Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

MCE not recognizing Commands with PMDG 737 NGXu

On 2/13/2020 at 8:58 PM, LecLightning56 said:

One further thing, when attempting to set a course of 196 degrees in both the iFly 737-800 and the PMDG 737NGXu, every attempt resulted in a course of 096 degrees being set. Not sure if this is a bug.

This one is often misunderstood.

Because there are 2 sets, first one is referenced as "course 1" and course two.

Therefore...

if you want 196 on course number one, "set course 1, one nine six"

if you want 196 on course number two, "set course 2, one nine six"

Alternatively, use the other less ambiguous speech variations

nav one course one nine six

nav two course one nine six

Issue with autopilot tracked down to "timing issue in mce,exe" due to that "PMDG ap engagement rules"

FO would click the switch, then wait for some delay and re-checks to see if AP was actually turned on. If it isn't, he disconnects and tries to connect it again.

I actually had a lot of trouble engaging AP manually, even with no hardware controller plugged in.

With other planes, he just checks switch status and clicks it if required.

There was an issue with checking NAV1 freq to ILS. That will be fixed when patch is uploaded tomorrow.

OK, there you go guys.

Download this patch and manually replace files as per folder structure.

Those who only fly NGX (or NGXu) under P3D V4, need to just replace the following files

mce.exe

2 files in \Multi Crew Experience\CandC\ folder

mcpmd73X.dll in \Prepar3D\MCE dlls\ folder

3 hours ago, FS++ said:

OK, there you go guys.

Download this patch and manually replace files as per folder structure.

Those who only fly NGX (or NGXu) under P3D V4, need to just replace the following files

mce.exe

2 files in \Multi Crew Experience\CandC\ folder

mcpmd73X.dll in \Prepar3D\MCE dlls\ folder

I am sorry to report that I am having problems with this patch and the PMDG 737NGXu. When I start MCE, a black rectangular box appears on the right of the screen and once MCE has formally started up, control of the sim freezes and nothing responds to e.g. hat switch view changes and also none of the P3D menu tabs can be selected.

41 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

I am sorry to report that I am having problems with this patch and the PMDG 737NGXu. When I start MCE, a black rectangular box appears on the right of the screen and once MCE has formally started up, control of the sim freezes and nothing responds to e.g. hat switch view changes and also none of the P3D menu tabs can be selected.

Sorry about that.

It's a simple debugging message box that was left behind (confirming presence of a specific file to check whether both old and new NGX are installed). It happens when "mcpmd73X.dll" is loaded.

If you're in full screen, you may not see it and you'd get the impression of a lock-up. In windowed mode, could just close it and carry on.

Anyway, patch re-uploaded. Just re-download and replace the dll 

Thank you

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

Sorry about that.

It's a simple debugging message box that was left behind (confirming presence of a specific file to check whether both old and new NGX are installed). It happens when "mcpmd73X.dll" is loaded.

If you're in full screen, you may not see it and you'd get the impression of a lock-up. In windowed mode, could just close it and carry on.

Anyway, patch re-uploaded. Just re-download and replace the dll 

Thank you

Just test-driven the PMDG 737NGXu with the latest patch and everything seems fine. Very slick and responsive and no glitches or hiccups whatsoever.

Thank you very much for your timely response in providing the patch to rectify the issues raised. It is much appreciated.

One further thing, what would be the command for the PNF to select the VOR/LOC in the PMDG 737NGXu, please?

Edited by LecLightning56

Unfortunately I have encountered another issue. When commanding the PNF to select "approach hold on", I am getting a response "not useful unless the ILS is dialed". The ILS frequency is quite definitely tuned in correctly so there is something a little amiss with this. I am not sure if this is related to the issue that you have reported governing checking NAV1 frequency to ILS? 

Edit:

Ignore the above! I have just repeated the exercise and I can now command "approach hold engage" with no issues. However, if you would be as good as to point me in the right direction of how to command pushing the VOR/LOC button with the PMDG 737NGXu, then that would be much appreciated. I have experimented but no commands are recognized to that effect by the PNF.

Edited by LecLightning56

25 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

Unfortunately I have encountered another issue. When commanding the PNF to select "approach hold on", I am getting a response "not useful unless the ILS is dialed". The ILS frequency is quite definitely tuned in correctly so there is something a little amiss with this. I am not sure if this is related to the issue that you have reported governing checking NAV1 frequency to ILS? 

Edit:

Ignore the above! I have just repeated the exercise and I can now command "approach hold engage" with no issues. However, if you would be as good as to point me in the right direction of how to command pushing the VOR/LOC button with the PMDG 737NGXu, then that would be much appreciated. I have experimented but no commands are recognized to that effect by the PNF.

which command comes to you intuitively?

Edited by FS++

6 minutes ago, FS++ said:

which command comes to you intuitively?

I guess that would be "localizer hold engage" or perhaps "V O R  L O C hold engage".

Edited by LecLightning56

29 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

I guess that would be "localizer hold engage" or perhaps "VOR LOC hold engage".

No problem adding these to stock grammar. For now you could use any of these

(switch) localizer mode (on)

(switch) localizer hold (on)

(switch) nav mode (on)

(switch) nav hold (on)

(switch) loc course hold (on)

(switch) localizer course hold (on)

(switch) localizer track hold (on)

(switch) word is optional and can be replaced with "set" or "select"

(on) word is optional and can be replaced with "switch on", "turn on", "engage", "activate", etc...

