Sign in to follow this  
AndreasAgios

Ground Textures

Hello pilots! I have a new PC and now I fly with more than 100fps! But I see a small problam that obviously is not from my machine! Some distant ground textures are very late to load and they look very blurry (uloaded) unless I come very close! What can I do for that? Is some configuration in the sim or in my card that can fix this? 

Setting your VC and Spot view to 0.50 zoom is what I do. it don't eliminate it but it helps a lot, especially under 10,000 ft, over that there's not a lot yo can do, thats just the way the sim is. Over 10,000 you have to play with weather and visibility to get desired results.You cal also try locking your frame rate to 30 to give it more time to load textures.

Edited by Scorp
spelling

5 hours ago, Scorp said:

Setting your VC and Spot view to 0.50 zoom is what I do. it don't eliminate it but it helps a lot, especially under 10,000 ft, over that there's not a lot yo can do, thats just the way the sim is. Over 10,000 you have to play with weather and visibility to get desired results.You cal also try locking your frame rate to 30 to give it more time to load textures.

Hmmm yes, I forced to fix the visibility with this haze smooth effect from FSUIPC but is ok, the realistic is to have humidity, dust, polution etc etc, and not to have all clear unlimited visibility! But another thing that is annoying is the builidings and generaly the objects that appear and disappear despite my good machine and very high frame rates! Can I fix that!? 

Edited by AndreasAgios

I've got my FS9 looking pretty nice, with a visibility setting of 80nm and cloud draw distance at 60nm.

I can also recommend envtex (free) for nice soft horizon and clouds etc.

Also try these entries in your fs9.cfg: (TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL can be left at 19 if you don't use any higher resolution mesh addons)

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=256

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=1000.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=1000.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

On 1/27/2020 at 12:41 PM, AndreasAgios said:

But another thing that is annoying is the builidings and generaly the objects that appear and disappear despite my good machine and very high frame rates! Can I fix that!? 

Not that I know of. Autogen  is set to appear and disappear in the sim at a certain distance from the user aircraft.

16 hours ago, neumanix said:

I've got my FS9 looking pretty nice, with a visibility setting of 80nm and cloud draw distance at 60nm.

I can also recommend envtex (free) for nice soft horizon and clouds etc.

Also try these entries in your fs9.cfg: (TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL can be left at 19 if you don't use any higher resolution mesh addons)

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=256

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=1000.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=1000.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

I have all these done, except the texture bandwidth mult that I have to 120... What will be the difference with 256?

Edited by AndreasAgios

On 1/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, AndreasAgios said:

I have all these done, except the texture bandwidth mult that I have to 120... What will be the difference with 256?

I don't know. If you run unlimited fps then this setting has no effect, at least that's what I read sometime long ago. Just try different values and see if it does anything.

One more tweak that I also just added to my fresh FS9 install, is the TEXTUREMAXLOAD=10. That line also goes under [DISPLAY].

12 hours ago, neumanix said:

I don't know. If you run unlimited fps then this setting has no effect, at least that's what I read sometime long ago. Just try different values and see if it does anything.

One more tweak that I also just added to my fresh FS9 install, is the TEXTUREMAXLOAD=10. That line also goes under [DISPLAY].

Thank you my friend! Another annoying issue is that the buildings and sometimes also ground textures or runways taxiways and trees look like shimmering and only when you put mip mapping to 4 stop this but with mip mapping to 4 the scenery is blurry! 

If you have an Nvidia GPU, install Nvidia Inspector and set for FS2004 antialiasing to 8xSQ. If it's too hard in FPS, you'll have to decide what do you prefer.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

11 hours ago, AndreasAgios said:

when you put mip mapping to 4 stop this but with mip mapping to 4 the scenery is blurry

This has puzzled me also, but what works best is to set mip mapping to 4. I can't really see a difference between 4 and 8 here, besides the shimmer you get if you set it above 4.

It's the detail1.bmp (grass overlay texture) and trees that shimmer, although the textures have mipmaps. It's weird.

As Luis also wrote, you can increase the antialiasing if your GPU can handle it. This can remove most of the shimmers but not all.