Sign in to follow this  
seric76

GNS V2 using GTN database

Hello Guys, I tried to edit windows 10-64 environment variables and copy paste from GTN trainer DB to GNS navdata and terrain files but unsuccesful, advice please what else should I do.

Screenshot_19.png

GTN Trainer:

Screenshot_20.png

Screenshot_21.png

Screenshot_22.png

51 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

GTN DB files are not compatible with the GNS series....

Correct, not since about 2015, up until when they did share the same database.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Strange as I can update the original 430 simulator of Gramin still with files from a GTN650 database:

Copy the following files 

• ldr_sys/avtn_db.bin -> worldwide.bin
  • bmap.bin -> basemap.bin
  • terrain.odb -> terrain.odb

On 12/26/2020 at 5:16 AM, PeterBremer said:

from a GTN650 database:

With the DB included with the GTN Trainer, or with "a" DB coming from another source?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

56 minutes ago, RXP said:

With the DB included with the GTN Trainer, or with "a" DB coming from another source?

From the database of a real GTN (if you own it legally).
It is also possible to use the GTN trainer database which is newer than the 430 trainer database. Then use the equivalent files.

Edited by PeterBremer

3 hours ago, PeterBremer said:

From the database of a real GTN (if you own it legally).
It is also possible to use the GTN trainer database which is newer than the 430 trainer database. Then use the equivalent files.

The GTN Trainer does not come with an avtn_db file, unfortunately.. :unsure:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

The GTN Trainer does not come with an avtn_db file, unfortunately.. :unsure:

Yes it does at my installation: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\avtn_db.bin

Just copy that one for the 430/530 worldwide.bin

Could be that avtn_db.bin is for not-US only. Am not sure. The trainer insstalls for both US and non-US so expect it should be there.

2 minutes ago, PeterBremer said:

Yes it does at my installation: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\avtn_db.bin

Just copy that one for the 430/530 worldwide.bin

Could be that avtn_db.bin is for not-US only. Am not sure. The trainer insstalls for both US and non-US so expect it should be there.

I only get nav_db2, no avtn_db... maybe you got that from somewhere else.. :huh:

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I only get nav_db2, no avtn_db... maybe you got that from somewhere else.. :huh:

Could be, but something similar would be needed for a worldide database of the GTN , nav_db2 is not sufficient I expect.

For some reason the real GTN needs both, so I expect the trainer as well because that is effecytively the same as the real thing, and I found out that the avtn_db works also for the GNS.

But if you really do not have it I am afarid I can not help with that one.

1 hour ago, PeterBremer said:

Could be, but something similar would be needed for a worldwide database of the GTN , nav_db2 is not sufficient I expect.

Actually it is... 😉

My understanding is that if you have a subscription, you get both the GNS and GTN formats.

The GTN Trainer does come with two databases nav_db2 and nav_db2_grm.. but neither of these are in the GNS format..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Actually it is... 😉

My understanding is that if you have a subscription, you get both the GNS and GTN formats.

The GTN Trainer does come with two databases nav_db2 and nav_db2_grm.. but neither of these are in the GNS format..

OK will check later by removing it. Strange you  would get GNS files with a subscription as well if you did not pay for it. The size of that file is different between the GTN version and the file, somewhat smaller, as you get with a subscription for a GNS.

Garmin has introduced a new DB format (ADB2) which is no longer compatible with the previous one. However, it seems the G500 Jeppesen DB works with the GNS as-is.

More info p3 here:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01464-00_C.pdf

Starting with G1000 GDU version 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU version 6.50, Garmin began supporting a new format of the Navigation database known as ADB2.  The ADB2 filename on the SD card is “nav_db2.bin”.  G1000 GDU software versions prior to 15.10 and G2/3/5000 GDU software versions prior to 6.50 only support the ADB1 database format.  The ADB1 filename on the SD card is “avtn_db.bin”.  Database update tools will program both versions of the database onto the card and the avionics will use the database file appropriate for the system.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

8 hours ago, RXP said:

Garmin has introduced a new DB format (ADB2) which is no longer compatible with the previous one. However, it seems the G500 Jeppesen DB works with the GNS as-is.

More info p3 here:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01464-00_C.pdf

Interesting document. It covers SD cards only.

Nott only for the G1000 GDU but for the GTN650 Garmin supplies both formats 'avtn_db.bin' and 'nav_db2.bin' at the same time. Possibly to do with different firmware versions in the field.

For the GNS530/430 cards it is slightly different.
For those can be written to an USB stick with a program like Win32DiskImager and then the files can be read.