Sign in to follow this  
ivy09

FMC Arrival setting before departure

Hi there fellow virtual pilots. I just got a question about setting an FMC.

A tutorial I watched basically told me to go to DEP/ARR and choose the arrival runway/STAR and Transition point, before taking off.

I've done that, and I didn't have a hitch with my flight.

But then someone just told me that I should not do so until I get instructions by an air traffic controller. However the tutorial I saw was made by a real life 737 pilot and I was wondering which side of the story is the truth.

Here is the tutorial I watched.

So is this a correct procedure? I mean, you can always change your arrival setting anytime you want right?

Edited by ivy09

Generally, put into the FMC flight plan what you filed (generally it includes an arrival) and once you receive “cleared to (blah) via (blah) then as filed” covers your question - your departure clearance covers the arrival.  If something changes enroute you just update the computer as you indicate. 

For example; routine route filing for KBOS to KMCO:

SSOXS5 SSOXS BUZRD SEY HTO J174 ORF J121 CHS IGARY Q85 LPERD OMN CWRLD4

Clearance delivery at BOS would clear you to Orlando via the SSOXS5 departure, then as filed. So CWRLD4 with OMN transition goes into the box.

if you only filed to OMN without the arrival, leave it blank because you were not cleared for an arrival so it would route OMN direct. ATC may assign you an arrival (or change it) at any time.

Of course you include the expected STAR, transition and runway when programming the FMC. Otherwise the TOD, total distance, fuel calculation etc. would be off.

Even if you get the runway in use upon arrival from ATC, it can still be changed at a later stage.  Reprogramming is possible at any time. 

Edited by FDEdev

3 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Otherwise the TOD, total distance, fuel calculation etc. would be off.

Spot-on.

Rick Almeida