Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

L1011 aliases B737 800 sounds, but they are different

I installed Tom's L1011 and it works well.

But I noticed in the config files that no sound files were added and instead, the L1011 uses an alias so that I assume it uses the sounds (wav files) for the B737 since all that is in the in the sound.cfg file says the following....

[fltsim]
alias=B737_800\sound

The problem is....the sounds from the L1011 are very different from those of the B737_800

It's as if the L1011 is getting it's sounds from somewhere else in spite of the configuration.

Help?

When you say "the sounds are different" are you referring to the engine sounds?  If so, keep in mind that the 737 is a 2 engine jet while the L-1011 has 3.  There should be plenty of freeware sound sets around for 3 engine jets like the DC-10, L-1011. or even a Falcon 50.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

6 hours ago, charliearon said:

When you say "the sounds are different" are you referring to the engine sounds?  If so, keep in mind that the 737 is a 2 engine jet while the L-1011 has 3.  There should be plenty of freeware sound sets around for 3 engine jets like the DC-10, L-1011. or even a Falcon 50.

That makes sense.   I'm not good enough (yet) with the sound.cfg files to make heads or tails of it.  I just assumed that the Alias to the B737 would use those exact same sound files.   I did not realize that the L1011 configuration would simulate the 3 engines.  I guess I have to decipher the sound.cfg file and see how they do it.

My objective was to lower the overall volume of the Outside Engine Noise because it was just a bit too loud relative to the other sounds and my wife could hear the outside engines in the kitchen...... from my home office about 40 feet away and around a hallway bend.

Just looking in the sound.cfg file for the default 737-800, this is the setting you should be adjusting:

OutsideConeVolume=9000   There are a lot of these lines throughout the entire sound,cfg, so lower each

one, maybe cut it in half.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 hours ago, KFXE said:

my wife could hear the outside engines in the kitchen......

😃

Due to similar problem i had to buy decent headphones

Artur