Sign in to follow this  
CaptMatto

Interested in your thoughts for this build

Hi All
I'd  be really interested in your thoughts for this build? I am building it specifically for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. I've not built myslef a PC since the 90's so I rekon things have moved on quite a bit.

I'm in a lucky(ish) position where I've completed some extra work so have a few £££'s to put into it.

I have about £3k to spend - I'd be really interested in peoples thoughts with reference whether I have chosen the right mix of products and that I am not introducing any massive bottlenecks.

I need to get a couple of monitors, do people think 2 or 3 is the best mix for simming? Any thoughts as to which panels to get?

Thanks in advance!

Happy flights!

Matt

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

That should make for a nice rig - only one thing to possibly change: Up the wattage to 800 or 850.  It won't add that many Pounds...

• Upvote 1

Increase the Seagate drive from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm unless the drive will be used for storage only.  Agree the wattage should be increased.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Agree with increasing the power supply wattage to minimum 750W, and if you must have a hard disk drive then get one which spins at 7200rpm as Jim said.  I would stick with SSDs.

To save some money you can cut your total RAM to 32GB unless you're doing heavy duty video/photo editing.  You can also use a cpu air cooler instead of liquid cooler unless you plan on overclocking to over 5GHz.  Lastly, there are plenty of quality motherboards with similar specs that cost half what yours does.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Beyond all that... I would go with the 9900K, but also give AMD a look see. They have really upped their game and beyond the increases cores is the serious upgrade in processor cache!  I know a few people who are now running AMD after being long time Intel guys (like me), and they swear by the latest AMD processors now.

More than that, the latest PCIe standard has been approved and we'll start seeing it in upcoming hardware.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What everyone says is good advice.  I would add, if you're going to include a mechanical hard drive in there, get at least 3 TB and use it for storage.  In my case I have a 3TB external hard drive that I usually only hook up when I make a backup.

I really need to study up on NZXT motherboards.  I know next-to-nothing about them and have never built with one.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Wow!  Thanks for all the awesome feedback everyone!

I'll start ammending the build list and looking round for respective parts.

Happy flying!

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

If that setup pulls more than 275W from the wall I'd be shocked. No need to waste money on PSU capacity that will not be used - spend it on something that will.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Luke, the RTX 2080 Ti can pull 275 watts by itself.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

On 1/16/2020 at 8:45 AM, MattBarraud said:

Hi All
I'd  be really interested in your thoughts for this build? I am building it specifically for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. I've not built myslef a PC since the 90's so I rekon things have moved on quite a bit.

I'm in a lucky(ish) position where I've completed some extra work so have a few £££'s to put into it.

I have about £3k to spend - I'd be really interested in peoples thoughts with reference whether I have chosen the right mix of products and that I am not introducing any massive bottlenecks.

I need to get a couple of monitors, do people think 2 or 3 is the best mix for simming? Any thoughts as to which panels to get?

Thanks in advance!

Happy flights!

Matt

650 Watts is  adequate these days, wouldnt want to go any lower though.  Modern gold or better PSU's have an efficiency curve that renders them still very efficient at higher loads. However..., the difference between 650 watt and 750 watt in terms of price is minimal, so by all means nip the wattage up to 750 watts if you fancy, to be on the safe side. 750 would be my choice.

I'd also recommend EVGA PSU's. Very reliable and with a fantastic warranty. 

You could also save money by opting for a semi modular PSU. The cables that are hard wired are the ones we all need anyway. Unless you are replacing them with custom cables of course. 

Edited by martin-w

On 1/19/2020 at 2:32 PM, Harold_Finch said:

Luke, the RTX 2080 Ti can pull 275 watts by itself.

250 watts I believe, total power draw. 

Coolermasters PSU calculator suggests 648 watts for that config. 

Edited by martin-w

Matt, depending on how time-invariant you are... I'd wait for the new RTX 3080 TI release later this year. It may offer a better price/performance ratio. Also, keep in mind that overclocking the processor will draw more power. I'd go with the 750+ Watt if what Martin has is right about the current estimated power pull of 648 Watts. Gives you more wiggle room for extra fans or hard disks in the future too...

19 hours ago, alexmartinez09 said:

Matt, depending on how time-invariant you are... I'd wait for the new RTX 3080 TI release later this year. It may offer a better price/performance ratio. Also, keep in mind that overclocking the processor will draw more power. I'd go with the 750+ Watt if what Martin has is right about the current estimated power pull of 648 Watts. Gives you more wiggle room for extra fans or hard disks in the future too...

Not particularly time pressured. This PC is really for the newest iteration of Flight Simulator so the longer I wait the better indication i'll have for the required spec. 🙂 I also need to look at what monitor set-up to get.

Based on the feedback (thank you all for the help!) these are the parts I'm looking at...

• CPUIntel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor £313.00
  • CPU CoolerCorsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Coole r£145.97
  • MotherboardNZXT N7-Z39XT-W1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £239.99
  • MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £141.18
  • MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £141.18
  • StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £35.58
  • StorageIntel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £99.98
  • Video CardEVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card £1093.99
  • CaseNZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case £139.99
  • Power SupplyCorsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply £91.49
  • MonitorDell S2715H 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor £158.97
  • MonitorDell S2715H 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor £158.97

Total:£2760.29

2x16GB Duel channel memory X 2 be aware that filling all dim slots can reduce overclock headroom on the CPU, I would stick with 32GB 2x16GB.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 hours ago, rjfry said:

2x16GB Duel channel memory X 2 be aware that filling all dim slots can reduce overclock headroom on the CPU, I would stick with 32GB 2x16GB.

Absoltuely.  Use all the lanes possible!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.