Sign in to follow this  
CptVince

Should You Stop Buying P3D/X-Plane Addons? The MFS Effect

My most recent investments have all taken place in DCS, IL2 and War Thunder, but with the announcement of Vulkan in XP11.50 I am back to XP11 and waiting to see how it'll perform in my rig.

I'm still planning on the PSX FMC NG upgrade - soon to be released - and Navigraph to use with XP11 and PSX.

I might also consider the Toliss A321 which has recently been announced, because I really find the Toliss A319 simply the best, overall, Airbus simulation for XP11.

So,the hype around MFS is not stopping me from buying, with parsimony as usual....

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

15 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Toliss A319??  Interesting, will have to check that out as I thought Flight Factor A320 I have was defacto top dog for A3's?

Cheers, Rob.

Just as the FSLabs and the Majestic Q-400 for FSX / P3D feel... too "plastic" and lack the feel of trully moving along lik native sim aircraft due to using an exterrnal FDM, I believe.

Never really liked either, and the same applied to the FF A320, which is totally blind, for instance, to most weather effects ( well, for the good and for the bad because some really need fine tuning in XP... ).

But when the aircraft ( FF A320 ) instruments tell you to use rudder into the failled engine Hmmm... and after ages is still awaiting a fix, and other quirks, even if not ( yet ) so "complete" in  terms of systems simulation I do prefer the Toliss.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 1/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, Greggy_D said:

I could not give two hoots about MSFS.  I'm plenty happy and occupied with P3D and will continue to purchase content for it.

I'm plenty happy & occupied with FSX and I will continue to [much more selectively though] purchase content for it. However, I do give "two hoots" about MSFS, and I look forward to enjoying it also. Fortunately, I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I have plenty of music in my database, yet I continue to look forward to enjoying an artist's new release along with those that I already have. It is not a "one-or-the-other" thing. To me, and I suspect to many others also, it is a "one-and-another" thing.

• Like 2

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

1 hour ago, RustyFlyer said:

I'm plenty happy & occupied with FSX and I will continue to [much more selectively though] purchase content for it. However, I do give "two hoots" about MSFS, and I look forward to enjoying it also. Fortunately, I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I have plenty of music in my database, yet I continue to look forward to enjoying an artist's new release along with those that I already have. It is not a "one-or-the-other" thing. To me, and I suspect to many others also, it is a "one-and-another" thing.

You'll bring balance to the force

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

You'll bring balance to the force

The weak minded fools. Their using an ancient Jedi Mind trick on them. 🙂

• Like 1

I keep buying things like planes that I am interested in. But I ease off on larger / fundamental investments like weather addons.

• Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Should you? That depends on how much you want to enjoy flying in the here and now. For me personally, I was about to give X-Plane a shot in June and then the E3 reveal happened and I lost taste for everything else. I even uninstalled FSX later on because i just lost the taste for it. I installed it again when when the telemetry beta was released. Spending more money on FSX just doesn't make sense at this point. I've seen a glimpse of the future and I'm waiting on that.

• Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I’m not spending a nickel on anything flight sim related until the new MSFS is out.

For me, it would simply be money wasted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tweekz said:

I keep buying things like planes that I am interested in. But I ease off on larger / fundamental investments like weather addons.

I agree although I am also still purchasing scenery addons. I had been considering new/different weather options prior to the initital MSFS announcement, however, for me, with the advent of a new iteration of MSFS, and with my enjoyable array of scenery & plane addons, I am no longer considering such purchases for FSX, my present flight sim. I am being much more selective though with regard to content & price of any new addon that consider for FSX ;).

• Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

39 minutes ago, irrics said:

I’m not spending a nickel on anything flight sim related until the new MSFS is out.

For me, it would simply be money wasted.

My last purchase was the Kodiak Quest for X-Plane. I really enjoy it and who knows if a similar plane will be available on MSFS2020 for the next year or so. So it's a purchase that is worth it.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Its going to be a pretty big no for me.

Based on what we've seen and the insider builds this sim is lightyears ahead of other sims that we have today, from pretty much any perspective I can think of sound, aircraft, graphical fidelity and the world itself.

Buying extra add-ons right now would be pretty much a waste of money. Especially now that the SDK has been announced and I believe people would already be working with it.

I didnt keep buying parts for my Subaru when the Tesla was about to arrive, why should I do the opposite here?

• Like 1

If I wasn't going to do any flying in P3Dv4 I obviously wouldn't be looking at buying any new add-ons.  But I'm currently flying an average of 6 hours per day.  

We won't be doing any flying in MSFS for at least 6 months.  Anything I buy now I'll still get 6 months of use out of.  I suspect a lot of people buying a lot of add-ons never get 6 months of actual use out of them.  I've already got 80 hours on the A2A Cub and I only got it two weeks ago.

I didn't stop flying P3D because real life looked better.  I'm not going to stop flying P3D because videos of a new sim in development look better.  While I enjoy watching videos of real world flying, and the videos from MSFS, I get a lot more enjoyment out of flying in the sim than I do watching the videos.  Your mileage may vary.

As long as I'm flying, I'll be buying new aircraft occasionally.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

As long as I'm flying, I'll be buying new aircraft occasionally.

Not me.  I'll be flying all the P3D aircraft I own until MFS comes out, but I won't be spending any more money on sims I know I'll be moving on from very soon.  To me that's just bad investing, I wouldn't put money into a stock I didn't want either.

• Like 1

I bought the A2A Constellation on May 13.  The last time I flew it was July 6, with 200.2 hours logged.  This included two Pacific crossings on different routes.  During that time I did flights in two other aircraft, but it was mostly the Connie.  I'll eventually fly it again, but for now it's parked.

If I can get 2 months use out of any new aircraft then I can buy new ones up to about the first of August without MSFS cutting into my P3D time or new P3D aircraft "going to waste."  If I can get 100 hours on an aircraft I feel like I've gotten my money's worth and I can do that in a month.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;