Sign in to follow this  
G-RFRY

Flight sim survey

I have never understood why people in the larger world of flight simulation pay attention to these Navigraph surveys.

It says nothing about those who don't use it, and that's a lot of us, like me. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

I have never understood why people in the larger world of flight simulation pay attention to these Navigraph surveys.

Yeah true. A company that basically sells charts that are available free online.  Trusted accurate survey...not. 

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The way I see it, these surveys are done for market research use by the flight sim industry as well as the community at large. Anyone can take the survey and you don’t have to be a subscriber to participate because its purpose is to conduct the survey on use of flight sims and not just about who uses Navigraph.

Navigraph don’t sell aircraft, scenery or provide virtual airline services which lead them to not have a business interest that could lend themselves to favor one sim over the other. Their business is to provides services whether its charts or FMC data across all platforms. That would make them more suitable in this regard to conducting such surveys since they have a thorough understanding of the industry and is less likely to slant any data in their questioning. You certainly wouldn’t want LR or Aerosoft or Microsoft to conduct what you expect an unbiased survey of the industry because the questioning maybe suspect if ones finds it design to be done in their business interest.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, aleex said:

If the sim is good enough, I don’t see any reason why people will stay with older ones.

There were reasons people stayed with FS9 after FSX was released. 🙂  Some are still with FS9.

While I'm not predicting any problems, there may be gotchas so that some people won't prefer to use it.  We don't know what these might be yet, and any potential gotchas will probably only affect a small percentage of the market.

There have been posts here where people say, "If it doesn't have X I'm not interested" although I suspect most of those people will buy it anyway. 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

There were reasons people stayed with FS9 after FSX was released. 🙂  Some are still with FS9.

While I'm not predicting any problems, there may be gotchas so that some people won't prefer to use it.  We don't know what these might be yet, and any potential gotchas will probably only affect a small percentage of the market.

There have been posts here where people say, "If it doesn't have X I'm not interested" although I suspect most of

those people will buy it anyway. 😄 

Hook

Yeah, but that’s why I said “if the sim is good enough”. 

I mean, if it was closer to P3D or XP I can understand why people won’t change it. But with we have seen so far, is years away. So as soon as 3pd start releasing content, I think a lot of people will change its main sim... (I not saying they will delete the older ones). 

For example I mostly play DCS now, because XP has lost the interest from me since MSFS was announced. But as soon as MSFS is released the idea is to convert it to my main one. 

One of the main reason why people not change it could be hardware... I understand that. 

If the new MSFS has simple flight planning and GPS navigation similar to FSX, and if you don't have to do cold and dark starts or program an FMS -- I am a buyer. I will never be a so called *hardcore simmer*. I'm 82 and would fall asleep before I got to the active runway if I had to jump through all those hoops! 😔

Too, airport charts and sectional maps make me dizzy! 😵

Bruce

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brucets said:

If the new MSFS has simple flight planning and GPS navigation similar to FSX, and if you don't have to do cold and dark starts or program an FMS -- I am a buyer. I will never be a so called *hardcore simmer*. I'm 82 and would fall asleep before I got to the active runway if I had to jump through all those hoops! 😔

Too, airport charts and sectional maps make me dizzy! 😵

Bruce

I've been using flightsim for 20+ years, and I agree.  I don't need everything to be 100% accurate, I'd become a pilot if I wanted that.

• Like 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

13 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I don't need everything to be 100% accurate, I'd become a pilot if I wanted that.

If I wanted to be pilot, I couldn’t : too old, too bad a sight, too expensive to fly to maintain proficiency. So accurate procedures and realistic flying model are important for me. 100% accurate I don’t know but as convincing as possible.  

But, honestly speaking, I might add that I’ve been shying away, these recent years, from the procedural complexities  of airliners and focusing  on GA and warbirds. For those, the procedures are simple enough, the complexity is in the flying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Age, health issues, money issues.  The only thing we have plenty of at our age is time to fly and that'll run out all too soon. 😄  I was contemplating just today whether I'm agile enough to even get into and out of a Cessna 172.

Procedures and accuracy don't have to be 100% perfect.  They just have to be Good Enough.  From what we've seen the MSFS default aircraft should hit a happy medium on this and any complexity is likely to be optional.  

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Nearly everyone will switch. The new MSFS is a quantum leap that will eventually lead to a VR Holodeck experience, not unlike the simulator on the STNG Enterprise.  As fidelity increases the virtual world will become nearly indistinguishable from the real world.  Total immersion.  It will become a life simulator of which flight is only a part.  Want to climb Kilimanjaro? There's a scenario for that. Base-jumping. Driving. Trains. Hike the Appalachian Trail. Travel to Mars . . . All existing simultaneously in the same interactive universe in real-time. Meetings, parties, or walk into the virtual Amazon store and place your order.

Maybe they can eventually have their wars in the cloud and leave the natural world alone lol.

So the flight aspect is only the beginning. This could eventually rival or replace television as a common device in every home. This new sim is the beginning of a paradigm-changing concept . . .

Everyone will switch.

🙂

JT

Edited by Justin Toposim
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I had a hunch that the quality of weed has hit another low...(HINT:Joke)

Edited by adino

58 minutes ago, Justin Toposim said:

Nearly everyone will switch. The new MSFS is a quantum leap that will eventually lead to a VR Holodeck experience, not unlike the simulator on the STNG Enterprise.  As fidelity increases the virtual world will become nearly indistinguishable from the real world.  Total immersion.  It will become a life simulator of which flight is only a part.  Want to climb Kilimanjaro? There's a scenario for that. Base-jumping. Driving. Trains. Hike the Appalachian Trail. Travel to Mars . . . All existing simultaneously in the same interactive universe in real-time. Meetings, parties, or walk into the virtual Amazon store and place your order.

Maybe they can eventually have their wars in the cloud and leave the natural world alone lol.

So the flight aspect is only the beginning. This could eventually rival or replace television as a common device in every home. This new sim is the beginning of a paradigm-changing concept . . .

Everyone will switch.

🙂

JT

This man has vision 😀

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Justin Toposim said:

So the flight aspect is only the beginning. This could eventually rival television as a common device in every home. This new sim is the beginning of a paradigm-changing concept . . .

Everyone will switch.

🙂

JT

The nice thing about this future where humans will dream their lives is that they could plugged to a network to supply electric power to the computers that will make them dream. No more pollution !  Have I understood what you mean 😉 ? Now where is my blue pill ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam