Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Flight Sim ONLY: What do I buy?

I've recently replaced my Rift CV1 with a Valve Index.  Noticeable improvement in clarity, wider FOV, sweet spot acceptable, a few godrays sometimes, comfortable for me personally.

GoodLLuck, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

2 hours ago, OldFlyboy said:

Rift s? or.............

Gonna depend on your budget (and priorities)

I would say Rift or Reverb unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, in which case maybe the index.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi,

I went from cv1 to rift s and was pretty pleased with visual upgrade but not flabbergasted. I expected a little more visual fireworks after owning the cv1 for 3 years. I also upgraded to 2080ti and 9700k simultaneously so my improvement in visual quality (not perse resolution wise) and fps were major compared to my old system and cv1.

However, I really wanted the reverb but due to all quality issues last summer and the fact that it is not as plug and play as the rift s I decided otherwise.

The Oculus software is very good and fast (after a few reinstallments and a few HDMI issues) and the rift s somehow performs better than the cv1 on the same system despite it's higher resolution.

P3dv4 had major issues with crash to desktop and I finally ditched that stuff. I'm really into xplane11 now and that runs pretty awesome on my new system. It was unplayable on my old PC.

Afs2 runs like butter but I find it rather boring with no weather or life in that sim.

Dcs is great but rather complex for me since I only play a couple of hours per week...

Valve index looks pretty good but it is expensive.

Vive cosmos is rather disappointing after reading many reviews but I can't judge that myself.

What are your system specs?

Cheers

Jozeff

For me is the one answer - take HP Reverb (but revision 2). The best VR for sims on market now (best resolution what is important). Maybe the next Pimax 8KX (but not before this September).

Check Your IPD only, Reverb has only digital IPD (so the best is for something between 63-66 IPD).

I had Rift CV1, Rift S, HTC Vive and Pimax 5K+, I preffer Reverb.

BUT it also depends from your spec of PC ....

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I've had HTC Vive, Odyssey+, tested a Rift S for 10 days, and HP Reverb.  The Reverb wins hands down.  My plan was to keep the O+ for night flying because it uses OLEDs (better black levels), but after the Reverb it just sits in the closet.  My IPD is 61.5 and works fine with the Reverb.  I did like the Rift S though and am sort of sorry I returned it.

• Upvote 1

OLED are nice, agree, Id like to have it (maybe in Pimax 8KX but not now, I'll wait for first users tests), Pimax is problematic comapny ...

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I’m on DCS with the HP Reverb, it is mind blowing. Yes it’s complex but you can keep it simple if you wish, there is gaming versions of aircraft and if you can afford the right equipment (1080ti at a minimum) then you’re on your way to many hours of awesomeness. 

Thank you all for the information and opinions. I should have noted my specs at he beginning: Sabertooth Z-97 MB with cpu clocked at 4.2. Graphics card is nVidia 1080ti. Lots of memory and SSD hard drives running P3Dv4.5

At this point I am reluctant to pay much beyond $500 so maybe I should hold off just a bit longer. Living here in Dogpatch does not give me a peek at a demo either.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

For 1080Ti I think Rift S will be ok. 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I own and use the Reverb. With reading gauges, charts and text, anything less in resolution would be rather bothersome to use IMO.

Edited by VeryBumpy

One more question: With Rift S can one takeoff and land in VR, as well as normal activities such as ILS approaches, etc?

My earlier experiences were dismal except while in flight,

Nvidia 1080Ti, CPU overclocked to 4.3, all drives SSD, 40" HDMI monitor.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

On 2/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, OldFlyboy said:

One more question: With Rift S can one takeoff and land in VR, as well as normal activities such as ILS approaches, etc?

My earlier experiences were dismal except while in flight,

I have the Rift S and run it with an oversampling rate of usually 1.6 (i7 6700k@4.5GHz, Rtx2070 Super). This results in a pretty sharp and very acceptable performance. Takeoffs, landings, ILS approaches are simply breathtaking in VR! Manual landings are also much easier in VR due to the real 3D view.

Edited by Flyfox

Felix