Sign in to follow this  
Fearless

Replacement FMC

Is it possible that Carenado could replace the FMC in the ATR 42-500 with the one that is used in the Carenado ATR 72-500?

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

Whilst most people swap their FMCs to Flight1 or Reality GTNs, a few use the ageing yet incredible ISG Simvionics navdata ready gauges. 

The are replacement gauges that, with knowledge, can be added to most aircraft as 2D windows or occasionally in the VC.

I use the ISG Universal FMC as a 2D pop up, along with EFIS & MCU, to steer my Carenado aircraft. When you hit LNAV on the ISG MCU with HDG mode set on the AP, your aircraft will track routes properly. 

ISG also provide various displays such as PFDs & NDs which can be substituted for the original gauges. 

On some aircraft, ISG routes will appear on the ND, if not you’d need to use the displays. 

if you are skilled and proficient at panel editing, and you need to be, you can make a pretty decent avionics fit that improves those fitted by Carenado (because TBH those are truly awful).

So, it’s not a perfect solution but a compromise, though it is IMO closer in terms of substituting gauges that are like for like.

I try not swapping displays because then I would lose functionality like WXR and other EFIS commands, but the trouble is that routes aren’t always drawn on the NDs.

To me, whilst GTNs are totally amazing, they seem not to fit or belong in some of the aircraft types, if you know what I mean.

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

I have the latest set of ISG Simvionics installed, and I can confirm they work flawlessly in all aircraft, and as described by the dveloper. Importantly, these gauges are navdata ready.

With respect to Carenado aircraft, with one or two caveats depending on model, they are a perfect retrofit.

For some aircraft such as the Citation S550, they work seamlessly, as they even populate the default Carenado FMCs and Navigation Displays with route data fed from FPs input into the ISG gauges.

For other types, because Carenado saw fit to create a number of iterations of their inadequate UFMC, then whilst the ISG gauges still work and direct the aircraft via heading hold, they sadly cannot populate the UFMC or display a route in the ND.

The developer, Ernie Alston (of QW), may work on them to correct this, but he cannot be expected to amend his gauges to fit each and every Carenado or third party aircraft model., especially since he provides navigation displays, EFIS panels, etc, as part of the package.

Whilst many of you may prefer to see GTN style nav devices fitted into the VC of aircraft, whilst I don't find their functionality disagreeable (not at all!), I find that for my tastes, GTNs are very modern devices and a step too far from reality. ISG gauges such as the ISG GNS fit better in Carenado aircraft.

OK, they are 2D, but when used in conjunction with free panel pop-ups such as SimControl (by Yannis), they are just as accessible, and readily useable,because after all, most of us pop-up FMCs into their respective windows, so what is the difference?

In aircarft suich as the Milviz 737 or Virtualcol where VC space has been allocated to gauge placement, then thesse can be fitted into the VC.

You need to have some knowledge about panel editing, but lots of help is available, and you can even download several completed panel retrofits for a huge variety of 3rd party add-on aircraft.

I am holding out for Ernie Alston to do some of his magic with these gauges such that they can work with most or all Carenado aircraft because the defaulkt FMC and nav equipoment is so dire that the market is desperate for ISG gauges to fully model these machine.

However, I wouldn't wish to replace my screens or NDs because I don't like the idea of losing Carenado EFIS panel functionality or weather / terrain radar  as fitted in the Carenado ATR series.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btkrsbl9r71tron/ISG and ATR.PNG?dl=0

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

2 hours ago, Fabs said:

I have the latest set of ISG Simvionics installed, and I can confirm they work flawlessly in all aircraft, and as described by the dveloper. Importantly, these gauges are navdata ready.

With respect to Carenado aircraft, with one or two caveats depending on model, they are a perfect retrofit.

For some aircraft such as the Citation S550, they work seamlessly, as they even populate the default Carenado FMCs and Navigation Displays with route data fed from FPs input into the ISG gauges.

For other types, because Carenado saw fit to create a number of iterations of their inadequate UFMC, then whilst the ISG gauges still work and direct the aircraft via heading hold, they sadly cannot populate the UFMC or display a route in the ND.

The developer, Ernie Alston (of QW), may work on them to correct this, but he cannot be expected to amend his gauges to fit each and every Carenado or third party aircraft model., especially since he provides navigation displays, EFIS panels, etc, as part of the package.

Whilst many of you may prefer to see GTN style nav devices fitted into the VC of aircraft, whilst I don't find their functionality disagreeable (not at all!), I find that for my tastes, GTNs are very modern devices and a step too far from reality. ISG gauges such as the ISG GNS fit better in Carenado aircraft.

OK, they are 2D, but when used in conjunction with free panel pop-ups such as SimControl (by Yannis), they are just as accessible, and readily useable,because after all, most of us pop-up FMCs into their respective windows, so what is the difference?

In aircarft suich as the Milviz 737 or Virtualcol where VC space has been allocated to gauge placement, then thesse can be fitted into the VC.

You need to have some knowledge about panel editing, but lots of help is available, and you can even download several completed panel retrofits for a huge variety of 3rd party add-on aircraft.

I am holding out for Ernie Alston to do some of his magic with these gauges such that they can work with most or all Carenado aircraft because the defaulkt FMC and nav equipoment is so dire that the market is desperate for ISG gauges to fully model these machine.

However, I wouldn't wish to replace my screens or NDs because I don't like the idea of losing Carenado EFIS panel functionality or weather / terrain radar  as fitted in the Carenado ATR series.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btkrsbl9r71tron/ISG and ATR.PNG?dl=0

+1

JanekBin did a great job with the Citation S550 using ISG gauges...

Carenado have made alternative MODEL files for some of their jets now to enable users to install the GTN750... 

can we persuade them to adjust things also that we can easily integrate the ISG Gauges (FMC) into the VC and have the flightplan show on the displays etc... 

Edited by aerostar

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

14 hours ago, aerostar said:

+1

JanekBin did a great job with the Citation S550 using ISG gauges...

Carenado have made alternative MODEL files for some of their jets now to enable users to install the GTN750... 

can we persuade them to adjust things also that we can easily integrate the ISG Gauges (FMC) into the VC and have the flightplan show on the displays etc... 

That’s a great proposal, but sadly in my experience, Carenado are not the best listeners. 

interestingky, they have no incoming products listed for any platform. 

Has the well finally run dry?....

Mr Fabio Lagattolla