Sign in to follow this  
chevelle505

Falcon Update?

Just got an email about v1.9, apparently it has been updated..but when I followed the directions for going to the product page and downloaded the .doc for updates, theres nothing listed. Just wondering if anyone knows whats new in the update?

1 hour ago, chevelle505 said:

Just got an email about v1.9, apparently it has been updated..but when I followed the directions for going to the product page and downloaded the .doc for updates, theres nothing listed. Just wondering if anyone knows whats new in the update?

Here's some info from the FSW Facebook page.

New Features:

1. Now you have the ability to save/load the flight with all systems off with chocks, engine covers and windshield cover on.

2. Engines will run/stop when you reload the aircraft based on the state it was in.

3. Sound for the speed brake lever was added.

4. Dynamic landing and taxi lights added to the P3D V4 model.

5. No more additional payload manager setup required. Just install and ready to fly.

Bugs & updates:

1. Temperature control knobs have better mouse control.

2. Altimeter drums updated for when values change.

3. Panel popup vertical speed wheel has new texture to see wheel better.

4. A " HRZN  STY PWR" label/text typo on the overhead panel was fixed.

In addition, the APmodes file was updated a bit to better work with the various GTN750 GPS units, and some small changes were made to the Falcon50 manual.

Al

chevelle,

I found it confusing also. It appears one must download the updated full installer, which if you bought directly from the FSW store, will be in your account. Open the order reference for your Falcon 50 order, then under "products"

click on "Flysimware's Falcon 50 (x1)" to download the installer.

Of course since it's a full installer I assume one must uninstall before installing the new version. I don't know why it seems to be such a secret that developers have to keep regarding whether uninstall is required, or whether over-install will work. Seems anytime ANY developer offers an update, one must spend hours searching for a proper install procedure!!!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

2 hours ago, somiller said:

I don't know why it seems to be such a secret that developers have to keep regarding whether uninstall is required, or whether over-install will work.

I think the issue is that whether or not you can successfully install over an existing install can depend on one's particular system setup. What works on one system may not work on another.  So removing the old install is usually the safest way to go. Why spend hours searching on whether or not you have to uninstall or can get by installing over the previous version when it only takes a minute to go into the control panel and do the uninstall?

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

Al,

If an uninstall isn't necessary I usually try an in-place update so I don't have to reconfigure aftermarket gauges etc.

What would be an example of system setup that would preclude installing over an existing install?

I think the real point I'm trying to make is that providing NO install guidance is not a very good practice - if uninstall\install is recommended, why not prominently announce that uninstall\install is recommended?

This question inevitably accompanies the release of virtually every update from every vendor, unless a procedure is clearly stated.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

What would be an example of system setup that would preclude installing over an existing install?

Don't really know the specifics of an actual case. But suppose, for example, someone has a 3rd party add-on involved that, it turns out, must be installed after the basic a/c is installed. Or there are multiple disk drives involved with the sim on one drive and the a/c on another which might present a problem, or...... There is just no way a developer can anticipate every possible configuration. I have certainly come across examples on the different forums where someone had problems installing over an existing install for who knows why.

With FSW, I seem to recall times when uninstalling first was recommended, and other times when installing over the top was said to be OK. Perhaps some installers will automatically uninstall a detected previous version as part of the new install process.

Usually during an install, old files will be successfully over-written when there is a new file with exactly the same name. But if the new version no longer contains a file of the same name as a file in the old version, that old file will remain after the install, which could lead to a problem. 

I guess you can try installing over the old install,  and then only if necessary go back and do a fresh install. One danger with this approach is if something gets significantly corrupted it may be difficult to successfully completely uninstall the now corrupted old version.  I always worry about what happens in the Registry.

I do understand your point of why not clearly state whether or not an uninstall is or is not required. I just don't think a developer can unequivocally state installing over the old install will always work. I guess they could say that installing over the old install works most of the time, but I'm not sure how useful that is. So it seems to me the safest statement would be to say uninstall the old version first. However, I'm not a developer.  😉

Al

Edited by ark

I forgot to update the new installation Instructions file included in the zip file you download. Because we use a new online system we needed to update this file anyways. Here is what the new file says which will be updated to our store tonight for the next time you download.

FLYSIMWARE Installation Instructions:

A file called "Flysimware Get Started" is created on your desktop after installation. Optional information for the aircraft is included. 

Visit the start menu / all programs / Flysimware "name of product" to find our management tool, instructions and other info!

MIGRATION TOOLS DO NOT WORK AND WILL CAUSE AN ERROR!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Uninstall the previous version first to remove your installation log and to prevent windows from not overwriting files. Remember to save any customized texture/files so you can reuse them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Copy your registration code into your clipboard before you run the main install program.
This will auto fill your registration code in the input boxes automatically.
Now type any name into the name box and click next.

1) Run the installation file. This installer will auto find your game no matter where it's located including other drives. If your missing registry info and it does not find the sims location. Select the tab to the right of the directory window and a search directory will open. Select the sims main folder for the install directory.

2) Open your aircraft list in sim and look for Flysimware as the manufacture to load the aircraft in free flight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PRODUCT REGISTRATION CODE! THIS CODE MAY GET BANNED IF THE SYSTEM DETECTS TOO MANY COMPUTERS! ONLY 1 COMPUTER IS ALLOWED PER LICENSE!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by ark

Al,

Thanks for the explanation. I went ahead an uninstalled before installing the update and all is well - with the exception that I can't get the Falcon with RXP GTN 750 to successfully fly an ILS glideslope.

I'll start a new thread for that one.

Thanks to Flysimware for continuing to improve the Falcon 50. It's a great addon, and it just keeps getting better!

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Al,

Thanks for the explanation. I went ahead an uninstalled before installing the update and all is well - with the exception that I can't get the Falcon with RXP GTN 750 to successfully fly an ILS glideslope.

I'll start a new thread for that one.

Thanks to Flysimware for continuing to improve the Falcon 50. It's a great addon, and it just keeps getting better!

Kind Regards,

The RXP has a new option to set that says Enable GPS to HSI. This was new so we had no idea it showed up. So for the new update this option will be locked on. So for now just turn that option on and your all set.

I bought my version from PCAVIATOR. They still show version 1.8C...

Is there a way to download and install from the Flysimware website?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

7 hours ago, Flysimware said:

The RXP has a new option to set that says Enable GPS to HSI. This was new so we had no idea it showed up. So for the new update this option will be locked on. So for now just turn that option on and your all set.

Interesting..."LinkHsi = false" was set in the .ini for GTN_2, but was not present for GTN_1 so I copied and pasted into GTN_1 and changed to true - now it flies GS perfectly.

I assume "LinkHsi = true" is what you were referring to with "Enable GPS to HSI"?

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Interesting..."LinkHsi = false" was set in the .ini for GTN_2, but was not present for GTN_1 so I copied and pasted into GTN_1 and changed to true - now it flies GS perfectly.

I assume "LinkHsi = true" is what you were referring to with "Enable GPS to HSI"?

Kind Regards,

Yes, the LinkHSI=true in the GTN ini file is represented on the GTN750 2D popup settings panel as Connect GPS to HSI.

I suspect you did have LinkHsi = false in your GTN1 ini file but it was hidden since it was locked. When you look at the GTN ini file not all settings are typically shown -- some are hidden. If you scroll down all the way on the little 2D GTN popup settings panel, you will find an entry that says: "Optimize settings file .ini(skips default values and comments)".  If you turn this off and click save when you now open the GTN ini file you will find an expanded GTN750 ini file and now even the locked values will be shown. Also note you can remove an item from being locked by editing the locked= line in the ini file.

Al

13 hours ago, somiller said:

Kind Regards,

Yes the GTN 2 was set to false. I am updating that tonight. But the GTN 1 was present and set to true. So if you downloaded our V1.9 then you would find that was true.