Sign in to follow this  
gringo97

Stay with Windows 7 or move to 10 for FSX?

I was happily using Windows 7 till support stopped. I'm now wondering whether to upgrade to Windows 10 (to have safe access to the internet), or stay with Windows 7 to run FSX etc, and dual boot with Linux for net access.

I've read several accounts of how difficult it is to get FSX running seamlessly on Windows 10. Has the situation now improved? Is it possible to run FSX on  Windows 10 without frequently having to fix and tweak things?

I have a new 1TB SSD which I want to dedicate to FSX (and MS Train Simulator).  And a separate 2TB HDD for storing data (and on which I might install Win 10 or Linux for internet access)..

Grateful for tips please on whether to set up FSX with Win 10, if not which would be the best approach in order to meet my key requirements of  a) running FSX without hassle, and b) having safe access to the internet.

My equipment is: 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5Ghz
Motherboard: ASUSTEK P8Z77-VLX
Ram: 16GB
SSD/HDD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, (Toshiba 2TB HDD)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX670
PSU: XFX PRO850W

Thank you!

I moved to Windows 10 the first week it was released and have never looked back. From FSX back in the day to every version of P3d and EVERYTHING else, it has run without issue. I just don't get what the big deal is.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks. That's encouraging. I found a lot of adverse comments and reviews on the internet, with people having a lot of difficulty running FSX from Windows 10. I'd prefer to be flying than having to tweak drivers and so on. Did everything work for you or did you have to change settings, tweak drivers etc to get it working?

If you do go to windows 10 pro (you'll have more control over when and if your OS updates itself and in general)

Go with FSX:SE because its just better than boxes FSX. Performs better, less tweaking needed.

It's a good time to make the move. I was a late adopter too. Moved to W10 myself about a year ago.

Edited by Avidean

There's a learning curve to it for sure, but it's really not nearly as scary as some would like you to believe. Never had to tweak drivers aside for installing the Nvidia set that I want to use vs what windows uses etc. 

I use 10 Home and update wise, I've only twice had an issue where a new update has done something bad to my pc, and never something that wasn't fixed by removing that specific update until it was rectified by MS within a couple days. Pro certainly isn't needed, it's more something you want to have to tell others that you have it than anything. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

50 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

There's a learning curve to it for sure, but it's really not nearly as scary as some would like you to believe.

But it is much, much, much less of a learning curve than with Windows 8, as with Windows 10 Microsoft stopped making the more traditional Windows desktop and interface so difficult to find and use.

When we brought in a new Windows 8 based laptop for my wife it nearly cost us a divorce as every time she needed help I had to sit there and cuss and pound my fist as I struggled to even find the Control Panel in Windows 8.....  and the print queue....  and her Office apps.....

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Also moved from 7 to 10 a long time ago. No problems at all. Noticeable faster and leaner.

I also bought FSX:SE but I never liked the steam interface and the constant steam updates. Uninstalled SE and steam and went back to FSX + Accel.

I also moved to Windows 10 as soon as it was released.

I also tried FSX-SE for £5 and found that it was just FSX with a few default settings reduced, so that it looked as if it performed better out of the box. I also long ago returned to FSX disk edition and still use it. 

With all due respect to everyone, there are those who have problems with software of any kind and then post in a loud manner that there is a huge problem with the software when there is not. Far fewer post that there have been no problems, except in response to topics like this one.

I have yet to see a problem with FSX that could be attributed to Windows 10 and have found them to be entirely compatible.

I haven't been able to get my boxed FSX to work since I went to Win 7 so I bought FSX:SE when it was on sale and ridiculously cheap. I'm now on a Win 10 rig and I've never been happier with FSX.

Boxed and FSX:SE both work fine in Windows 10 for me.  Upgrading is worth it, even if you are not a FSX user.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I'd recommend Windows 10-Pro 64-bit.  The Pro version costs more, but you get more control over updates.  FSX boxed vs Steam Edition?  Definitely the Steam Edition, it fixes some long standing bugs in FSX.  When installing FSX, install it to a directory outside of C:\Program Files (x86)\ .  Make your own directory, call it something like C:\Flight Sims or something you can remember.  Installing FSX in the default directory can cause issues with MS's security over the Program Files directory.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks all for the really helpful and reassuring comments. I will keep Windows 10 on my SSD and install FSX, and see how it goes.

I do have some other old games like MS Train Simulator and VSTEP Ship Simulator that I cannot get running on 10 (and don't need the speed of the SSD). So I'm considering installing Windows 7 on my secondary drive for those games, and for storage.  Does anyone have experience on setting up Windows 10 on the first drive and Windows 7 on the second drive please?  How do you switch between drives or choose a drive on boot up - is there a way without having to go into the BIOS to change the boot order?

Hello,

once you have installed both operating systems, you will have a choice after POST of which one you want to use, something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Reader

is that for two operating systems on the same drive, or also what you see if you install an O/S on each of the two drives?

Edited by gringo97