Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

MSFS 2020 Addon quality

We all know that in the case of FSX or X-Plane the quality of most addons was stunning, when compared to original aircraft available in the game. However, when I look at the MSFS 2020 aircraft, their interiors, all that sound recording job, I'm beginning to doubt if any major 3rd party addon developer will be able to match that quality set by Asobo. Somehow I don't think that any such developer would have resources and would like to invest money to scan real aircraft for textures and sounds like Asobo does. So in my opinion the siuation may be somewhat reversed - the in-game aircraft will always look, sound and fly better than any Addons thanks to enormous amount of data they collect... And if that is true, do you think Asobo/Microsoft will sell DLC aircraft in the future with the same standards they use now? I think it never happened in the history of any sim?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Maybe true for some of the simple GA aircraft.  But there's no way they can do what PMDG, FSLabs, etc. do in the systems department.

I take that back... they could it, but it's highly unlikely they ever would.

Edited by byork
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

So in my opinion the siuation may be somewhat reversed - the in-game aircraft will always look, sound and fly better than any Addons thanks to enormous amount of data they collect...

I highly doubt it.

Considering the amount of work it takes, to produce an aircraft with the quality and depth as PMDG and FSLabs creates, i doubt that Microsoft/Asobo, will find it feasible to do this.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

31 minutes ago, byork said:

Maybe true for some of the simple GA aircraft

I have to disagree with this. A2A planes are nowhere near other GA planes, far more superior.

Furthermore looking at the A320 cockpit which is briefly showed in some  MSFS videos looks really poor compared to Fslabs or PMDG quality for example.

Edited by Jeeeno

never judge something that is not yet finished.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Deleted said:

never judge something that is not yet finished.

And being marketed with people that know how to sell...

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, Kenjiro75 said:

Somehow I don't think that any such developer would have resources and would like to invest money to scan real aircraft for textures and sounds like Asobo does.

Not so. As Jeeeno hinted at above, devs like A2A have already been doing this for some time.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I guess both Microsoft and Asobo, and others can make superb airplanes.

The questions is do they want to? Do they see a good enough Business Case for it?

It is always a cost/income decision that needs be be taken. Both costs and income can also be other values than pure dollars.

• Like 1

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

If you think you're going to get aircraft that are PMDG\FS LABS or A2A quality as default aircraft in this sim I think you're kidding yourself. For the developers to recover the cost they would have to charge hundreds of dollars for the base sim. They're trying to develop this sim for the mass market so that would go against their main goal. Remember, those of us who use or want study level aircraft are a very small part of the market. Most people who buy this sim will be satisfied to be able to take off and land with not too many bells and whistles.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

NAX669.png

However, it is not excluded that MS wants to get involved in the add-on market in the future. 

The project is expected to run for 10 years, and MS will have to earn money with it in the future. 

So it is very possible that MS or Asobo will also bring out large aircraft with study level in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Don't worry, the basement captains will soon find flaws in default planes too (and i am certain there are flaws).

They stepped up the default quality of planes, like XP11 did before. But it doesn't mean what they created is perfect in any way, we are shown what they want us to show and since it's a product aimed not only at simmers there will always be certain features of the real aircraft no one is much interested in besides the most obsessed guys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I think that there will be plenty of room for the add on market in the future. My guess is that the MS/Asobo Devs are going to go the extra mile on the aircraft that they plan to release with the simulator. Number one they will showcase the simulator and get you and I excited as customers but also it will give some samples of what Devs can now do with this new technology and hopefully get them excited about future projects. I suspect that folks at A2A and Milviz will have plenty of work. The lower end and less talented outfits such as Carenado will have to step up their game or they may just go away.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, roarkr said:

I guess both Microsoft and Asobo, and others can make superb airplanes.

The questions is do they want to? Do they see a good enough Business Case for it?

It is always a cost/income decision that needs be be taken. Both costs and income can also be other values than pure dollars.

Exactly!

Yes, they could. But do they want to? If no, then there will be a third party dev happily taking over.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

I highly doubt it.

Considering the amount of work it takes, to produce an aircraft with the quality and depth as PMDG and FSLabs creates, i doubt that Microsoft/Asobo, will find it feasible to do this.

I wouldn't be so sure. How large is a project team at a company like Milviz, A2A or FSL or PMDG ? The equivalent of 3/5 full-time jobs ?  They are just not in the same league. The MS/ASobo ressources are enormous compared to them. 

Add to that a proclaimed willingness to do their best with some apparent evidence, in the EP trailers, that they mean it . As I said in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see, fort the first time,  the default aircraft become the new standard of excellence. Some of them at least.

Does that mean that outside developers will go south ? Why do I buy aircraft addons ?

- because I don't like the FSX/P3D default (choice, systems, FDE). If FS20 brings me convincing XCub, TBM turboprop, Icon5 floatplane and bizjet, I will have plenty to play for a few years.

- because I want a niche aircraft  like the AN-2 or DC3 or PC6 or Stearman etc. Plenty of room here for 3rd parties.  

- because I want a superdetailed liner à la FSL or PMDG. We dont' have enough visibility on Asobo 747 and Neo to say anything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Plot twist: PMDG works together with Microsoft to provide an accurate default 737 at launch. 😄

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved