Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

Need some help with new Rift S

Just hope that some-one can advise me, using X Plane 11 as well as Dirt Rally I have found that the Rift S graphics much poorer than I have seen on You Tube (through the lens).

Out of focus/fuzzy and have difficulty in reading some of the cockpit dials as well as distance but the main problem and I think this is called screen door (please correct me if I'm wrong) but the display is rather like putting your eyes right up to a TV screen, like looking out of a mesh screen.

Absolutely love VR but this is my first experience and nothing like the videos of the Rift S through the lens I have watched.

Does VR visibly show a meshy screen as you look through the headset and if so, how do I reduce it?  Also how do  I improve the graphics as my frame rate is down to 20fps.

I have an i7-900K 

Nvidia RTX 2070

32GB RAM

ROG Gaming Motherboard

Visual Effects High HDR (one down from the max setting)  

833MB Texures

Antialaising  X2 SSAA+FXAA No Shadows

Number of World Object High

Reflection Detail Off

No AI with only draw parked aircraft

I am not sure whether it may be my eyes as have tried with and without glasses, I have very good long distance sight but need glasses when reading text or a book, I also have downloaded the Oculus Tray and just set Default Super Sampling to 1.5, have not noticed any difference that I can see.

Being on a pension and paying £399.99 it is a lot to me however, I am hoping that some-body may be able to describe what I should or should not expect from it but the feeling of being in the cockpit is mind blowing, BTW 

Could the Rift S be at fault?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Nigel.

Edited by Nigel

Do you wear glasses?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, Nigel said:

Does VR visibly show a meshy screen as you look through the headset

Yes. Known as the "screen door effect" It's relatively soft in the Rift S compared to the old Rift, but it is still there. There is no way of getting rid of it, alas, but settings can probably effect the relative harshness of it.

13 hours ago, Nigel said:

Out of focus/fuzzy and have difficulty in reading

Like HighFlyer said, glasses? You need to wear them in VR if you have them.

Second trick is supersampling: Use the Oculus debug tool or download the OculusTraytool to easier set SS levels. This will make the image much sharper. With your machine you'll be able to crank it up nicely.

Many thanks for the above, have tried the Oculus Traytool but still only getting 20 fps in X Plane 11 and stutters when flying from East Midlands, also having huge problems with out of focus, ran another game Dirt Rally and no problems there.

Just a bit lost on what to do.

Regards

Nigel. 

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

still only getting 20 fps in X Plane 11 and stutters

I can't speak for x-plane, but these old pre-VR sims don't perform well in the first place and even worse in VR. 20fps might be normal for X-plane in VR. In Prepar3d, which I use, the trick is simply to reduce quality settings when flying VR vs. flying on a screen.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Very many thanks for all of your help and advice, sorry for the lateness in replying but have been fairly busy.  Tried numerous times but still had the problems of vision being fuzzy so after a lot of thought reluctantly sent it back.

Really gutted but could not see a way forward with the Rift S, being in the cockpit with VR is a game changer, was given the option of another Rift S but TBH, I didn't want to  go through all that again.  Have decided to wait and see what other options there may be in VR in the coming year.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Nigel.