Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Adding the Reality XP GTN 750

10 hours ago, Ralvarez232 said:

Hi Bert. Should we still use your latest mods with v1.2 or should we expect new updated ones 😉?

Roberto

Should be just fine with V1.2.  :happy:

Bert

Hello everyone

I'm a bit lost here, using the GTN 750 for the very first time. 

My question is simple though: can you use the GTN for vertical guidance with the autopilot?

For example I fly waypoint to waypoint with an ILS final approach. 

It seems I can't activate approach mode on the A/P if I don't select NAV on the MCD.  The ILS approach is correctly entered in the GTN though.  

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks 

46 minutes ago, gpxe said:

Hello everyone

I'm a bit lost here, using the GTN 750 for the very first time. 

My question is simple though: can you use the GTN for vertical guidance with the autopilot?

For example I fly waypoint to waypoint with an ILS final approach. 

It seems I can't activate approach mode on the A/P if I don't select NAV on the MCD.  The ILS approach is correctly entered in the GTN though.  

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks 

You can, but ILS and RNAV LPV approaches have different procedures..

ILS is flown in VLOC mode, LPV is flown in GPS mode..

In both, you use NAV mode to navigate to the final heading.. APR mode thereafter.

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

You can, but ILS and RNAV LPV approaches have different procedures..

ILS is flown in VLOC mode, LPV is flown in GPS mode..

In both, you use NAV mode to navigate to the final heading.. APR mode thereafter.

Thanks Bert. 

Let's consider ILS approach first. 

I'm flying at 4000, approaching LIPZ. 

MCD is on FMS. LNAV and ALT mode show on screen. 

GTN is controlling lateral navigation. AP is on. 109.95 is selected NAV1 on the GTN. CDI is set to GPS. ILS04z is the selected procedure in the flight plan. 

I cross LAREN. The plane should start final descent soon after, but indeed it never goes down. Always stays at 4000 feet. 

What should I do? Change mode on MCD (for NAV)? Select APR mode on the autopilot? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, gpxe said:

Thanks Bert. 

Let's consider ILS approach first. 

I'm flying at 4000, approaching LIPZ. 

MCD is on FMS. LNAV and ALT mode show on screen. 

GTN is controlling lateral navigation. AP is on. 109.95 is selected NAV1 on the GTN. CDI is set to GPS. ILS04z is the selected procedure in the flight plan. 

I cross LAREN. The plane should start final descent soon after, but indeed it never goes down. Always stays at 4000 feet. 

What should I do? Change mode on MCD (for NAV)? Select APR mode on the autopilot? 

Thanks 

Set the heading bug to the runway heading in preparation. Once NAV mode has vectored you to the final runway heading,  switch the autopilot to HDG mode, switch the GTN to VLOC mode and the PFD to VOR1 mode. Check that the glideslope indicators are visible. Then switch the autopilot to APR mode.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

For an RNAV LPV approach, things are simpler..

Set the heading bug to the runway heading in preparation. Once NAV mode has vectored you to the final runway heading,  check that the glideslope indicators are visible. Then switch the autopilot to APR mode.

Bert

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Set the heading bug to the runway heading in preparation. Once NAV mode has vectored you to the final runway heading,  switch the autopilot to HDG mode, switch the GTN to VLOC mode and the PFD to VOR1 mode. Check that the glideslope indicators are visible. Then switch the autopilot to APR mode.

Bert

I was doing somehow as suggested. But if I set the PFD to VOR1 and the AP to APR mode, then, to my best understanding, the source is not the GTN anymore, butt the VOR/LOC ? Am I right ? Then we are bac to my initial question : is the GTN able to drive vertical guidance ?

Thanks

5 hours ago, gpxe said:

Bert

I was doing somehow as suggested. But if I set the PFD to VOR1 and the AP to APR mode, then, to my best understanding, the source is not the GTN anymore, butt the VOR/LOC ? Am I right ? Then we are bac to my initial question : is the GTN able to drive vertical guidance ?

Thanks

The answer is still yes..

Read both posts above, ILS and RNAV LPV.. for the more complete answer!

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

The answer is still yes..

Read both posts above, ILS and RNAV LPV.. for the more complete answer!

Thanks Bert for your continuous support.

I think the misunderstanding comes from how the GTN communicates with the other instruments in the plane.

When the PFD is in FMS mode (clicked on FMS on the DCP, pink needle on display on the lower part of the PFD) :

- GTN in GPS mode :
    - needle on the PFD is pink
    - A/P NAV mode is LNAV

- A/P APR mode is available (why ???) but A/P has a particular mode (no lateral mode (blank, not even ROLL), ALT vertical mode)

- GTN in VLOC mode :
    -
needle on the PFD is pink but does NOT turn when you change course
    - A/P NAV mode is LNAV (but A/P real behaviour depends on what you ave on the frequency - VOR or LOC - it turns to catch ILS lateral beam for LOC or turns in round at very steep bank angle for VOR)
    - A/P APR mode is NOT available

When the PFD is in NAV mode (clicked on NAV on the DCP, green needle on display on the lower part of the PFD) :

- GTN in GPS mode :
    - needle on the PFD is greenand points to and unindentified direction
    - A/P NAV mode is VOR1 but plane is turning errand

- GTN in VLOC mode :
    -
needle on the PFD is green and it does turn when you change course
    - A/P NAV mode is VOR1
    - A/P APR mode is available

When you change the GTN CDI mode, it does NOT change the PFD mode. You have to change it manually by chosing NAV or FMS on the DCP. Additionally, to have A/P APR mode working properly, you need to change PFD mode to NAV.

So, for me, the way it works is :

PFD FMS = GTN GPS
PFD NAV = GTN VOR1 or Universal FMS VOR2

Do you know of any way to make sure that the GTN and the PFD are always "aligned", ie set as per the above ?

Thanks

I just have not delved into it that deeply.. but yes, that is possible.

Do you have my panel mods installed?

Edit: New version available where the GTN will follow the NAV/FMS selector buttons.

If you operate the GTN CDI button, you can have them set "out of synch", but if you bring the GTN back in synch, it will stay in synch.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Bert

What are your mods for this craft ? Is that just the ini file of the opening post ?

New version ? Do you mean 1.2 ?

I have moded DC_panel.xml so that the PFD and GTN are in sync (GPS with FMS, VLOC with NAV). I can pass it on to you if you want to test.

BTW, I would be very interested in having your mod for the Fokker 50 😉 THe way it is set up by defaukl is peculiar (FMS is desactivated).

Thanks

Edited by gpxe

Just tried and with teh DC_panel.xml  mod, I have a smooth transition between GPS flighplan and ILS approach. Nothing to touch. It even engages APR mode.

Did you manage the same on your side ?

Sent you a PM.

I rarely fly ILS approaches, since there are RNAV approaches for most airports these days..

Bert

I'm struggling with getting the GTN to control the aircraft as well.  I'm doing it in FSX and I have the Flight1 GTN750.  I'm not familiar with the RXPGTN750.

My config files are:[GTN750.1]
Airplane=6

It posted before I was finished.  What I wrote was all that was in the F1GTN file.  The RXP config has a bit of what yours did.  I'm trying to get the Flight1 GTN to operate the plane.  Any thoughts on how I can do that?

Bill Cox