Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

32 or 64 gb memory?

It is not possible to know what memory amount will be best for the new simulator until it is out and in it's full available format, however I can not see a company trying to reach a very large market optimizing their product for machines with 32-64GB of memory. That would toss them into a situation where the average person who would make up their largest market not be able to run the product to satisfaction without buying hardware that is uncommon outside of high end systems today.

as for the M.2 inquiry,..  M.2 in the correct port (without sharing) and with Windows installed on it clean, runs far faster than any SATA port SDD. They do run very hot so it is best to make sure the M.2 socket has a good heatsink for the stick and perhaps include a small fan blowing over it.

Edited by sillyflyer
Additional Information

7 minutes ago, sillyflyer said:

as for the M.2 inquiry,..  M.2 in the correct port (without sharing) and with Windows installed on it clean, runs far faster than any SATA port SDD.

How much is 'far faster' in terms of access and read rates, and how does this impact P3D behavior over SATA 3?  Do these M.2 drives use a PCI slot, or how do they connect?  For sharing, presumably that means data exchange at the the same time, IOW, if I'm sharing a port w/ an SSD, and the SSD is not being accessed at the same moment, does 'sharing' matter?  I'll always put OS/Sim/Add-ons on  the same drive so there will not be moments when both drives are accessed, FWIW.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have been using NVMe drives on my last 2 builds....They boot almost instantly.  Scenery loads really really fast.....I did a 1TB and I did add some SSDs in Raid 5 for extra Storage but everything SIM is on that NVMe drive.  They have little sockets they plug into and connect to the Processor over PCIe links (think mine is at 4x).

I went with DDR4 3600 since loading memory is always a benefit but the 4000 stuff is stupid dumb expensive.

I did a 9700K with a AIO Watercooler and it is able to overclock lots of cores...You save some cash since this is an 8 Core no HT...Most stuff does not use HT or even lots of cores these days...good performer.

Les O'Reilly

Hey Les...   good calls. If that 3600 memory is running C16-16-16 you have top end system. If not it depends on the memory timing however C17 is not terrible, just not hitting the full potential.

as for top level performing DDR4 4000 being stupid dumb expensive..   sorry, not always and not when it is truly top level performance: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1580449157/F4-4000C15D-16GTRG-Qvl

I actually bought those recently for 295.00 to replace the DDR4 4133 C-17-17-17 (which I will keep as spares) that at the time cost 400.00 a year or so back, in which they were not a bad purchase for performance at the time. Those 4000 15-16-16 sticks will smoke the DDR4 4133 sticks in performance for 100 bucks less. This is the basic lesson about memory most need to learn and unfortunately it will be an never ending ignorantly based argument.

@ Noel, I appreciate your somewhat scientific curiosity, however I would suggest you stop questioning very obvious modern hardware spec/value VS performance and get on the bandwagon. While everyone else is seeing the real advantages you're sitting there getting left in the dust. It will save you a lot of obsessive time and get you where you want to be if you simply stop trying to quantify data, realize you never will....  and enjoy!!

As for storage device or video adapter sharing, I never do it regardless of IRQ efficiency. I would put my money into a motherboard that has a M.2 socket that I would avoid sharing with any other port, and make sure it is properly cooled. Also, many motherboards support a NVMe drive on a PCIe card than can be run from PCIe x16 (or x8) slot #3. Of course you must research that slot properly to be sure the NVMe drive is not only bootable from there, but also will not share (interfere) with any other drive or PCIe device.

Good luck all!!

Edited by sillyflyer
Additional Information

@sillyflyer

new egg and Canada computers has that item you list here for $780 dollars.....ugh yeah that is stupid expensive compared to where you got it for 295.... The DDR-3600 was around 150-200....

Les O'Reilly

Oh goodness...  that IS crazy stupid!!! I AGREE

You definitely appear to know what you are doing!

I can't address yours or anyone else's country crazy taxes or import fees. That wasn't the point. The point was knowing how to select true memory performance over the memory manufactures marketing con jobs and quite frankly these VAT or other BS taxes and fees along with sellers knowing they can stick it to certain country markets is quite sickening.

I don't know what the timing is on your DDR4 3600 for that price but if its C18+ you should have run with 3200 C14-15. Apparently you are restricted in seeking out memory options due to excessive cost in your location which sucks.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232981?Description=F4-4000C15D-16GTRG&cm_re=F4-4000C15D-16GTRG-_-20-232-981-_-Product&quicklink=true

Contact someone in the USA to get them from Newegg.com and have them shipped to you stashed in a gift basket. Even if the person did it for 150 US bucks I would still take that deal in a heartbeat for what you get ripped off for up there! :laugh:

Edited by sillyflyer
Additional Information

22 hours ago, sillyflyer said:

@ Noel, I appreciate your somewhat scientific curiosity, however I would suggest you stop questioning very obvious modern hardware spec/value VS performance and get on the bandwagon.  While everyone else is seeing the real advantages you're sitting there getting left in the dust. It will save you a lot of obsessive time and get you where you want to be if you simply stop trying to quantify data, realize you never will....  and enjoy!!

Oh, ok good you have it all nailed down now for me.  You don't know me, my priorities, what I value, so your comment is just rude tripe.  Please don't reply to further questions I pose I don't care to hear anything you might have to contribute, and I'll do the same for other tripe you post to others.   

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 2/27/2020 at 6:17 PM, LesOReilly said:

I have been using NVMe drives on my last 2 builds....They boot almost instantly.  Scenery loads really really fast.....I did a 1TB and I did add some SSDs in Raid 5 for extra Storage but everything SIM is on that NVMe drive.  They have little sockets they plug into and connect to the Processor over PCIe links (think mine is at 4x).

I went with DDR4 3600 since loading memory is always a benefit but the 4000 stuff is stupid dumb expensive.

I did a 9700K with a AIO Watercooler and it is able to overclock lots of cores...You save some cash since this is an 8 Core no HT...Most stuff does not use HT or even lots of cores these days...good performer.

Much appreciated thank you Les.

Noel

Did Les give you the quantified data you were after in respect to NVMe vs SATA SSD and P3D?

YeS!  From the reaction I definitely nailed it for you. You do this all the time.

Take a vacation and build that system with unshared NVMe!  :laugh:  :huh: You will not regret it. I think Les tried to suggest the same thing.

So long!   I'll bow out of this thread now. All I post is uneducated tripe  :cool:      typical around here :ohmy: :rolleyes:

Edited by sillyflyer
Nothing Better To Do

52 minutes ago, sillyflyer said:

So long!   I'll bow out of this thread now.

Best idea yet!

Noel