Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Saitek Controllers configuration for P3D

Hello all,

I vaguely remember posting this on this or another forum. In any event my problem has not been resolved. However, this time I am going to provide slightly more information.

I have a fully Saitek controller set up which comprises yoke, 2 x throttle quads, trim wheel and rudder pedals.

Please note that both throttle quadrants (new) are USB and not the round keyboard type connection for one quadrant and the other with a USB connection. This, I believe, is important because it could well be the root cause of this problem.

Up until now, I have been losing my controller configuration each time I log out of P3Dv4.5. The solution, after saving my configuration, is that each and every time I want to fly P3D, I have to import my saved configuration settings. Not such a huge problem, except that each time  I import these settings quad 1 and quad 2 are reversed. ie

Quad one axis settings is spoiler, throttle 1, throttle 2 with buttonskeys set as gearup/down to button 2, parking brakes set as button 4 and pushback start/stop set as button six.

Quad two (only axis settings set) throtte3, throttle 4 and Flaps. Note no buttons or keys assigned.

This means that even after importing my Saitek settings, I still have to reprogramme both my throttle quadrants. I now have six different Controller settings saved (all exactly the same) and each one, when imported, does the same thing.

FSUIPC is not registered so I cannot assign controllers to it.  I have registered copies of FSUIPC for FS2004, FSX and Xplane. Not P3Dv4. I have not done anything or configured anything, with any version of FSUIPC as I have not found anything which has required any more that what is available with the free version.

I have been doing this now for close on two years and I have finally had enough, mainly because I fly P3D every day and this has become extremely annoying.

P3D, and everything else, (except when advised otherwise) is "run as administrator" and P3F is installed on a stand-alone SSD which only contains P3Dv4.5 and this problem exists from clean, bare bones install on to a newly formatted SSD, The problem therefore, is not addon related. Also, and this may not be relevant, is that P3D is the only sim which is not retaining these settings.  I have installed FS2004, FSX, P3Dv4.5, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

I really do not know what other information I can provide which may be helpful, but if something comes to other minds, please, just ask.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this problem and what I can do to fix it, preferably on a permanent basis.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I'm interested to read about this.  I only have a throttle and not any other controls or 2nd throttle units.  But I've had weird problems.  Have noticed sometimes my P3D detects the throttle as "Flight Throttle Quadrant" but most of the time "Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant".   That messes things up for me.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

micstatic,

I am going to assume that you have the Saitek Pro yoke controller as opposed to the Cessna pro yoke.  Is your throttle quadrant (they are all called throttle quadrants) plugged in to a round connector in the back of the yoke. (I think this is called a PS2 connection but I am not sure)  If it is a USB connection, you may well have the same problem as I do. 

If you have the yoke/throttle combo then it will almost certainly be a PS2(?) connection with the yoke itself plugged in via a USB cable/connection. You may like to just try plugging your yoke (USB) into a different USB port and see if that has any effect whatsoever. I have to say, however, that whilst I have mine plugged into a powered USB hub(4 ports), and have changed this combination many times with no effect, your problem may just be a faulty connection, particularly if your problem is not absolutely consistent.

Whilst, I googled the use of 2 x USB throttle quadrants many times and was assured that there were no problems with that combination, my problems started when my original PS2 connected throttle threw its legs in the air and was replaced with 2 x new USB quadrants. However, if that is indeed the problem then the only solution is to buy a new yoke (complete with the PS2 connected quadrant)  Having said that, I would think long and very hard before I bought a Saitek yoke again.

Other than my suggestion of swapping out your USB connection, I am afraid I have very little to offer you except a lot of best wishes and encouragement.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hey.  I just have the throttle and it's USB.  Only happens every so often.  So in my case not a big enough deal that I want to start messing with it.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Are you running P3D as Admin when you assign the controllers?  If not, it may be that's why the bindings are only temporary - if P3D is installed to the default location (Program Files folder).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

DaveCT2003,

As I said in the first post, Quote "P3D, and everything else, (except when advised otherwise) is "run as administrator" Unquote

I do this as a matter of course. In Control panel after installation, and when installing any programme which does not preclude it in the install instructions. It is now a habit.

Even if this were not the case, I cannot imagine how the quadrants (only the quadrants) are reversed after importing them back. Everything else (trim wheel/Yoke and Pedals) is as configured and saved. 

When I initially enter P3D all my controllers settings are configured to default ... Joystick/Controllers settings and buttons/keyboard controls.  After I import (one of 6 saved configurations which are all the same) the saved settings, everything, except the quadrants, is configured correctly.

Also, and just for everyones further information, every time I uninstall and reinstall P3D, I do a complete uninstall, using control panel (uninstall programmes) I then reformat my SSD after going into Programme files, Programme files (x86) and programme data and deleting anything P3D/Lockheed Martin or folders that are anything Flight Sim related. QualityWings, iFly  etc.  From there I go to app data/Roaming, delete the Lockheed Martin folder as well as any folder, Flight Sim (P3D) related Including Navigraph etc.

P3D is then downloaded from LM site. After downloading and unzipping, P3D is then reinstalled (run as administrator) into P3D folder on the newly formatted drive. After downloading and unzipping, I click on P3D.exe/properties/compatibility and run as administrator.  

