Sign in to follow this  
rowcoach

5000ft Plateau near KLAS - Solved

Evening,

I noticed something off this afternoon. Flying the SUNST4 sid into KLAS, I saw a huge plateau just past Hoover Dam. When I looked on the P3D map, there was an airport with the ICAO RN01 (right beside another airport called U30). The name that’s displayed is Randolph-Turning Point 1. I’ve checked my add on folder and used ADE to search the default airports, but no luck finding an airport named RN01. I can select it from the airport menu. 

Does anyone know what this is and/or how I can get rid of it?

Thank you,

Colin

EDIT - figured it out. If you have the MAIW traffic pack, there is a folder in there for Global Waypoints. Apparently, there are over 700 ‘random’ waypoints. Not sure what they are for. But at least the first mystery is solved.

Edited by rowcoach
  • Like 1

Perhaps it is a military-only waypoint. The Vegas area has a ton of military traffic due to Nellis AFB being there. And since you use MAIW, I bet that is what it is. BTW, airnav.com (real life US airport/navigation directory(has no airport with the ICAO RN01. U30 is Temple Bar.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

It's a flaw in the old af2 file for that Waypoint. The plateau is actually a tiny airstrip that isn't meant to display. I remember fixing this in my system years ago, so long unfortunately that I don't remember what i did to it. I will look when i get home later this evening.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

@Dave_YVR Thank you for having a look. It is quite impressive as you get close to it. It is a pretty simple, bare runway. You can start from it, but it’s too high up for a small single engine prop to start.