...At least 50 other variations

It shows how hard it is to round up all possible variations, even though grammar files have been updated thousands of times. over a decade+

By the way, assuming you replaced files in <CandC> folder, "flight level change arm" command is now built-in and you can get rid of the custom command.

New speech grammar will be uploaded as soon as it's done.

Edited by FS++

7 hours ago, FS++ said:

No problem adding these to stock grammar. For now you could use any of these

(switch) localizer mode (on)

(switch) localizer hold (on)

(switch) nav mode (on)

(switch) nav hold (on)

(switch) loc course hold (on)

(switch) localizer course hold (on)

(switch) localizer track hold (on)

(switch) word is optional and can be replaced with "set" or "select"

(on) word is optional and can be replaced with "switch on", "turn on", "engage", "activate", etc...

...At least 50 other variations

It shows how hard it is to round up all possible variations, even though grammar files have been updated thousands of times. over a decade+

By the way, assuming you replaced files in <CandC> folder, "flight level change arm" command is now built-in and you can get rid of the custom command.

New speech grammar will be uploaded as soon as it's done.

The PNF acknowledges these commands but the VOR/LOC button remains unlit in the VC i.e. not engaged as far as the PMDG model is concerned. The approach hold function does however operate correctly, i.e. lit when commanded. Please investigate this issue.

Edit:

It would appear that the use of "nav hold on" does result in the VOR/LOC button switched on and lit with the PMDG 737NGXu, but "localizer hold on" does not work for me. Whether or not the new speech grammar will incorporate such expressions is unclear (unless it already does), but please advise accordingly.

Edited by LecLightning56

5 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

The PNF acknowledges these commands but the VOR/LOC button remains unlit in the VC i.e. not engaged as far as the PMDG model is concerned. The approach hold function does however operate correctly, i.e. lit when commanded. Please investigate this issue.

Edit:

It would appear that the use of "nav hold on" does result in the VOR/LOC button switched on and lit with the PMDG 737NGXu, but "localizer hold on" does not work for me. Whether or not the new speech grammar will incorporate such expressions is unclear (unless it already does), but please advise accordingly.

Re-download patch and replace...

- mcpmd73X.dll to get the switch read and set using "LOC" related commands.

- The 2 grammar files to include all possible speech variations, including yours ("localizer hold engage" and "VOR LOC hold engage".)

17 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

It does look as if this is definitely an issue with how I am using MCE. The ILS frequency is correctly set on NAV1 but the PNF insists that "approach hold on" cannot be followed unless the ILS frequency is dialed on NAV1 (which of course it is). Please will you have a look at this.

Edit:

It may be because I am using the FSiPanel 2017 tool to position the aircraft on an approach. It would appear that if I am patient and let the aircraft stabilize fully before starting MCE, I can engage the localizer hold and approach hold without any difficulty. There could still be some sensitivity in how things are interpreted by the PNF but whether or not it is a function of when I choose to use MCE i.e. ensure that the aircraft is stabilized if I am using the FSiPanel 2017 tool for practicing an approach, or if there is something slightly amiss with the logic in MCE itself is unclear. Suffice it to say on those occasions where the PNF refused to arm the approach, the ILS frequency was definitely set correctly and the excuse given was that the ILS had not actually been dialed in. 

Edited by LecLightning56

18 minutes ago, LecLightning56 said:

It does look as if this is definitely an issue with how I am using MCE. The ILS frequency is correctly set on NAV1 but the PNF insists that "approach hold on" cannot be followed unless the ILS frequency is dialed on NAV1 (which of course it is). Please will you have a look at this.

Edit:

It may be because I am using the FSiPanel 2017 tool to position the aircraft on an approach. It would appear that if I am patient and let the aircraft stabilize fully before starting MCE, I can engage the localizer hold and approach hold without any difficulty. There could still be some sensitivity in how things are interpreted by the PNF but whether or not it is a function of when I choose to use MCE i.e. ensure that the aircraft is stabilized if I am using the FSiPanel 2017 tool for practicing an approach, or if there is something slightly amiss with the logic in MCE itself is unclear. Suffice it to say or those occasions where the PNF refused to arm the approach, the ILS frequency was definitely set correctly and the excuse given was that the ILS had not actually been dialed in. 

As long as the NAV1 freq is between 108 and 110.9 with an "odd" decimal, "108.3", 108.5", !10.3, "110.7" etc, and provided value was written correctly.  FO will definitely see that with "mce.exe" latest V2.8.3.4. Have tested with every single ILS freq (15 total)

Now if FsiPanel sets NAV1 via the SDK, then I can see a potential issue, because SDK has changed slightly with the NGUx. It's almost identical, but there are subtle changes that could trigger issues with reading data in particular.

If FsiPanel interfacing was done before NGXu release and hasn't been updated since, it needs to, otherwise can only be normally used with older variant (try that).

As far as MCE is concerned, the only issue that may affect you, is when for some reason the dll doesn't clearly identify which variant you're on (especially for users who have both installed). The way to check is to redo the GPU connection test. Since the clicking sequence is different, you will know for sure whether the dll got it right, thus interfacing plane with the correct SDK as it's expected to do.

To make sure, you can always ask FO, "nav one (frequency) one one zero decimal three" (or whatever freq).

As far as AP connect/disconnect, APP arm, VOR LOC engage or AP disco are concerned, should work nicely now. FO will even extinguish the AP light when he disconnects autopilot.

If you have other switches you're having issues with, feel free to report them