower than it. Because the higher only works like the lower.

This is demonstrably untrue.

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I Agree there is no way a higher graphics card works like a lower with 2 different cards.

All I need to know is if I move to P3D with my current config can I drive another  monitor for overhead bringing the total to six without crashes and what sort of framerates can I expect, currently getting 27-32 fps with FSX in current config

Picking this up a bit late, but since no response to your last question this may help.    

I switched from FSX to P3D originally because it allowed me to easily save any flight situation, complete with panel states, very easily and reliably. I create and save a series of startup situations at different airports, and when I choose to load any of them, every screen will be exactly as it was when I saved it, with all panels in the correct position. I could never do this reliably with FSX.

Also P3D has something called 'View Groups' which allows proper alignment of 2 or more screens for exterior views. It works quite well.

I initially had 4 screens with 2 video cards as follows (with i7 6700 o/c to 4.6 )   A GTX1070 covered a 1080p tv for main forward view and also a 10 inch 1080p  touchscreen cdu panel. A second card, a GTX 970 covered 2 1280 x 1024 monitors for full size flight instruments. Cockpit is E195 using FeelThere software. I am still using P3D v3.4 to suit that software.

That setup gave smooth performance with reasonable graphics. Most sliders at about two thirds. This is closer to fully right in FSX.  FPS 25 plus, but it's not as important as smooth performance.

I then added a fifth 1080p monitor for a left side outside view. This would have affected performance, so I upgraded to a 1080ti main card, which now covers both outside views, and the GTX 1070 runs the other 3 screens for instruments and cdu.  Performance is similar to the previous arrangement. I like to fly with realistic UK weather using Active Sky, and always with add on airports, so this puts a strain on any graphics card.  I would be hesitant to add any more screens to my setup.

Hope this is useful.

John B