Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 6th-ish, 2020 – Development Update

As it was mentioned above,the photos shown as examples are overexposed. They are usually preferred for tourism posters and post cards... They are overexposed and made glamorous for a purpose. When I flew with my cousin back in the late 90s I remember the city lights were not that bright. 

To reproduce reality as is in visual art, we must never use photography: That was what my art teacher used to tell us in College. Figurative drawing and painting is academically taught using live models and real landscapes rather than photography...

This being said, I really love this MSFS city at night, although it indeed looks as if it's taken from the lens of a camera rather than human eye. I can see my art teacher making a facepalm if he hears me saying this. I just prefer a touch of glam in flight simulation

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

I prefer that the simulator represent what the human eyes of pilots see as much as possible. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

The second pic was a very quick screenshot taken using default scenery and no reshade in response to someone claiming accurate window sizes were to much to expect from any sim.

Which is the only fair way of comparing the two sims as of now. You can be sure that MSFS will evolve over time. But out of the box, it offers a better result than anything else on the market. And the gap is not even close. Mainly because the market was kind of stagnant the past 10 years.

You can make X-Plane look comparable to MSFS if you invest lot of time and money. OrbX, Ortho, HD mesh, xEnviro, reshade and Co... And even then it will only cover parts of the world and / or occupy huge amounts of hard disk space.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

12 minutes ago, irrics said:

I prefer that the simulator represent what the human eyes of pilots see as much as possible. 

Yes I used to agree until I started creating scenery and observing the trend in global environment mods in the latest flight simulators out there.

I noticed that flight simulator users tend to prefer saturated colors for landscapes and skies and exaggerated light bloom for night lights and such effects that are proper to glam photography...

For some reason, I started to see that what human eyes sees is not that appealing for flight sim users. The hazy and washed out landscapes as well as dimmed street lights are quickly replaced with more vivid alternatives.

Yet we know that overexposed effects of night lights in flight simulators are not useful to pick your runway in the jungle of bright lights. This would not be safe or allowed in the real world... 

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

A debate come from die hard X-Plane fan*boys and hype train parties is not going anywhere.

On second thought. OH MAN did I waste the time again?

Edited by Harvgordon

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

Come on guys. Quit arguing Please. 

• Upvote 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Yeah this fighting about what's better is tiresome. On the other hand I do hope (I doubt it'd be any other way) Microsoft will not be influenced by false feedback from the community.

I agree. I read more than I post and the arguing is tiresome to read. 

Some of what msparks posts is valid critique and some is nonsense but it’s been shown time and time again that arguing with him gets nowhere. If it bothers too much, stop responding or ignore him. 

I think it’s good that there are pessimists, they are far more critical than many of us are and when they say things that are objectively wrong or foolish it’s interesting, maybe even entertaining, to see how their mind works. All valid contributions.

51 minutes ago, Anthracite said:

I agree. I read more than I post and the arguing is tiresome to read. 

Some of what msparks posts is valid critique and some is nonsense but it’s been shown time and time again that arguing with him gets nowhere. If it bothers too much, stop responding or ignore him. 

I think it’s good that there are pessimists, they are far more critical than many of us are and when they say things that are objectively wrong or foolish it’s interesting, maybe even entertaining, to see how their mind works. All valid contributions.

I only half agree with you on that.

I'm against the censure, and I'm just like you, in agreement with the critical postures. Besides, it is the critical postures that can improve the project over time.

On the other hand, I disagree when the criticism is intentionally there to denigrate a project, rather than to advance it. And concretely, many criticisms are only justified by the desire not to see a competitor to what already exists. It's a great disappointment, because the more successful the Flight Simulator project is, the more the competition will make progress.

Some messages have been deleted here, but these messages were a demonstration of what I have just said.

There are many forums in AVSIM, P3D, X-plane, FSX forums etc... This one, for the new Flight Simulator, would be much more pleasant to read, if those who participate in it really share a desire to see this project succeed. With critics, of course, but constructive, not closed.

It's all in the sentence for example saying, reducing the light a little would make the number of windows better, is more constructive than saying, the light is painted by a 6 year old child for a children's game, look at me I have better, my simulator, it's a real pro thing. 

I'm caricatured, only to make me understand, those aren't exactly his words, but the second sentence is like saying that everyone who is interested in this project is an enlightened person, and that this project is a scam.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, azulkb said:

I only half agree with you on that....

I struggle to admonish the bluster because I’m reminded that a lot of the rhetoric is sterilised when the communication is entirely text. What reads as denigrating is often poorly communicated humour and tongue-in-cheek, sometimes they’re just looking to stir the pot and responding to them is just giving them what they want.

I like to pretend that we all have good intentions, even those who are a little bit salty over perceived or objective failures of certain projects or development studios/publishers in the past.

I agree that it’d be much better to have everyone communicating in a reasonable way, without the hyperbole or impassioned criticism. I just don’t think that the people who are guilty of it are likely to change, through want or need, to achieve this aim. They probably want the drama, so the best thing people can do is gloss over it, they’ll soon get bored and leave.

I saw most of the deleted posts and all that surprises me is that people give them the time of day. I’m sure there is a famous quote somewhere that adequately describes what you achieve by arguing with fools.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Don't worry, someone pointed out the lights are from the unnatural grouping of about 6 adjacent lit windows, giving the effect that the windows are bigger than they actually are.  So if Asobo fixes that it'll look great.

I'm not worried about anything.

Given what I've seen so far, I couldn't care less about if the night lights on buildings look slightly too large.

What we have seen is a generational leap in flight simulator technology.  I just want to start using it, the night windows are fine with me, they can "fix" that when they get around to it.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, siggy said:

It's incredible, there are even rain puddles on the floor, they must have left the hangar doors open for too long or the rain was as heavy as it is here today.

well, while I understand that that hangar picture is a screenshot I am still expecting somehow that is a static view when selecting an aircraft, like any of those screenshots of other games which are not actually taken from the game itself but which are rather splash screens. Unless you can actually walk around that aircraft in the hangar, then I stand corrected. 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Yeah just agree with everything that guy says and he'll probably get bored. The problem is there are new people joining the forum that don't know what has been going on and end up taking the bait. Reasonable people are able to point out issues while maintaining a level headed outlook like what happened with the snow video where we could all see clearly that something was off with the trees. There's an issue, Asobo might take care of it, we move on. Then you have folks looking at that and then coming to strange conclusions by taking these things as an indicator of the dev's abilities and ultimately where the sim will end up.

Just last night I was telling a mod that multiple threads have been closed because of a particular person and then two posts later the thread was closed lol.

Anyway, OT: I like how the new screens confirm that more planes were made available to testers in the Alpha. Bonaza and Cub confirmed so far and I wonder if there's even more.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

A little detail I like - they seem to actually have put things like 3D grass on scenery analyzed as fields by the AI.

This way you can overcome shortcomings of Bing coverage (bad resolution, color mismatches) and make it look more realistic than with an Ortho wallpaper - especially when landing or flying low.

This sim will be awesome.

• We get a few orthogrammetry cities that are on a level with good payware addons.
  • We get AI created autogen buildings at other cities, based on map and imagery info.
  • We get realistic scenery with 3D objects like grass, trees and so on, based on imagery data as well.
  • Clouds are volumetric, with 3D rain, rainbows.
  • Simulation of moving air masses.
  • A modern flight model based on a solid foundation.

Someone said, this is not gonna be the best sim ever. That depends heavily on what your priorities are. But I guess if you had to choose one, it comes pretty close to it.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved