Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Pimax 8kX reaches 20/20 readability in Snellen Test

22 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

The Pimax Vision 8kX has passed a reasonably credible Snellen Test at 20/20 readability. This is a very significant milestone for VR. Full readability for cockpit instruments.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vision-8kx-snellen-test-20-20-readability-eye-exam-chart/25456

Though I noticed when perusing the link that there were some significant caveats. Still, a hopeful sign!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"Unambigiously better than 20/32. Approximately 20/20."

If you believe this methodology, which has nothing to do with display resolution.

No worries. I will have it very soon and I will give a report.

I already have Pimax 8k+ and HP Reverb, and I have no problem read the cockpit instruments without leaning over.

I'm no expert but it's difficult to know how you could set up the chart for VR based on the parameters you have to enter at https://wolfchart.org (which, apparently, generated the chart used in the test). The site asks for the distance from which the chart is being viewed, not where you want it to be. It also asks you to accurately measure a line on your display in millimetres, which callibrates the chart for the pixel density of the display being used. The test site made the chart on a normal, non-VR display (was it the same pixel density as the HMD?) and then made some adjustments through the HMD to approximate the same chart size and position. The last line of their procedure says "Roughly evaluate result". How can this be remotely accurate? Or is there something I'm not understanding?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Because the wolfchart instructions are not the end of the process for using with VR.

The angular size of the chart displayed on a monitor must be matched to what is seen through VirtualDesktop in VR.

https://github.com/mirage335/extendedInterface/tree/master/app/VirtualDesktop/snellen

Also, ideally, this is done somewhat conservatively, for example, with the website chart scaled to 80% even if there appears to be a qualitatively good match between Virtual/Physical screen size.

Edited by mirage335
clarification

You just need to do the math for how many arc seconds the letters on the 20/20 should be, and reproduce this in the sim.

Should tell you what you need.

Alternatively, you could work out which text in a C172 or 737 cockpit is equivalent to 20/20 when seated at a normal distance, and then work out whether you can read it.

You don't have to be 20 feet/6 meters away. Most Snellen chart testing is done at 3 meters. Stand at the back of 737 cockpit and try to read text x mm high (don't have a chart handy, or i'd check the height myself!)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."