Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Clarification about signature

Hi Jim

I see that you warned me because my signature had a link to my little YT channel. You also deleted the link in my signature.

I am sorry if I contravened your rules but I was  in good faith as your rules say :

"Do not advertise! Signatures that in the judgement of AVSIM Staff violate this requirement will be removed. Members may have up to five links to their personal website or blog or to other member’s personal website or blog containing, for instance, personal Flight Simulator images and videos. Links to any commercial website or other flight simulator related websites will not be allowed.  " (bold and italics by me)

Would you mind to clarify what is allowed and how ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, domkle said:

Would you mind to clarify what is allowed and how ?

There use to be a rule that allowed links to your personal YouTube site but the link had to be a dead link.  I cannot find it.  I have revoked the warning.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have revoked the warning.

Good to hear, Jim, as I've  just followed to the letter the rules in More>Rules & Policies>Signature Rules. As most of us, my YT channel is not profit (7 videos and 11 subscribers in 3 years 😉 !). It is for fun and share. The clicks dont bring me and won't bring me any money. 

So what do I do from here ? Not a big deal but it may help anybody who wants to add a link to his or her signature. As there is an unwritten rule  which prohibits live links in the 5 URL allowed, only  dead links are permitted, like for me that would be "https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYYUYtBzDubu2SncH0oy_Q" , am I right ? A little awkward if you ask me but rules are rules. 

Is this last rule also apply to the About Me of the Profile Fields in the Profile  ? 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Some of the rules are not clear and subject to interpretation and that is not what we want for our Moderators or the AVSIM Members. They were written by Tom and have not changed as we are trying to protect his legacy as much as possible.  We require embedded videos just so someone will not link to a YouTube Subscription site.  We want the videos displayed here in our Video Forum. I see no problems with "dead" links to any YouTube subscription website.  We allow links to All anyone needs to do when they see a dead link is to highlight it and open it in a new tab.  Rules (signature,  screenshot, AVSIM Terms of Service, and copyrights) apply to anything on the AVSIM website, including your profile.  The Board of Director's and CEO may make changes to the rules sometime in the future.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

We want the videos displayed here in our Video Forum. I see no problems with "dead" links to any YouTube subscription website.  

Fair enough and  I did post my videos on the video forum but a post there is a blip on the radar screen which quickly disappears. Not entirely satisfying for the posting member. What about your Gallery, if I am not mistaken it is on a read-only mode nowadays ?

Dominique

The Gallery has not been reactivated as all entries must be set up by an Admin.  I remember Tom would not allow even me to post directly into the Gallery until he set up a title for my Gallery.  Then he personally approved images posted.  We have the AVSIM Screenshot Forum which can be used to post images related to flight simulation.  I doubt the Gallery will ever be reactivated because of the Screenshot and the Video Forums.  Wasn't the Gallery feature developed for individual/personal websites to show off their personal images?

Maybe the AVSIM Video Forum should be removed?  With today's technology, you can now go to Bing/Google search and search for 4K flight simulation videos, 747 videos, 737 videos, etc.

Submit News to AVSIM