Sign in to follow this  
strider1

XP12

13 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

I am talking about third parties, not what they currently offer or what they might at some point maybe if they feel like it offer 😛

Specifically xEnviro, since everything else is just a "more of the same" billboard technology, including REX (which is running out of places to develop their addons in since clearly noise generated clouds are the future and both xEnviro and the new MSFS are in it already, and Ben also talks about them)

I am a big fan of xEnviro. They have always have been a trailblazer when it comes to implementing advance feature in to the X-plane environment. 
But the trouble you may be referring IMOP maybe of xEnviro own making.

Its what happens when you try to implement feature ahead of the graphic engine, you’re going to need to run it for its best performance. The reason is obvious and confirm based on the interview that LR were not finish with the 3D draw calls in Vulkan in order to submit a proper SDK that will not fail for 3P in the future while they are making changes.
 xEnviro implement accumulating snow, volumetric clouds and season with multilevel winds beyond x-plane, most of all the things we wanted but is release in the present environment we are in. They had to struggle with performance issue from users with high settings or 4K monitors at which may not get resolve now that are we so close to Vulkan being rolled out. Which is also why LR wouldn't deal with weather and season and other performance impacting function until the api was finish.  

So, I think the performance issue will be resolve for xEnviro  in the new api. Once that happens, the performance issue will be more satisfactory and probably do a lot more than what it is doing now.

So that will be something to look forward to. 

Edited by BobFS88

8 hours ago, Janov said:

I think that Laminar is incredibly generous in the way of free updates through a version run.

Indeed, and the best example of that was the upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit sim in the middle of the v10 version. That caused some headaches for payware aircraft developers who had to honor a commitment for support during the version run, but it was a freebie gift to the users. 

51 minutes ago, Janov said:

I know a lot of people think that MSFS will be the last and ultimate answer to all our simulation wet dreams, but I think that after the initial excitement wears off people will find out that it isn´t perfect. And just maybe XP12 will do something here and there a little better than MSFS - as hard as that may be to believe after seeing all those nice previews 😉.

A whole heap of assumptions are being made about how superior MSFS will be, based only on what the outside world looks like.

Which is damned impressive. But a good flight sim needs more than that. There is still little to no information (in public anyway) about how the flight modeling compares to XP, how the engine modeling compares with piston engines, turboprops and jets, or even many aspects of the weather system. No way to tell if it can accurately model helicopter dynamics, because apparently that's not a priority for first release. Even aside from that, it's going to take a while to build out a respectable fleet of aircraft to fly. 

I'm not minimizing the areas where the MSFS is shaping up to be very impressive, but I'm not writing XP off either.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

So, I think the performance issue will be resolve for xEnviro  in the new api. Once that happens, the performance issue will be more satisfactory and probably do a lot more than what it is doing

It's a little late for all those who spent 70 USD on xEnviro when it was first released with its elaborate timeline of since unfulfilled promises. In my opinion, it was a waste of money with the devloper promosing the impossible. And believe me, I was one of the patient ones out there. I have no respect fot developers like that to be honest. I once had time and patience for such things but there have been too many half finished add-ons in recent years, and too many excuses for my liking. 

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sanh said:

Go and have a look at the new discovery series video released yesterday (audio) on YouTube for fs2020. The gulf is so vast from xplane 11 that a lot of xplane users who switch to fs2020 will never look back. Their memory of xplane will be of a vastly inferior product.  I am amazed you think when xplane 12 comes out they all will be opening their pockets again out of curiosity. Most simmers dont have unlimited funds.

Lots of hype, some of it well deserved and some of it not.

And your conjecture is based on MSFS cherry picked photos, videos, etc... Like Ive said in other posts, there pros and cons with both simulators.

Xplane is still installed in my hard drive. I even bought a few add-ons recently.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

35 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

It's a little late for all those who spent 70 USD on xEnviro when it was first released with its elaborate timeline of since unfulfilled promises. In my opinion, it was a waste of money with the developer promising the impossible. And believe me, I was one of the patient ones out there. I have no respect fot developers like that to be honest. I once had time and patience for such things but there have been too many half finished add-ons in recent years, and too many excuses for my liking. 

I understand how you them.

However I am not going to give up on them so fast since we are so close and I understand the circumstance surround this weather engine. I too have been there from the beginning and I like the feature that they brought to xplane. I just think they should have waited until the new api was out and run those feature against it and then show it off. It may have been a nice selling point or keep some peoples interest. However when I suggest that in the community, some where against that idea of them waiting and would rather have those feature now although they have make some adjustments in their settings.

I am just hopefully that it will work out.

4 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

So, I think the performance issue will be resolve for xEnviro  in the new api. Once that happens, the performance issue will be more satisfactory and probably do a lot more than what it is doing now.

My understanding is xEnviro is not compatible with Vulcan.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

48 minutes ago, strider1 said:

My understanding is xEnviro is not compatible with Vulcan.

All the weather engines that do 3d drawing will have issue, once vulcan is released the next thing is to fix that problem. Since xplane clouds are not they will work its in the podcast

• Like 1

I honestly cant see the big deal really.. Ben stated that with FSX there was some to and frooing over new things, than p3d look at them went to 64 bit, now updated textures, it wil be the same when ms comes out.

Wont be removing xplane anytime soon.

I've been using SkyMaxx Pro for years now and, although it's hard to find, they seem to have been working on the Vulkan transition for some time now, with the author (SkyDog, I believe) posting several days ago that he had just submitted version 4.9 to Cameron.  I am hoping for this and since it is in the 4 series, they usually allow for a free upgrade.

John Wingold