Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Anyone Air Cooling the i9 9900K?

13 hours ago, vortex681 said:

So how can you know for sure? Leaks seemed to be more of a problem in the early day of AIOs but I'd tend to agree with Rob that, whilst obviously possible, they are now very rare unless the cooler is mishandled. Reports of spontaneous leaks after the system has been in use for some time are few and far between when you consider the number of AIOs out there. I think that, like most things today, anyone who has (or has had) a leak tends to be very vociferous about it whereas those who have no problems tend not to go into print to say so. My experience with AIOs has been good but that wouldn't necessarily stop me considering an air cooler for a future build but it would have to perform well with a decent overclock.

So how can you know for sure?

You cant, entirely my point. 

whilst obviously possible, they are now very rare unless the cooler is mishandled.

You cant say VERY rare. You cant make any definitive claims like that. We can only speculate. We cant say rare, very rare, extremely rare, or extraordinarily rare. Its speculation. The other issue of course is how we subjectively define those terms. Until manufacturers release failure rates, which they probably never will, we cant be so definitive.

Reports of spontaneous leaks after the system has been in use for some time are few and far between when you consider the number of AIOs out there.

Again, there are no figures available for that. Speculation. "less common" is all I'l agree to. 😀

<--- proud owner of a Noctua NH-U14S with Secufirm 2 mounting system.....and even more proud that I built the entire PC myself :cool:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

16 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

And how is your data point different from my data point?  It's rare, less common, doesn't happen often, 1 in 10 Million units sold, etc. ... if you want real data points, contact Corsair or Koolance, I did.  If AIO's are failing beyond "rare", they wouldn't still be selling them because word would get out.

Anyway, moving forward ... Corsair will replace any faulty AIO and any components it might have damaged provided they confirm it was their failure and not something else (aka user induced failure).  So if going AIO, check the warranty details.

Either way you go, big air coolers or good quality AIO will produce very similar results ... the advantages I see in water cooling is:

• With a sufficient large water/coolant radiators (360 or 480) the fans rarely ramp up so noise low
  • Easier to mount and don't get in the way
  • Less stress on the motherboard/socket area due to less weight
  • Can be extended as need (i.e. if you want to cool the GPU and/or VRM)
  • Aesthetics

Custom loops with quick disconnect fittings are my preferred because it makes them very easy to extend and interchange components as needed.

If you do go air, I would recommend Noctua but there other options.  If you go water, I'd recommend a custom water loop and quality fittings OR go with an AIO that has a good warranty that covers damages.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Since my Corsair H100i is only 240mm, replacing it with a Corsair H150 with 360 or 420mm radiator should allow for lower temps and less fan noise? Right now in order to keep the noise level under control, I have the max fan setting at 55 percent on a custom curve with temps at 40C. I realize that you cannot get temps below room temp unless you have some sort of refrigeration cooling but would like to have enough excess cooling capacity to reduce the need for the fans turning 2400-2600 rpm. Right now they turn around 1400 rpm when I have the cooling cure set to the above 55 percent max level.

I have the space in the Fractal R6 USB-C case for a larger top radiator now since I have removed all of the additional drive bays to optimize the air flow from the two front case fans. Also should I consider a 140 mm fan vs the 120 mm? Generally the larger fan turns slower to move the d

same volume of air although looking at Corsairs site, it appears that the opposite is the fact. The 120 is turning 1600 rpm and the 140 mm is turning 2400 rpm at max speeds.

Since I not or considering overclocking the 9900K, I know the max temps will never reach a point to thermal throttle my system. I just want a quiet running box sitting on the desk that can run anything that X-Plane orMicrosoft might throw at it.

Terry

PS: I wonder how much the EVGA RTX 2080 is heating up the air going through the AIO? It has been running in the low 50's under load (X-Plane 11.41) and 45-48C at idle. Since it is directly below the AIO cooler even with the rear fan between them, could this extra heat be putting more strain on the CPU cooling system? I only have a 1080P Samsung 40 inch TV/monitor right now. If I were to put a 4K monitor in the system, would that heat up the video card generating 4K vs 1080P?

Edited by Cat_Dad
spelling

1 hour ago, Cat_Dad said:

Since my Corsair H100i is only 240mm, replacing it with a Corsair H150 with 360 or 420mm radiator should allow for lower temps and less fan noise? 

H150i Pro is 8 decibels quieter than H100i in the reviews I've seen. Temp above ambient was almost the same. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13219/the-corsair-h150i-pro-rgb-aio-cooler-review/4

Edited by martin-w

I have never been bothered by excessive noise from any of the air coolers that I have used in PCs to date. My last three PCs (including the one that I have just built) have included the following fans....

• Thermaltake Frio - Intel Core i5 2500k
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo - Intel Core i5 4690k
  • Noctua NH-U14S - Intel Core i5 7600k

I checked out the information in the Asus AI Suite last night, and the CPU fan (140mm) was at 520 RPM, and the two case fans (200mm at the front, and 120mm at the rear) were at 820 RPM. They were barely audible at that level.

By the way, the idle temperatiure of my i5 7600k CPU was displayed as 29C.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png