Sign in to follow this  
REBrands

New member with museum simulator questions.

I am new to this forum, so let me introduce myself.   I am a retired C-130 pilot, with 30 years combined active and Reserve, and a little over 6,000 hrs, a rather nominal amount among my peers.

I have been retired since 2004, and have started a volunteer gig at The National Museum of World War II Aviation in Colorado Springs.  One of my duties there is to provide “flight instruction” to patrons of the museum, and in particular to youngsters.  The vehicle for this is a retired Navy N3N open cockpit biplane primary pilot trainer that has had all the external covering removed so as to reveal the inner workings of the flight controls, which are still operational.

In 2017 a team of engineering students from University of Colorado, Colorado Springs took on a project to attach sensors to the flight controls as well as the throttle and mixture controls.  The control movements were then fed into an Arduino board which in turn feeds our Prepar3D program.  The results are displayed on a large monitor mounted in front of the cockpit. The student pilot sits in the cockpit and “flies” a real airplane.

The result is a remarkable experience, one that is enjoyed by the kids as well as adults and is the highlight of many folk’s visit to the museum. I get kicks out of flying it myself at quiet times.

The engineering students provided a binder of information about how they went about putting this all together, but was somewhat lacking in details of some aspects of how they did things in P3D.  I did some searching in the forum to see if I could dig up some old threads, but came up empty.

So, have I come to the right place for this?  Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

reb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I keep telling myself I should get over there and see that museum.  I've been down to the Weisbrod museum in Pueblo a few times.

I'm a retired C-141/C-20/C-37 pilot myself, fairly well-versed in both the software and hardware end of things as a result of 25+ years simming and 40+ years as a ham radio electronics geek.

And...I'm local.

Send me a PM.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello Reb

Welcome to the forums.

I’m sure Bob and many guys here will chime in and help.

Sooner or later I will visit that Museum.

Edited by RamonB

Sounds like you're in the right place to me judging by Bob's reply.

I bet you get tired of telling people that N3N is not a Stearman! 😄

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Fond memories of a diner in Colorado Springs in a KC-97 transformed into a restaurant, near the airport. But, darn it, I missed the museum !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Sounds like a fantastic simulator!

There's a home cockpit builders forum here at Avsim that may be of assistance?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio has recently started a program like yours. The Experimental Aircraft association has started one also. You might want to contact these two outfits to compare notes.

I had the reply notification checked, but didn't get any, so checked in just now.  Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah, I tell them it used to be yellow, but it's not a Steerman and point to the large poster on the wall. 

The Airplane Restaurant is just down the road from the museum.

I used to be stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB and have been to that museum dozens of times.  I have actually flown the C-130 on display there when it was flying with the test wing at WPAFB.  I belonged to EAA many years ago when I had the ambition to build a BD-5 kit. Luckily, I never got all the parts.  I would have killed myself in it.

I've lately been assisting the A&P mechanic with his work on maintaining these gems.    So I guess I also went from breaking them to (helping) fixing them. 

You can visit their web site by Googling WWII Aviation Museum.  Not sure if rules all me including the link.

https://www.worldwariiaviation.org/     link added by vgbaron

PM coming to W6KD

Edited by vgbaron
add link to museum