Sign in to follow this  
cepact

worried about ram requirements

14 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I think you’ll probably be correct. Although not always the case, optimisation often means that a game will run better on lower spec systems rather than making a significant difference on high-end machines.

This is true, and it mostly applies to CPU overhead and RAM usage. With GPU usage, most of the optimisation comes from cutting down on visuals that aren't too necessary in the full scene and replacing effects with more efficient implementations, as well as driver work from the GPU vendor. For the RTX 2080 Ti to run the simulator at 4K60, it would need a 50% boost from optimisation, which I can't see happening. Maybe when the simulator is ported to run on DirectX 12, and with a good VRS implementation (which does come with a visual degradation, albeit a very minor one).

10 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The RTX 2080 Ti could run the simulator in 4K at 30-40 FPS, so unless further optimisation brings some huge GPU performance gains (such a benefit is unlikely), you'll need a tier above for 60 FPS.

I am pretty sure I read about 60fps in 4k, where did you get the info?

Also at the preview event or at Xo19, nobody reported a 30fps gameplay, and it was in 4k...

16 minutes ago, Noooch said:

I am pretty sure I read about 60fps in 4k, where did you get the info?

Also at the preview event or at Xo19, nobody reported a 30fps gameplay, and it was in 4k...

I've seen this mentioned at least once in a written article and once in a video about the Global Preview event, can't remember which though (and there are too many to try and find those again). Apparently the simulator was getting far less than 60 FPS, and the RTX 2080 Ti cards used in those computers were being stressed and generating lots of heat. I don't know about the X019 event though.

Personally I want fluent framerates mostly, without the stutters that plagued FSX. It was mostly this what ultimately destroyed my joy in flightsimming. In those days I spent more time tweaking and tinkering than actual flying.

• Upvote 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

17 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Personally I want fluent framerates mostly, without the stutters that plagued FSX. It was mostly this what ultimately destroyed my joy in flightsimming. In those days I spent more time tweaking and tinkering than actual flying.

Should be much less of an issue considering that Microsoft Flight Simulator appears to be mostly GPU-limited. Stutters will be caused when you are CPU-limited, in any game.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Should be much less of an issue considering that Microsoft Flight Simulator appears to be mostly GPU-limited. Stutters will be caused when you are CPU-limited, in any game.

Not true, stutters can happen whenenver there's a bottleneck, be it on your hardware or even on your OS. You can have stutters, for example, if your GPU Vram is overloaded.

But I think they will do their best to make it as polished as possible. People just have to set the sim according to their systems. You can't expect to run it maxed out in an old and weak system.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Not true, stutters can happen whenenver there's a bottleneck, be it on your hardware or even on your OS. You can have stutters, for example, if your GPU Vram is overloaded.

Not saying that stutters only happen when you are CPU-limited, but personally I'm not getting the same effect when GPU- or VRAM-limited. Being out of VRAM will tank the framerate of course, which could be perceived as stutters especially if it's uneven and doesn't match a monitor's refresh rate evenly. On the other hand, being CPU-limited will inherently cause stutters in any 3D application. ESP-based simulators tend to have the main thread fully maxed out which will definitely add to this.

In my experience storage causes the worst stutters, and it can vary wildly from game to game, but this is rarely a problem with modern hardware.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, Superdelphinus said:

I’ll eat my computer if this ends up needing 32gb ram as a minimum. 

That's RAM- not HAM  😂

• Like 1

For anyone with  1080 or higher GPU, I believe the CPU and memory access speed will still be the key FPS bottleneck.

As soon as they fully implement AI and ATC, that will be the time to determine true performance as that is all CPU based. 

Also, I wouldn't put too much hope into optimization unless they are sloppy programmers from the outset and need to have their code cleaned up (which is highly unlikely)

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

10 hours ago, smoothchat said:

Also, I wouldn't put too much hope into optimization unless they are sloppy programmers from the outset and need to have their code cleaned up (which is highly unlikely)

The sim is in alpha state. The only thing which is unlikely is that it will not be further optimized, imho.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

If this is real, we have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Its really quite simple. The viewing distance looks to be much greater in this sim, so is going to use up more ram and vram, but the variable will be settings once again.  Crank it up for the highest visuals, and its going to want to eat ram for breakfast.   If you dont have enough, then you have to back off the visual settings or upgrade.  I will consider 32gb ram seeing that I also run the browser with a bunch of tabs open checking in on FR24, WX, vatsim TFC, and other stuff, so turning up visuals, will probably get me close to the limits where it will be a detriment.   There is no doubt further optimization will come, but still, we are talking about a huge world ahead, sides and behind. not some 200x200km 3d shooter world. 

• Like 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

3 hours ago, Krakin said:

If this is real, we have nothing to worry about.

If it's real and verified post it. But since it isn't, this is likely a clickbait title and a fake video too and shoudn't be posted here.
Besides the fact that it's a clear violation of the NDA so the guy who did it is risking legal consequences.

Now i understand how my dad keeps sharing all kind of fake news on whatsapp..

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."