Sign in to follow this  
strider1

XP12

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

No, they've hinted that the new sim is not using blade-element theory a few times, but it's worth watching their flight dynamics video to see how they're doing it. 

It's all maths to me . BET or whatever calculating a surface etc.. they are doing 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

Although XP ephemeris are not the most accurate, I'm pretty sure that max sun elevation depends on the day of the year, so lower in winter, higher in summer.

You're right, my mistake. I just checked the noon sun angle at the Summer and Winter Solstice at a high latitude where I live (47 deg. N) and it does look pretty accurate with a lower angle in Winter.

I guess I never noticed that before, because we don't really have a reason to change the date in the sim. 😉

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

(Double post)

Edited by Paraffin
Double post

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

7 hours ago, Paraffin said:

You're right, my mistake. I just checked the noon sun angle at the Summer and Winter Solstice at a high latitude where I live (47 deg. N) and it does look pretty accurate with a lower angle in Winter.

I guess I never noticed that before, because we don't really have a reason to change the date in the sim. 😉

I can confirm that. I've recently toyed around with the month to get better lighting on my screenshot of a scenery. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Interview is out. i was really hoping it would be all written down tho. Any brave soul who want to put a transcript of the main points?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

The interview was very good and shows a promising future. In my view xplane need to add some of the improved weather, clouds etc into xplane 11. A lot of people may jump to fs2020 and I cant see them coming back to buy a new version of xplane to see what the LM offering looks like.

I found it pretty troubling the part about how weather engines are the ones going to suffer the most once Vulkan is out. And considering how much use we have of xvision too

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

I found it pretty troubling the part about how weather engines are the ones going to suffer the most once Vulkan is out. And considering how much use we have of xvision too

Where did they say that?

From what I heard, he said as far as the default weather and all the effect "will just work" at before, it will still "look the same", but it "will use less cpu power" which means higher frames rates. Hifi uses default clouds so I don't see it being a problem but more of a benefit if anything.

For reference

At 24:34 he start talking about what it wants to do to weather once Vulkan is out that is related to 3D drawing in Vulkan.

At 27:04 he starts discussing how the present weather will run in Vulkan.

Bob

2 hours ago, sanh said:

In my view xplane need to add some of the improved weather, clouds etc into xplane 11

sanh

All of that is coming, he just can't can do it on an instant while they were moving X plane to an new api. They had to first get it to work before he can see how he can use it.

"we already have things coded for the next major version of Xplane" hmmmm

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

7 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

sanh

All of that is coming, he just can't can do it on an instant while they were moving X plane to an new api. They had to first get it to work before he can see how he can use it.

Yes I know and agree with you totally. My point was more on which version the clouds/weather goes into. If it goes into xplane 12 I am not sure I would come back (if I switch to fs2020) and pay 50 bucks to see the LM offering of what I have got with fs2020.

If it was added to xplane 11 (or at least some of it) I would be more inclined to check it out since I have that already.

If fs2020 is all it appears to be it will be my no.1 sim and I will need to shell out on add on planes going forward that will cost. Then xplane 12 comes out with better clouds and weather. Shell out 50 bucks to see what that's like or put it to fs2020 addons? I think it will go on the addons 

Edited by sanh

8 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

Where did they say that?

From what I heard, he said as far as the default weather and all the effect "will just work" at before, it will still "look the same", but it "will use less cpu power" which means higher frames rates. Hifi uses default clouds so I don't see it being a problem but more of a benefit if anything.

For reference

At 24:34 he start talking about what it wants to do to weather once Vulkan is out that is related to 3D drawing in Vulkan.

At 27:04 he starts discussing how the present weather will run in Vulkan.

Bob

I am talking about third parties, not what they currently offer or what they might at some point maybe if they feel like it offer 😛

Specifically xEnviro, since everything else is just a "more of the same" billboard technology, including REX (which is running out of places to develop their addons in since clearly noise generated clouds are the future and both xEnviro and the new MSFS are in it already, and Ben also talks about them)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sanh said:

If it was added to xplane 11 (or at least some of it) I would be more inclined to check it out since I have that already.

