Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

MSFS 2020 Addon quality

Asobo have already said they are going to leave aircraft (and airports) to 3rd party devs for the most part "as they do it better".

That said, remember that developers are also restricted in what they can do by the respective sim and its SDK they're developing for. FSX and even still P3D for example have lots of limitations that developers have to work around if possible. There are lots of things they are able to do but can't because of sim limitations, so not everything which might be lacking in an addon is because of a lack of ability on the developer side.

I'm sure developers will be able to do fantastic stuff using the new sim's SDK, especially since they're invited to test it and voice feedback as well as wishes for improvement. As long as the SDK is of high quality the new sim will also enable developers to improve their addons.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I think when Asobo said third party devs can do it better they were referring more to the amount of work that can be done. They can't make every plane out there but I agree with @domkle's post 100%. You just can't compare flight sim 3pds to the ability of a AAA level studio putting out projects nominated for game of the year. They have far more resources at their disposal, not to mention the fact that aircraft manufacturers are even more willing to work with them.

This is not a knock on 3PDs. In fact it's actually amazing what they've done over the years with what they have. But the line of thinking that says Asobo would need the same amount of time to make a PMDG level plane is straight up misguided.

The average DLC expansion for modern games cost about $30 and they often feel like stand-alone games. I'm fully confident Asobo could put out a top of the line 737 and charge far less than what PMDG will. Just look at the amount of work they've accomplished from concept to what we have now in a few years.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

The average DLC expansion for modern games cost about $30 and they often feel like stand-alone games. I'm fully confident Asobo could put out a top of the line 737 and charge far less than what PMDG will. Just look at the amount of work they've accomplished from concept to what we have now in a few years.

Especially if they are selling within the simulator itself, they could potentially ensure absolutely every user is aware of their releases, if they are really clever perhaps free trials occasionally as well.

They've shown themselves to be pretty impressive at marketing so far....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

And in my case, I neither want or care for "study level" which words I loath as much as "permutations"  nor would I pay $100. So the argument is moot here. I'm not buying or flying a button simulator. 

2 hours ago, Casualcas said:

And in my case, I neither want or care for "study level" which words I loath as much as "permutations"  nor would I pay $100. So the argument is moot here. I'm not buying or flying a button simulator. 

You're thinking PMDG and similar.  

A2ASimulations, for example, make some "study level" GA aircraft and warbirds that are actually very nice.  I expect a few of these to make it into MSFS eventually.  With any luck, there will be one or more available at release.

I have no interest in button simulators or flying computers myself, but I occasionally like an aircraft with a bit more depth.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 1/18/2020 at 5:38 PM, Krakin said:

You just can't compare flight sim 3pds to the ability of a AAA level studio putting out projects nominated for game of the year.

I’m sure they could produce highly detailed models. However, I’d be surprised if they had the same experience to program the complex systems and avionics to the same level that we’ve seen from the likes of PMDG.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

34 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I’m sure they could produce highly detailed models. However, I’d be surprised if they had the same experience to program the complex systems and avionics to the same level that we’ve seen from the likes of PMDG.

You aren't surprised that their lack of flight sim experience in general didn't prevent them from doing what we've seen so far?

36 minutes ago, Krakin said:

You aren't surprised that their lack of flight sim experience in general didn't prevent them from doing what we've seen so far?

I think MS could do it without a doubt. But I think they rather put their resources into developing the core tech and let 3rd party devs do the rest. This is a win-win for everyone.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Doesn't anyone think that perhaps the aircraft displayed thus far in '2020' are lend/lease from their developers?

21 hours ago, LHookins said:

You're thinking PMDG and similar.  

A2ASimulations, for example, make some "study level" GA aircraft and warbirds that are actually very nice.  I expect a few of these to make it into MSFS eventually.  With any luck, there will be one or more available at release.

I have no interest in button simulators or flying computers myself, but I occasionally like an aircraft with a bit more depth.

Hook

I understand why some people like this,  being able to choose oil, go into your hanger and change props.... but my idea of being as real as it gets isn't a screen full of pop up windows. 

Yes, they have amazing electrical systems, aircraft and flight dynamics but in my case that's all I would use,  because the rest of it is just .... well, too simulated if you know what I mean. 

Guess it's the same reason I never bought GSX. too many windows and key presses. 

Though I do like the checklists. Because those are pretty much like real life. I know, I'm odd

Edited by Casualcas

Yeah simulating aircraft systems is the easy part compared to writing the rest of the sim.

It’s not like coding an aircraft is a black art that only few can do. It’s a long road and can be complex stuff for sure but it’s more that not many people are interested/can do it. 

The other good reason for Asobo to build their own stuff is because it allows them to build tools (which will become the SDK) that make it easy to build the content. They can see the kind of things 3rd parties need access to and can remove unnecessary or complex hoops. 

Edited by NZ255
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

Doesn't anyone think that perhaps the aircraft displayed thus far in '2020' are lend/lease from their developers?

I hope not because that wouldn't make any sense. Let's just drop the mentality of thinking things are the way they used to be. The old sims are really old and things have changed.

3 hours ago, NZ255 said:

It’s not like coding an aircraft is a black art that only few can do.

Given some of the aircraft I've seen (even payware from respected developers), while coding it might be easy enough, doing it right isn't quite the same.

Coding a *good* aircraft does indeed seem to be a black art.  Understanding thoroughly what the aircraft should be doing, making it work within the limitations and compromises of the sim, and being willing to put in the extra effort to get it right is pretty special.

Think of the difference between an aircraft made as a labor of love versus one made to a strict budget.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

3 hours ago, Casualcas said:

Though I do like the checklists. Because those are pretty much like real life. I know, I'm odd

Heh!  Not odd at all.  If nothing else the checklist is an instruction sheet on how to operate the aircraft.  When I've been away from one for a while the checklists are essential to getting the thing in the air.

I usually rewrite the default checklists to work better for the way I use the plane.  This is not difficult at all.  If nothing else I add notes for things like best climb and glide speeds, suggested power settings with their speeds and fuel consumption, anything else I need while flying that can be stated in a few words.

Sometimes I just want to jump in and fly.  Other times I like to monitor the engine or other systems.  But most of my time is spent actually flying, not filling my screen with pop-up windows.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

3 hours ago, LHookins said:

I usually rewrite the default checklists to work better for the way I use the plane.

That's what I do too! My lists aren't really checklist but more some kind of 'to do lists' so they contain a lot more steps/information. But ONLY the steps etc. that I actually need: everything else which doesn't need changing or whatever is left off the list. Hence they aren't really checklist as such. Whenever I am learning to fly a new plane I note every step I have to take to go from A to B and after a few flights I end up with a nice and very concise list. I started doing this a long time ago with my first FSX airliners because I noticed that if I didn't fly a plane for a few months it was hard to get back into them. But with my lists I can fly any plane I once flew right away and without any problems! Very convenient.