Sign in to follow this  
Aljay1

FSX CFG Files

Have I lost these important filesI . It looks like I have made a hash of installing FSX and an attempt to install addon scenery.

I am getting two scenery.cfg file errors. "SCENERY.CFG File error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area 101" and the same for Area 107  I click to continue.

I can't see these areas listed. I search C:/Games/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX.

If I am not beyond help can someone point me in the direction please. I have been away from simming for some years, which is probably obvious.

Have you tried verifying the integrity of your game files? Your post implies you obtained FSX via steam:

Go to your steam library.

Right click on FSX.

Select Properties

Click on the local files tab.

Select verify integrity of game files.

It may help although the process may reset some settings - not too big a deal if it makes the sim work again.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Try this: in Windows, check the option to show hidden files or folders.  Go to C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX-SE/.  Find the scenery.cfg file.  You can either edit it with a text editor to delete the areas FSX tells you it can't find, or you can remove the file and the next time you restart FSX:SE it will create a new file based on what you already have in your scenery library.

Validating files in Steam only works for files in the FSX:SE folder in Steam.  It doesn't help for missing or corrupt files in other directories, like the AppData folder.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Hello,

the scenery.cfg file at C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX-SE 

is not used, if you think that you have a problem with the scenery.cfg file, you will find the

active one at C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX(-SE)\scenery.cfg 

I located the scenery AREA101 and AREA107 and deleted them using Wordpad but I guess I should have used Notepad.?

As 'AREA' is now shown in FSX settings, Scenery Library, I am not sure if I have achieved anything other than stopping the messages, that I have a

problem in Scenery Areas 101 and 107. I understood that if I deleted these files FSX will rebuild them? Should I not see them listed back in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg. It appears I have lost more knowledge of FSX than I thought I had. LOL.

If you return to Notepad and see what those two areas were, you could then open the scenery library in the game and delete them.

If you find that your scenery.cfg file is now corrupt, you will find a "spare" in both the original appdata location given or indeed inside the FSX root folder.

Thanks Reader.  Aljay1, you can go to the in-sim Scenery Library and exit it, and the sim will re-write the correct scenery.cfg.  The sim always checks for that file and if it isn't there it will create a new one.  If it has been modified it won't delete the invalid entries, hence the error message warning you that it couldn't find the correct sceneries.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

BF Bullpup,

evidently your copy of FSX is unique, as it uses a scenery.cfg file that everyone else's copy does not and apparently corrects errors for you too. 

Edited by Reader

Aljay1.

The scenery.cfg file is what FSX reads from to access the scenery. It contains a list of locations used to tell FSX where to find the scenery but if the location stored in the library does not match the exact path to that scenery, if will indeed produce an error message such as "SCENERY.CFG File error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area 101".

In other words, FSX is being told to look for Area 101 but when it does, there are no files there. There are two ways to correct this but both need you to identify what scenery is at Area 101. You must use an editor such as Notepad to identify it, because the in-game scenery library does not tell you which Area is which.

Here is a typical entry from the default scenery.cfg file:

[Area.101]
Title=Australia
Local=Scenery\AUST
Layer=101
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

It can be seen that it is in this case Australia. This is ONLY an example and should not be taken to show that your area 101 is also necessarily Australia.

Once you have identified it, you should return to the in game scenery library and delete that area, or edit that area, so that it path points to where the files are, rather than where they are not. Both courses of action will resolve the error message. If you delete the area, then you must use the in-game scenery library to add it back with the correct path before you can see the scenery. If you correctly edit the path, you will have removed the error message and you will also see the scenery.

Thanks Reader, and others for your patient help. Unfortunately I am going to reinstall to fix the problem.

21 hours ago, Reader said:

BF Bullpup,

evidently your copy of FSX is unique, as it uses a scenery.cfg file that everyone else's copy does not and apparently corrects errors for you too. 

Sorry, I meant the one in ProgramData.  I didn't read your posts thoroughly.  I apologize.  Next time please feel free to point that out rather than resort to sarcasm.

It seems to be a feature of these forums that any advice given is immediately jumped on by someone who is determined to contradict it, even before the person asking for the advice has tried it. I was just trying to avoid even more confusion for the topic author. After a little over 15 years, it can sometimes become a little wearisome.

In any event, it seems that our efforts were in vain.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

I recommend using the Scenery Config Editor - https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/ - to fix issues like this.  Under the actions menu, it has the ability to reorder Area/Layers.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, Reader said:

seems to be a feature of these forums that any advice given is immediately jumped on by someone who is determined to contradict it

Your efforts to assist others is always appreciated by me and many others whether right or wrong or contradicted by others.  I have seen a lot of what you state in the CTD Forums too and it is sometimes frustrating.  When I am contradicted, I know I have provided the OP with my best solution so just leave the thread.  The key is the fact you are trying to help others with your knowledge and expertise and that is a lot of what the AVSIM Forums are all about.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10