Sign in to follow this  
thibodba57

CS C-130/L100 PANC-PASV P3Dv4

Those that know me know my first introduction into being a professional crew member was a Flight Engineer on the C-130 in the Alaska Air National Guard.  The Herk is hands down the most impressive airframe I have ever had the privilege to operate.  Every once in awhile I get a bug to fly the old bird and the past few days hasn't  been any different.  I updated my Flight! GTN, installed Simuflys CIVA INS for all my Class 2 needs, installed my TSS Soundpack, installed the TIT gauge for more accurate cruise and climb performance, and painted a Lynden Livery just for good measure.  I'll upload it to Avsim in a bit for those that might want it.  Unfortunetly I'm not having much luck getting the models working properly for the L100-30.  Its painted but the aircraft isn't operating correctly.

49478874818_44ded70c6e_b.jpg

Todays flight was from PANC to PASV.  PASV forecast is marginal weather conditions mainly due to winds so figured it would be a good challenge.  Turned out to not be much of a challenge as the herk is a masterful performer.

All loaded up ready to go with a 18000# payload.

49478873433_582f26fe82_h.jpg

Airborne out of Anchorage on the Anchorage 9

49478873633_593d9f5a31_h.jpg

In the red square is the TIT gauge.  300-310 TAS in cruise is right where its at in this slow bird.

49479575807_aaa7891b92_h.jpg

Good thing I have my GPS handy otherwise I'd be shooting the NDB, atleast the plane has an RMI to aid in the procedure but still.  Over a GPS? HA

49479575582_7c8545d03c_b.jpg

Scummy weather over the IAF but the cloud layer cleared up pretty quick and onto the winds!

49479355921_3a0d8b8dea_h.jpg

Few mile final you can see why Sparrevohn is a one way strip.  Not only one way but you had better make your Go Around decision early enough, I doubt you are outperforming the mountainous terrain at the end of RW 34.

49478874508_8f9140343f_h.jpg

Short final and you can see the crab I haven't kicked out yet.  You can see a better view of the hill behind the runway.

49478875063_1c253edba1_h.jpg

All done and in parking just in time for the snow to arrive.

49479357066_e475ab46ab_h.jpg

I hope you enjoyed viewing, it was a fun flight!  If anyone would like flying tips on the herk or anything hit me up.  Its a shame CS has let this plane kinda languish without the updates it needed, but it still a fun aircraft to fly.

Edited by thibodba57
  • Like 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Great series Brian!  And great paint too!

Yeah the Herc is probably the best all-around plane Lockheed ever created...and they made a few!

This vid of the new J model doing a loop at FARNBOROUGH kinda' actuates that. 🙂

Oh..and I made it to RJAA in one piece...LOL....yeah need to get that scenery..Narita lookin' pretty bare with default. 😐

S2T74M.jpg

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

9 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Great series Brian!  And great paint too!

Yeah the Herc is probably the best all-around plane Lockheed ever created...and they made a few!

This vid of the new J model doing a loop at FARNBOROUGH kinda' actuates that. 🙂

Oh..and I made it to RJAA in one piece...LOL....yeah need to get that scenery..Narita lookin' pretty bare with default. 😐

S2T74M.jpg

Like I said, the pay ware is phenomenal just the taxiways designations way out of date.  Made it hard to taxi around if you following a particular route.

Let me know if you want to do a fly out in the herk at some point. Might even be able to teach ya the old Carousel INS and utilize those maps I sent ya.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Great looking set, Brian, with this custom livery (and your added supplements to the CS’s base)....! Thanks for posting.

RW34 does look a challenge with those mountains at the far end, but I did also note the remark, “...Turned out to not be much of a challenge...”...🙂...

[I recall I’d purchased the CS DVD for the C-130, when it first came out, but lost it somehow during my FSX-to-SE transition...great aircraft indeed...!]

49 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

Great looking set, Brian, with this custom livery (and your added supplements to the CS’s base)....! Thanks for posting.

RW34 does look a challenge with those mountains at the far end, but I did also note the remark, “...Turned out to not be much of a challenge...”...🙂...

[I recall I’d purchased the CS DVD for the C-130, when it first came out, but lost it somehow during my FSX-to-SE transition...great aircraft indeed...!]

The default within P3D isn’t so bad.  I had to give up on the L100-30 however. The interior model (VC) is not 64-bit and wasn’t giving me issues and can’t use the standard C-130 because the fuselage is so much longer in the -30. So what I’ve settled for now is the J model and making a L-100-30J with it 😀. I think if I mix the J models cockpit with L-100-30 external frame it would work out.  Maybe I’ll include a how to when I upload all this.

Like I said initially. With a few mods this is a fun aircraft to fly.  Especially the sound set which is a must.

I'm currently PANC-PABE testing the suitability is the INS following along without being in a flight plan. Since my whole idea is to use the GPS for Class I navigation.

• Like 1

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Brian:

Now I believe I understand your reference to L-130 here...in the CS catalogue, it's (buried) in their Extra pack II (per below)...I recall I'd probably got their Extra Pack I (on top of the Base Pack, when I used to fly it, a (very) long while ago, of course)...but I never went beyond it...to Pack II...

Extra Pack II

• C-130J-30 (stretched)
• C.Mk3 (stretched)
• C-130H
• C-130H French
• C-130H-30 (stretched)
• LC-130 (on skis)
• NC-130 (AEW&C)
L-100
• AC-130 Gunship

So, (L-100-30) Frame + (C-130J) Cockpit => (L-100-30J) ....🙂...

That adaptation sounds good to me...hope it works out!!

36 minutes ago, P_7878 said:

Brian:

Now I believe I understand your reference to L-130 here...in the CS catalogue, it's (buried) in their Extra pack II (per below)...I recall I'd probably got their Extra Pack I (on top of the Base Pack, when I used to fly it, a (very) long while ago, of course)...but I never went beyond it...to Pack II...

Extra Pack II

• C-130J-30 (stretched)
• C.Mk3 (stretched)
• C-130H
• C-130H French
• C-130H-30 (stretched)
• LC-130 (on skis)
• NC-130 (AEW&C)
L-100
• AC-130 Gunship

So, (L-100-30) Frame + (C-130J) Cockpit => (L-100-30J) ....🙂...

That adaptation sounds good to me...hope it works out!!

I have the expansion packs and was able to apply a paint to the L100-30.  But the old Steam Gauge flight deck that goes with the L100-30 is not 64 bit compatible.  So now I'm using the EICAS panel which I'm not a fan of on the J model frame.  I will have to reinstall my expansion packs and use the EICAS panel with the L100-30 (non J). Anyways, I figured a way to add LAT/LONGS in the GTN so maybe adding the CIVA INS is all wasted effort.  Or maybe not, its always fun to challenge oneself.

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Understand the struggle (and appeal) to retain the (old-style) steam-gauges for the L-100...! Of course, you will have to go with what you can do (with a reasonable effort)....!

BTW, Brian, I was looking, today, a bit more on the CS website, So you're now pretty much stuck using/adapting their FSX version of C-130/L-100 into your P3D. Right? That's tough! (I did see many other aircraft there been already made P3Dv4 compatible...which is good news...I have not been there since some time...)...

The FSX version (base pack) is for $25 (nobody wants it...🙂...)...I might get it (along with, maybe, the (extra) pack for the civilian L-100 model). It has been at least 5-6 years since I last flew this SIM, and, this remains one of CS's best outputs, IMHO...(hope they upgrade it, though)..!