Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

How bad is VR for you - long term affects of using VR

13 hours ago, Avidean said:

It's disgraceful that the Word not allowed filter did'nt sensor that word!😒

If you ask me it is disgraceful that such a filter even exists. We are all adults here. Our brains don't explode when we read swear words. 😉

Just now, Farlis said:

Long term use of what?  Of the whosywhammie? 😉

With using VR!  Probably should have included that in the response!  Didn't realize it could be read a couple of different ways! :blush:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Just now, charliearon said:

With using VR!  Probably should have included that in the response!  Didn't realize it could be read a couple of different ways! :blush:

Oh I got that. I was just pulling your leg, because the way you said that just invited that question. 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Avidean said:

I would have though yours had already fallen off by now🤨

My what?

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I can't get past the short term vomiting to reach long term usage ... which is odd, I can race cars real world, I can fly real world, but put a VR headset on and I'm on cleanup duty within a few minutes ... but I do keep trying ... and failing ... guess I'll just have to wait for the holodeck.

Cheers, Rob.

I had motion sickness too in the beginning, but it gradually disappeared, at least with flying civilian aricraft in p3D. Now, Dirt Rally is a different matter. 🙂

On 1/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

I can't get past the short term vomiting to reach long term usage ... which is odd, I can race cars real world, I can fly real world, but put a VR headset on and I'm on cleanup duty within a few minutes ... but I do keep trying ... and failing ... guess I'll just have to wait for the holodeck.

Cheers, Rob.

I had motion sickness too in the beginning, but it gradually disappeared, at least with flying civilian aricraft in p3D. Now, Dirt Rally is a different matter. 🙂

I have read that dramamine and other anti-nausea remedies can work effectively against VR sickness......

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I had a theory that in VR your eyes would get lazy because the focal length never changes for objects near or far away. At least on flat panel you can look away from the monitor to exercise your eyes but in VR you can't. I spend probably 3-4 hours a day in VR so I went into my favorite non-flight simulation software - first person tennis to test a theory.

I put the racket right up to my face then looked all the way to the far end of the court. My eye muscles still had to work not to create a double vision when I look at the racket really close.

Weirdly, I then clicked on the Oculus home button where I can put the virtual hand controller right up to my eyes. But then I didn't need to work to keep it from going double, only in first person tennis.

So I guess I'm confused. I think VR might be the same problem as it is for astronauts in weightlessness, because they can't escape zero gravity their muscles atrophy - but I'm really not sure.

8 hours ago, glider1 said:

I had a theory that in VR your eyes would get lazy because the focal length never changes for objects near or far away. At least on flat panel you can look away from the monitor to exercise your eyes but in VR you can't. I spend probably 3-4 hours a day in VR so I went into my favorite non-flight simulation software - first person tennis to test a theory.

I put the racket right up to my face then looked all the way to the far end of the court. My eye muscles still had to work not to create a double vision when I look at the racket really close.

Weirdly, I then clicked on the Oculus home button where I can put the virtual hand controller right up to my eyes. But then I didn't need to work to keep it from going double, only in first person tennis.

So I guess I'm confused. I think VR might be the same problem as it is for astronauts in weightlessness, because they can't escape zero gravity their muscles atrophy - but I'm really not sure.

Intersting...

+1 for First Person Tennis. It's great. There's a new update live now on the beta server which includes air resistance in the physics model. Haven't tested it yet, but it promises to bring additional realism to the play, at least in simulation mode.

Moisturizer on your face after every VR session cures the problem of having a permanent impression of your headset lined into the skin around your eyes. I woke up a while back one morning shocked that after 10 hours of sleep I still had the headset line around my eyes from the previous night.

5 hours ago, glider1 said:

Moisturizer on your face after every VR session cures the problem of having a permanent impression of your headset lined into the skin around your eyes. I woke up a while back one morning shocked that after 10 hours of sleep I still had the headset line around my eyes from the previous night.

Yikes! I think a doctor would say you need to drink more fluids. You shouldn't have that sort of impression after 10 hours.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5