Sign in to follow this  
gringo97

Stay with Windows 7 or move to 10 for FSX?

I don't get it. I've used every Windows OS since 95. Never had an issue with any of them. I've run FSX Boxed on every OS since XP. Never had an issue with any of them. You are the master of your computer, are you not?

Each new OS looks and acts a bit different. Big deal. No tweaks needed for FSX any more.

With the cost of SSDs so low I can't see the need for HDD at all. I think the idea of having to keep different parts of what you do on different drives just isn't true any more.

Train simulator should work on W10. Pay attention to how you install it. FS 2002 works on W10. There is compatibility mode.

• Like 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

is that for two operating systems on the same drive, or also what you see if you install an O/S on each of the two drives?

Hello,

I don't think you can have two operating systems on one hard drive, unless of course you split the one HDD into two volumes.

That image is near enough what I see each time I boot the PC, obviously the large white text is not there at the bottom. Left alone, it automatically boots into Windows 10, which is set as the default OS.

Edited by Reader

I changed to Win 10 just after it was released and have had no problems at all. The only things I’d advise are:

1.  Do it as a clean install rather than an OS upgrade. It takes longer, as you have to reinstall everything, but if you just upgrade to Win 10 you can end up with legacy drivers and incompatible apps which can subsequently cause problems.

2.  Once up and running no, never click the “check for updates” button on the updates page in Win 10. According to MS, the normal update system looks for apps and drivers which may cause issues and delays the update. This is bypassed when you check manually. Just wait for the update to be offered.

3.  Set Windows Update to ignore driver updates - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10. Third party driver updates can cause as many problems as they solve. Much better to update drivers manually (if there’s really a good reason to do so - often not the case) once you’re sure they’re trouble-free.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

15 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I changed to Win 10 just after it was released and have had no problems at all. The only things I’d advise are:

1.  Do it as a clean install rather than an OS upgrade. It takes longer, as you have to reinstall everything, but if you just upgrade to Win 10 you can end up with legacy drivers and incompatible apps which can subsequently cause problems.

2.  Once up and running no, never click the “check for updates” button on the updates page in Win 10. According to MS, the normal update system looks for apps and drivers which may cause issues and delays the update. This is bypassed when you check manually. Just wait for the update to be offered.

3.  Set Windows Update to ignore driver updates - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10. Third party driver updates can cause as many problems as they solve. Much better to update drivers manually (if there’s really a good reason to do so - often not the case) once you’re sure they’re trouble-free.

Excellent advice.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

14 hours ago, bobbyjack said:

I don't get it. I've used every Windows OS since 95. Never had an issue with any of them. I've run FSX Boxed on every OS since XP. Never had an issue with any of them. You are the master of your computer, are you not?

Each new OS looks and acts a bit different. Big deal. No tweaks needed for FSX any more.

With the cost of SSDs so low I can't see the need for HDD at all. I think the idea of having to keep different parts of what you do on different drives just isn't true any more.

Train simulator should work on W10. Pay attention to how you install it. FS 2002 works on W10. There is compatibility mode.

Thanks, not everyone has had such a seamless experience though. It may depend on each individual set up?  I installed Windows 10 and so far everything works, except Youtube where the video is frozen and there is no sound!   I will install FSX later. MS Train Simular did not install for me on Windows 10, it freezes about 70% of the way in.

Sometimes installers need to be run as admin.

Did you do the update install? If so, I suggest getting W10 from Microsoft (free as long as you already have a license, your W7 license was converted to W10). Put it on a bootable USB and re-install windows that way. Why? If your W7 came with your computer, the upgrade with still have all the extra stuff you don't need from the manufacturer. This is your chance to get a new clean and better running copy..

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.