Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

My decision on this topic was made a while ago: I have not bought an add-on in a few years now. The rationale is that I was tired of spending money on beautiful add-ons (or new hardware fort that matter) for a flight sim engine that felt frozen in time, just so that I would get even more frustrated by the stutters and poor performance.

So yeah, MSFS has rekindled my interest for flightsimming, to put it mildly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

The last time we had that discussion it was not really conducted in a civilized way...

Working out quite civil as of now. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Why are people deciding when they will jump onto Microsoft Flight Simulator or for how much longer they will keep using other simulators before they try it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

its going to be several years before there are plugins for msfs2020 even to fsx standards.

I definitely don't understand the thought process behind waiting, how are they even remotely connected? Are you putting the money in a piggy bank because you expect the new msfs to be mega expensive or something?

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

its going to be several years before there are plugins for msfs2020 even to fsx standards.

Why are you so sure about that? There are several third-party developers testing the Tech Alpha 1 right now, along with the SDK which will have an official release in March. It seems likely that we will have a wide range of add-ons to select from on release day.

Why not wait until release day, evaluate the simulator, and then decide whether it suits you at that moment or not?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ive donated enough for  FSX and FS9   addons i think i blew maybe 500 $   anyway the scenery is starting to look like an old shoe , therefore im waiting FS2020  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XMAN said:

...I think i blew maybe 500 $...

On FSX AND FS9? Gosh! :rolleyes: You got away cheap. :ohmy:

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Just now, ChaoticBeauty said:

Why are you so sure about that? There are several third-party developers testing the Tech Alpha 1 right now, along with the SDK which will have an official release in March. It seems likely that we will have a wide range of add-ons to select from on release day.

Why not wait until release day, evaluate the simulator, and then decide whether it suits you at that moment or not?

Because building a quality plugin takes years not months.

Devs working on it now are porting existing content not developing new content, so its not like their msfs2020 versions are going to magically become better than they are now.

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Because building a quality plugin takes years not months.

Devs working on it now are porting existing content not developing new content, so its not like their msfs2020 versions are going to magically become better than they are now.

You talked about "FSX standards", so if they manage to port it over without issues then it wouldn't be worse.

Still, we don't know how easy or difficult it is to develop or port add-ons or plug-ins with the new SDK, so there's no point being certain that there won't be quality content for several years. So is rejecting the new simulator or the older ones already, or setting a timeline for specific simulator usage. With the Xbox Game Pass it will be very easy to create essentially a trial period, and then we can decide whether the simulator is in a good state or not, whether it has a good amount and quality of add-ons and plug-ins, and whether it actually needs them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greggy_D said:

I could not give two hoots about MSFS.  I'm plenty happy and occupied with P3D and will continue to purchase content for it.

Same here.

1 minute ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

so if they manage to port it over without issues then it wouldn't be worse.

but that's just it, the ported versions will be the same as now just with new issues that take years to resolve.

AutoATC Developer

I've stopped buying anything for the sims I own since the MFS announcement.  To be honest I'm done spending money on P3D and FSX now.  I've enjoyed them both but I've also been ready for the next generation of flight sims for many years now, and although I love P3Dv4 it is not what I've been yearning for.

MFS appears to be that generational leap I've been desiring.  Thus, if it turns out as good as it seems to be, I will be spending my money on MFS from now on.  Period.

And if MFS turns out to be trash then I'll just go back to flying and spending money on P3D, and I've lost nothing at all.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

but that's just it, the ported versions will be the same as now just with new issues that take years to resolve.

I did say "without issues" though. And you are still certain that they will have issues, and that it will take years for them to be resolved.

Personally I'll just wait and see.

1 minute ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I did say "without issues" though. And you are still certain that they will have issues, and that it will take years for them to be resolved.

Personally I'll just wait and see.

Because msfs2020 is new software, new software always takes years to resolve its issues. Especially flight sim stuff, where everything is required to behave perfectly all the way through a 10 hour flight.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

It's more of an add on effect than a simulator effect at this point, and probably will be in the future too. For instance, and this is just how I roll, I waited a year almost to purchase some items for my other sim's during the holiday sales. I knew that MSFS would be coming out sometime this year, assuming it stays on schedule, but I wanted these aircraft add on's for my current sim, because I figured I would enjoy them NOW! And I did and still do enjoy them. Meaning you do what makes you happy and enjoy the hobby! Also, if you want to fly a particular aircraft or own a scenery package, or other add on, that makes you happy and enjoy your current sim, and your alright with spending the money, go for it! If you don't want to spend a dime ever, or until MSFS comes out, go for it. Do what makes you happy. No one cares if you never buy MSFS, or do buy MSFS, or own every sim on the market or have spent thousands of dollars on hardware or add on's. If that is what makes you happy, it's your money, your life, your home, your computer, enjoy 🙂

I also think I understand most post like this? People are excited, bored, angry, and eventually just want the sim to be in their hands ( or not if you hate the idea ). I mean we are running out of stuff to talk about basically! Everyone enjoy whatever sim(s) you choose, and Don't Worry Be Happy. Hey that could be a song 🙂

• Like 6

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