Put yourself in Laminar´s shoes.

What makes more sense - pouring effort and brandnew features into a version that many have already paid for - and then loose many users to MSFS when it comes out

or

pile as many new and shiny features into XP12 and hope to tap users´curiosity to ALSO get XP12 when it comes out?

Laminar couldn´t care less if you are "inclined to check it out" if it was added to XP11. For them it matters (at least on the business side) if people are willing to pay money for it.

I think that Laminar is incredibly generous in the way of free updates through a version run. Microsoft (legacy) never even came remotely close to adding and fixing content on a regular basis - you basically had to live with the version until the next one came out. Laminar is upgrading their product more or less continuously - and every few years proclaim a new version that one has to buy...

I think its greedy to ask for more stuff to be added to XP11 so you can save the money for XP12 and spend it on MSFS and it´s add-ons.

Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Janov said:

Put yourself in Laminar´s shoes.

What makes more sense - pouring effort and brandnew features into a version that many have already paid for - and then loose many users to MSFS when it comes out

or

pile as many new and shiny features into XP12 and hope to tap users´curiosity to ALSO get XP12 when it comes out?

Go and have a look at the new discovery series video released yesterday (audio) on YouTube for fs2020. The gulf is so vast from xplane 11 that a lot of xplane users who switch to fs2020 will never look back. Their memory of xplane will be of a vastly inferior product.  I am amazed you think when xplane 12 comes out they all will be opening their pockets again out of curiosity. Most simmers dont have unlimited funds.

Laminar couldn´t care less if you are "inclined to check it out" if it was added to XP11. For them it matters (at least on the business side) if people are willing to pay money for it.

Disagree. If xplane 11 was more comparable then people are more inclined  to keep it since they already have it (and fs2020) and upgrade to xplane 12 when it comes out since they are more likely to still be using xplane 11. I am a big xplane fan and it's my only  sim right now but when fs2020 comes out it's a straight uninstall so I can free the space for fs2020 scenery downloads. I think you are making a big assumption that people who move to fs2020 and start spending money on addons will then want to shell out for a second new sim and then addons for that. 

I think that Laminar is incredibly generous in the way of free updates through a version run. Microsoft (legacy) never even came remotely close to adding and fixing content on a regular basis - you basically had to live with the version until the next one came out. Laminar is upgrading their product more or less continuously

I agree

- and every few years proclaim a new version that one has to buy...

I think its greedy to ask for more stuff to be added to XP11 so you can save the money for XP12 and spend it on MSFS and it´s add-ons.

Jan

Greedy? Lol. I just think people's last vision of xplane will be those static billboard clouds and stale ground textures. No matter what xplane does in version 12 a lot of people who move to fs2020 will not look back. Why pay out for a second sim that was so far behind and trying to catch up? Pay 50 bucks and then more for addons for xplane 12 or just put it into more addons for fs2020? I think I know what the answer will be.

My view is xplane should try to retain as much of their audience as they can right now and that's in xplane 11. This is just my view and I respect your differing view.

Edited by sanh
  • Like 3

You make some good and valid points, sanh. I agree that X-Plane will loose a lot of customers - but I think they will retain those customers that saw something in X-Plane when FSX or P3D were still the "prettiest" simulators out there.

I know that 59$ is a lot of money for a lot of folks - but its actually not much more than a Sunday afternoon at the movies with the family with some popcorn and sodas for everyone. So I do believe that a lot of people will get XP12 out of curiosity or for a different take on the hobby - even if they are happy with MSFS. It was just like that for the last years, P3D, FSX and all.

I know a lot of people think that MSFS will be the last and ultimate answer to all our simulation wet dreams, but I think that after the initial excitement wears off people will find out that it isn´t perfect. And just maybe XP12 will do something here and there a little better than MSFS - as hard as that may be to believe after seeing all those nice previews 😉.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1