Sign in to follow this  
pred02

Issues with black ground textures

Do use REX Environment Force? Seems the way REX EF changes shaders makes it imperative to run each and every time you run P3D or you get the fire blackened ground. I used to think it's a bug, but now feel that's the way EF is designed run, changing shaders on the fly.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

@Twenty6 You are absolutely correct. I did install REX Environment Force but then de-installed it as it was interfering with PMDG.  And if I recall correctly, this is when I started to get the blank ground textures.  Is there a fix for this?

how  does  rex e  interfere   with pmdg?  

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It would make sense to delete the P3D shaders at 

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

Delete the whole shaders folder.

39 minutes ago, Reader said:

It would make sense to delete the P3D shaders at 

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

Delete the whole shaders folder.

If I remember correctly that doesn't work. You'll need to get back the original shaders located in <P3D root>\ShadersHLSL folder. REX, PTA and TomatoShade all backup the shaders before changing them or you can reinstall the Client portion of P3D to get back the originals.

First thing I do with a new version of P3D is copy the ShadersHLSL folder and paste it back as ShadersHLSL.XXXX  - where XXXX is the version number.

-J

If someone has been messing with the ShadersHLSL folder, then they have been in the wrong place altogether.

That is not where the shaders are and it should be left well alone.

Rex Environment Force does not, as far as I can tell, change those files at all, but it does change the shaders in the aforementioned shaders folder and typically, if a user has used Rex Environment Force but forgets to start it before P3D v4, the textures in the game will be predominantly black and white.

Rex Environment Force itself deletes the shaders folder each time it is started.

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

If someone has been messing with the ShadersHLSL folder, then they have been in the wrong place altogether.

That is exactly where REX EF, PTA, TS and other "shader" programs make their changes. Then when P3D runs it looks at the instructions in the files of the ShadersHLSL folder to compile shaders to render everything you see onscreen. Which is why you need to delete the %local%\Prepar3d v4\Shaders folder each and every time you let the "shader" program make changes.

REX EF, while getting the same result as PTA and TS, handles the process differently (on the fly) and leaves the instruction files in ShadersHLSL folder broken when you shut down P3D and REX. So next time if you run P3D without REX EF you get the OP's burnt ground look and other word not allowed.

-J

You should exit EF after you exit P3D otherwise it stays active in the hidden folders bottom right even after shitting down your PC, when restart it will be active and when you start P3D it will run, but after you exit P3D if you exit EF it will reload the default shaders but not before.

I have EF and EVNSHADE and use PMDG and don't have the problem this is a new one to me not reported on PMDG forums.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

48 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

REX EF, while getting the same result as PTA and TS, handles the process differently (on the fly) and leaves the instruction files in ShadersHLSL folder broken when you shut down P3D and REX. So next time if you run P3D without REX EF you get the OP's burnt ground look and other word not allowed.

I presume that you have inside knowledge of the way that Rex Environment Force works, perhaps because you are a Rex developer or beta tester, however I hate to disagree with you but if that was the case, deleting the shaders would have no effect and P3D would remain broken because the same broken shaders would be written back. Deleting the shaders in my experience restores P3D  to fully working order. I have no experience of or interest in any other software that amends shaders, as indeed the OP of this topic seems not to.

Without a doubt, deleting the shaders can do no damage and may well be the fix that the OP is looking for. I wonder why you seem to be cautioning against it. Also, the entire debate is pointless until the OP returns and states that  the shaders have been deleted and that this has worked or not worked.

Edited by Reader

When installing the Client only deleting the shaders and the config file is the way I do it P3D will then install the default shaders only and new config file.

Raymond Fry.

11 minutes ago, Reader said:

deleting the shaders would have no effect and P3D would remain broken because the same broken shaders would be written back. Deleting the shaders in my experience restores P3D  to fully working order. I have no experience of or interest in any other software that amends shaders, as indeed the OP of this topic seems not to.

Exactly, which is why the Op and myself get the burnt ground look. Deleting the shaders in %Local%\Preoar3d v4 folder will not solve anything if you recompile the exact same instruction file in <P3D root>\ShadersHLSL.

22 minutes ago, rjfry said:

You should exit EF after you exit P3D otherwise it stays active in the hidden folders bottom right even after shitting down your PC, when restart it will be active and when you start P3D it will run, but after you exit P3D if you exit EF it will reload the default shaders but not before.

I did not know that. I use SimStarter to start and stop programs (Active Sky, TrackIR and REX EF), maybe REX isn't getting shutdown properly. Thanks for that info.

I'm not an employee of REX and don't think I ever beta tested any of their programs.

-J

It looks like you have the same problem as the OP, you could therefore delete the shaders and test my theory. Please make sure that Rex Environment Force is not running and that it does not run while you conduct this test. I have been using this method to allow me to run P3D without Rex Environment Force since Rex Environment Force was released and it has yet to fail me.

As an aside, I use batch files to both launch P3D v4 and close it down. They have the advantage of starting Rex Environment Force first, Active Sky second and finally P3D v4.

I also use a batch file to ensure that they are all closed down, P3D v4 first, Rex Environment Force second and finally Active Sky.

Edited by Reader

As for the deleting shaders check out the Tips and Tricks for P3D below this forum, Poppet has some good tips on upgrading P3D.

Raymond Fry.

i erased the files in the Shaders folder and confirm the problem has gone away. Thank you