Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

I keep on buying addons for X-Plane until not only MSFS is released, but also at least one study-level addon of the aircraft categories I use the most:

• Turboprop airliner
  • Vintage prop plane, e.g. DHC-2, DC-3
  • Vintage jet airliner, e.g. MD-80, B727

I don't care if it's 2020 or 2025 until those are all available but I won't just use MSFS because of great visuals, when all I can fly is GA or a glass cockpit airliner.

• Upvote 1

Should you stop buying etc. What a strange way to formulate things. Anyway, It is high time that Asobo releases new tidbits, if you catch my drift.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

I stopped flying P3D shortly after MSFS was announced.  Part of it was because the graphics looked so dated by comparison, and part because I just got tired of flying.  

A2A released the P3Dv4 version of the Piper Cub January 3 and I bought it as soon as I noticed, a day later.  Already got over 50 hours in it.

If something special comes along, and it's something I want, maybe something I have wanted for a long time, I'll buy it.  In this case, I bought the Cub even though I wasn't currently flying.  Well, I'm flying again, thanks to A2A.

Hook

We share many of the same sentiments Hook! 

I've been drooling over the Cub as well (had it in FSX and loved it!), but like you I got tired of flying, Since I'm a low and slow flyer I got tired of the repeating landclass, roads over houses, missing autogen and the predictable blending patterns after a while. Even the ORBX regions doesn't look much like the real thing when you know how the real thing looks in real life - especially Norway was a huge disappointment. And for now, the TrueEarth stuff doesn't cover the places I want to fly, so it's not an option. 

But let me be clear about one thing. Even though I won't add more addons to P3D I will probably continue to use it for years to come. Even though low and slow adventures exploring Earth's geography in FS20 is something I'm looking forward to, I'm assuming there will be some time before it has the life of P3D with my custom AI aircraft and ship traffic, ATC and my favorite A2A and RealAir aircraft, not to mention a detailed custom scenery of my home airport with realistic military AI traffic.

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Everyone should do as they please. I don't need anyone to tell me what I should or shouldn't do (at least not when it comes to flightsimming).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I will happily purchase new addons for P3D until I have proof that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MFS) will include all of the features that I need. At the moment, I am not convinced that the vast majority of airports will be detailed enough, or that important features like ATC and realistic AI planes will be available on release day. Those photogrammetric cities look amazing, but.....how much of the planet will look like that?

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

After 2 years break a month ago i have bought P3D4.5 with bunch of addons :-)

I had a plan to wait until P3D5, but life is too short ...

• Like 2

Artur 

I have uninstalled P3D weeks ago. Uninstalled forever. Seeing FS2020 and continuing flying in P3D or XP is pretty masochistic

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lukas Dalton

I stopped purchasing add-ons months ago, nor do I intend spending anything this year.   Only waiting for FS2020 now, spending on anything else is just wasting money. IMO.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

I have stopped buying sceneries for XP11/P3D. As for aircraft, recently I have purchased the NGXu, A321X and the A330-300, considering I am sure most of those will have an upgrade path to MSFS.

As for XP11, I am still aiming to get the Rotate MD11 and perhaps the new bizjet from Aerobask, whenever those are released.

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I recently built a new computer with enough SSD space to download all of Orbx TrueEarth and some other orthos for XPlane. Wow, it’s like an early preview of MS! I can’t stop flying now and, honestly, don’t care if MS comes out this year or not. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It has no effect, why would I stop buying things I enjoy using?  I honestly can't understand why this question would be posed at all?  I buy whatever I like for whatever platform I like and it's really none of anyone else's business (the should).

With that said, I think you need to dial back the brightness levels, especially white levels in your video ... aren't you glad you have the choice?

Cheers, Rob.

Uhm.. probably because most people DON’T have unlimited budgets, specially the 99% of us who don’t get freebies, and may prefer to wait and buy addons for the new sim when released as an option..?

Really happy for you that you have the possibility of “buying whatever you like whenever you like”. Sadly that’s not the case for the vast majority. 

• Like 8

And a region is not the same as the whole world, and don't compare p3d or xplane, and or different sources of mesh, or 15 year old technology lol

• Like 1

comparaison again ?

I thought the point was to keep supporting Addon developers over the next year. or not.

Not to compare again simulator with plenty addons VS flight simulator 2020.

if I remember what the moderators say, they didn't intend on this forum to open endless debates on which is the best simulator. Knowing that there are dedicated spaces on avsim for each of them.

Everyone's visual requirements are different, VFR may not be everyone's core business, and some have serious investments in other platforms, so they will make a choice based on these factors.

Edited by azulkb

OK guys, this is not an MSFS vs P3D vs XPlane thread. 

The question posed by the OP was whether or not you should continue acquiring addons for XP/P3D from now until SimZilla releases, not whether one will be better than the other.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

32 minutes ago, w6kd said:

OK guys, this is not an MSFS vs P3D vs XPlane thread. 

The question posed by the OP was whether or not you should continue acquiring addons for XP/P3D from now until SimZilla releases, not whether one will be better than the other.

How can one decide on the first question without speculating about the second? That would make the OP's question totally odd.

Eventually to me this whole thread is redundant. This already has been discussed to death in several threads here and in the P3D forum.  Everything about it has already been said. It's just stirring the pot once more. 

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 3