Then comes the laborious process of setting up the controller configurations and saving them. All buttons and keys settings (default) are then deleted as are the Axis settings for each controller. Each controller is then set up individually ... Buttons/keys/axis and exported. I then exit P3D after setting up each controller, and re enter P3D to set up the next controller. This whole process takes well over an hour after each install, and the settings are exported to a new file name (all are saved to the same folder)  I then exit P3D, re enter P3D to find the original settings are back to default. It is only after these installs, that I re-install all my addons "run as administrator" and then the .exe file/properties/compatibility/run as administrator for each add-on installation. This has always been trouble free, except for the P3D problem. 

I have followed these procedures since my first install of FS2004, FSX, FSX-SE, FSW and P3D (all versions)

Only after that fairly comprehensive re-install, Also please note that each of these Flight sim programmes are installed onto their own exclusive Drive. Having just installed a new 1TB NVMe SSD, I now have 9 separate drives. P3D and Xplane11 have the 1TB SSD drives. Windows 10 resides on a 500gb SSD.

I hope that clarifies everything for you and all, and if anyone can spot a flaw in these procedures, Please, Please, point them out to me.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I had all the same issues with Saitek drivers.  I switched to SpadNext controllers and haven't had any issues.  I also have a full setup with two throttle quadrants

• Upvote 1

Go into Windows Control Panel, Device Manager, Human Interface devices, and locate the items.  May need to unplug and replug them to identify.  For a PS2 quadrant connected to the yoke (round pin connector) you may have to boot Windows with the quadrant connected, then reboot with it disconnected.  I believe it will not hot-swap like a USB device.

For those you identify, check the Properties and made sure Advance Power Management is not selected.  Then do a web search for "saitekUSBfix.zip" (or .exe), -or- "USBEnhancedPowerManagementDisabler.zip" (or .EXE) and use one or the other to shut down Windows power management for Saitek devices.  See if those two steps help you overcome the issue(s).

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank,

I read a post on this very thing quite a while ago and post my last P3D re-install. So that has all been carried out and I have just rechecked ... All OK.

Also, as previously stated, My quadrants are both USB and I am fairly convinced that this is actually my problem.  I have no PS2 connection to the Yoke and I have heard that any USB to PS2 adapters do NOT work either.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hello Tony,

my freeware "Lorby AxisAndOhs" app can be used to assign and manage controllers. Maybe that could help with your problems.

I made it specifically for this purpose - I have three Saitek/Logitech TQs too, plus several other controllers from different makers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYoGxE_wsQ4

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Just bought a second USB Saitek throttle which is hooked up to the yoke but the left and middle axis (normally black and blue) is only recognized as aileron/elevator movements in the windows control calibration panel. No axis here at all . Only for mixture ?

FSUIPC can handle it inside P3d but thought it was strange ?

Thanks

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Oliver,

I will look into that very, very shortly mate. I imagine it is an alternative to using FSUIPC for configuring the throttles and yokes etc.

Michael,

I do not use the yoke to plug my USB quadrants into as I do not have the yoke powered.  I initially configured it this way but changed after I purchased the USB3 powered HUB. My yoke enjoys(?) its own USB3 port. I do not think it makes any difference, but could well be proven wrong.

The Windows calibration system is one I do not use.  I simply assign all that I want in the P3D Axis settings and calibrate it in P3D as well. It is not a problem for me and everything works smoothly after the calibration.

Personally, I would leave Windows 10 out of anything flight sim where possible.  In my opinion the devs have a better idea of what is going on than does MS Windows.  The same may not be said for the new MSFS apparently, but remains to be seen, and this is off topic anyway.

Good luck with your calibration woes and lets us know how you get on.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hello all,

I clearly have no idea what has happened here, but my problem has appeared to have disappeared.

I was actually downloading the Lorbi product and suffered yet another (inevitable), words not allowed but many of them anyway LOL, power failure. When it was restored about three hours later, I got into P3D and found that none of the controllers had lights to indicate their willingness to co-operate. I unplugged the Hub and the USB cable for the Yoke and reinserted them both. The lights came back on and I went into control panell/device manager and found exclamation marks on the Saitek controllers (only) I went to the Logitech site and downloaded the applicable drivers (again) I then went through the power management routine again. Then back into P3D and I noted that all was back to default. I imported my latest saving and lo and behold, the quadrants were not reversed. and all was normal.

I exited P3D and rebooted my computer. Back into P3D and controllers were configured normally. I repeated this procedure about five times over the next two days and everything is functioning normally. Before this fix( ?????? LOL) just exiting P3D, checking an email and getting back into P3D caused all settings to restore to default and after importing the saved settings, the quadrants to be reversed.

I have redownloaded the Lorbi app but will keep it in reserve for the time being.

Again, thank you all for your help

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:37 AM, himmelhorse said:

I have redownloaded the Lorbi app but will keep it in reserve for the time being.

Hello Tony,

the app would only become relevant if you want different controller assignments for different aircraft. It remembers the individual assignments on a per-aircraft basis and applies them automatically when you load the vehicle in the sim.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

41 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Hello Tony,

the app would only become relevant if you want different controller assignments for different aircraft. It remembers the individual assignments on a per-aircraft basis and applies them automatically when you load the vehicle in the sim.

Best regards

This can Also be done automatic via FSUIPC.

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png