Sign in to follow this  
Mad_X

Falcon 50 PBR repainting - question

Hi,

quick question here from a painter with not much experience with PBR: I have do a repaint for the Falcon and exported it via GIMP with the DDS plugin and DXT5. So far so good. The only issue I have, and I have this also the downloaded repaints, the chrome engine intakes and leading edges of the wing are much much darker - almost black. I know this has to do with PBR but do I have to do to lighten them? Or is this a issue of the paintkit? 

24 minutes ago, Mad_X said:

Hi,

quick question here from a painter with not much experience with PBR: I have do a repaint for the Falcon and exported it via GIMP with the DDS plugin and DXT5. So far so good. The only issue I have, and I have this also the downloaded repaints, the chrome engine intakes and leading edges of the wing are much much darker - almost black. I know this has to do with PBR but do I have to do to lighten them? Or is this a issue of the paintkit? 

Try REALLY lightening the metal areas on the albedo file.  A lot of developers aren’t adjusting metal components colors and the result is a darker component.  

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Hey Brian,

There is no Albeado for this bird (unlike the Maddog). It is just a bmp or a DDS. And what exactly do I have to lighten? 

Just now, Mad_X said:

Hey Brian,

There is no Albeado for this bird (unlike the Maddog). It is just a bmp or a DDS. And what exactly do I have to lighten? 

It might go by a different file name but there is an Albedo file.  It’s the same file that has the engine inlet textures.

I don’t have the aircraft so I can’t point you to the exact file. But It’ll just take some searching. 

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Yep I thnik the paintkit is broken here. 

2020-02-01-01-38-13-Clipboard.jpg

Edited by Mad_X

1 hour ago, Mad_X said:

2020-02-01-01-38-13-Clipboard.jpg

The paintkit should have a "P3Dv4 Only" Layer. I haven't used GIMP in forever, but when I created it in Photoshop, that is exactly how it was.

Whether or not that's how it is when Mark uploaded it is beyond me.

Also, there is an Albedo layer.... The albedo layer is what you're painting on...

Link to my personal website where my work is shown.
https://eliamonater.wixsite.com/wickeddesigns

I use affinity photo to paint and gimp for the export. 
i have checked all layers and found nothing 😕

On 2/1/2020 at 3:14 AM, Wickedbacon92 said:

The paintkit should have a "P3Dv4 Only" Layer. I haven't used GIMP in forever, but when I created it in Photoshop, that is exactly how it was.

Whether or not that's how it is when Mark uploaded it is beyond me.

Also, there is an Albedo layer.... The albedo layer is what you're painting on...

Checked once more with a fresh paintkit strait from the website: no p3dv4 layer and dark grey leading edges. 

Hi,

I'd like to bump this up because it never has been solved. The painkit which I have dl'ed yesterday from the FSW website has neither a P3DV4 layer nor an albedo file. Neither in GIMP nor in Photoshop. The metallic surfaces are, together with all white sufaces, on a layer called BASE. So - how can I reproduce the metallic texture of the leading edge and the engine inlets for my own repaint? 

Also, I'm unsure about the DDS conversion. I have GIMP 2.10, which has DDS procedures, but none of the options seem to work - the output file always has a dimension slightliy different from 4096x4096.

What does work (except for the metallic surfaces) is this weird workflow:

• Edit fuselage.dds in GIMP and save as bmp (creates a file with 65MB)
  • Open one of the provided fuselage.bmp in DXTBMP (which is the only app which opens these files anyway) and send to editor (which is paint.net in my case, used for the texture creation)
  • Paste the GIMP bmp over the texture in paint.net and save
  • Reload and save in DXTBMP, either flipped as DDS or normal as BMP. Both output files have a size of 21MB and a res of 4096x4096.

But this can't be it. So what is the correct procedure, and how can I get the metallic textures to work?

Please note that I'm no GIMP/PS expert. I'm sufficiently skilled to paint stuff on existing templates, but most of the other things these programs have to offer (which is like the other 98%) makes my brain spin in overdrive. So keep explanations simple please 😋

Boris

The website had the old paint kit. It is now updated. Please download again!

The layer group called "Chrome"  should be enabled based on your version of the sim. This is included in the instructions.

For PBR leave chrome enabled. This will show a dark color so the metallic layer can show chrome effects. So if you want to adjust this you need to do this in the metallic texture which is not included in the kit. You can download this from the product. I suggest to not edit the chrome.

When you making a paint kit for P3D PBR the main texture is called a Albedo. For non PBR the layer is referenced as a diffuse. But these names are for the modeler. You will have names like fuselage.

MAD_X

The image with the chrome is for non PBR and the other that is just gray for PBR. So based on what you doing turn on or off the chrome layer in photoshop. This is a layer at the top of the stack.

Edited by Flysimware
  • Upvote 1